VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I already posted one brilliant flyer from one of my Sierra boxes. Now I have acquired a new game and it contains a nice 10th anniversary catalogue. I will be posting a video about that soon, so stay tuned... Meanwhile enjoy these two pages from the catalogue about "Music Cards". I tell you, this "GameBlaster" is the future! Which is why I will definitely build the replica...

Music Cards 0.jpg
Filename
Music Cards 0.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Music Cards 1.jpg
Filename
Music Cards 1.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 12, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember this ad in one of my Sierra games back in the day! In fact I even sent off for that demo tape and I remember listening to the music from it. It was from that demo tape that I eventually got an Adlib card like a year later I think? I have no idea what happened to that tape though as it was lost through the years and my parents divorce in the early 90s.

I seem to recall I had something similar to this from Lucasfilm games as well? I also think I had a demo tape or possibly CD? But I could be drinking my bathwater on that.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 2 of 12, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for scanning these. I'd love to find this "EASE" software to try it with my MT-32 sometime.

CrossBow777: not sure if this is what you were thinking of but my copy of LOOM came with an audio tape back in the day.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 3 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, Loom came with an audioplay I think which told a bit of the story. However Sierra sent out free sample tapes with sample music from the sound cards they were selling.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for posting this ad. I really enjoyed reading it!

Would have been really cool to experience that stuff back in the day...

I'm assuming this was probably from 1988-1989. I was only 2 or 3 years old, so I had no idea this was going on. 🤣

Wouldn't mind finding one of those old demo tapes some day... 😲

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I fnd it also extremely intriguing that they offered updated sound drivers via their BBS! That added sound capabilities to older games that did not support certain sound cards when they were first published.

Bonus question for the younglings: what's a BBS? :]

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 6 of 12, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:

Thanks for scanning these. I'd love to find this "EASE" software to try it with my MT-32 sometime.

CrossBow777: not sure if this is what you were thinking of but my copy of LOOM came with an audio tape back in the day.

No I know about that as well. That actually did come on both tape and CD which, is the version I have now as it came with my "talkie" version of Loom that I own.

No...I had the Sierra demo tape when I was about 14 or so years old just like what is described in the insert above that was scanned. I remember when they played back the opening intro to SQ3 on that tape on the MT-32..and my jaw pretty much hit the floor. I'd never heard anything like that and was quite familiar with how it sounded through the PC speaker...🤣.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 8 of 12, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I loved reading these when they came with my Sierra games. I wanted so much as a kid to be able to have an MT-32. It's cheesy, but when I finally got an MT-32 a couple months ago and fired up a couple Sierra games with it, it actually brought me to tears - so many memories and finally, I've got one. :') Lots of memories.

Reply 9 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thallanor wrote:

I loved reading these when they came with my Sierra games. I wanted so much as a kid to be able to have an MT-32. It's cheesy, but when I finally got an MT-32 a couple months ago and fired up a couple Sierra games with it, it actually brought me to tears - so many memories and finally, I've got one. :') Lots of memories.

I can totally relate. Felt the same when my first assembled AdLib clone worked. Always wanted an AdLib as a kid.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 10 of 12, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for these scans! I'd love to hear the demo tape... if a copy exists somewhere.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 11 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Beegle wrote:

Thanks for these scans! I'd love to hear the demo tape... if a copy exists somewhere.

Youtube is your friend:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query= … e+Sierra+Lounge

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 12, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Beegle wrote:

Youtube is your friend:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query= … e+Sierra+Lounge

My mistake - didn't even bother searching as I expected it would not be there. Thanks!

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database