VOGONS

MUS-1099 GameBlaster Sound Card

Topic actions

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the cards that I have never tried yet is the GameBlaster. There is an open source project for a compatible card:
https://github.com/gemedetpaps/MUS-1099
I have already sourced a handful of the synth and amp ICs and would like to build 3-5 of those cards (due to minimum order of PCBs). Would anyone be interested in having one as well? I will build the card nevertheless, as a hobby, but instead of trying to get rid of the excess cards via eBay, maybe one of you guys rather want it.
Estimated timeframe is the next 2-3 months to complete the project.
If there is any interest, PM me.

Also: Did anyone here already build one of those? What are the experiences?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will make a calculation over the weekend, create a Mouser project for parts cost and get a quote from Aisler and alternative PCB makers. I'll post the cost and a link to the Mouser project here then.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mouser parts list comes out at 25€ after tax per card. Add to that 4€ for the obsolete ICs and 6€ for the PCBs from jlcpcb. Those will come in at least 10 PCBs... so I will have to get rid of quite a few... 😉 But it's cheaper than at Aisler...So basically materials will be 35€. Add to that soldering and drilling holes for audio jack and potentiometer, if you want a fully assembled version.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 5 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That would certainly be possible.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 6 of 137, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

i would be interested in just a PCB and a bracket. I would get the parts and assemble myself.

Same here.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, noted. I'll order 10 PCBs, and a bunch of brackets. I guess it won't be before christmas when this is done. I will prepare a google doc for when I have the stuff.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 8 of 137, by CODOR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
carlostex wrote:

i would be interested in just a PCB and a bracket. I would get the parts and assemble myself.

I bought some SAA1099s and TEA2025s off of eBay about six months ago with the intent to assemble one of these but the cost of a minimum order from various PCB manufacturers has held me back, so I'd be interested in just the PCB and bracket as well.

root42 wrote:

Judging from the thread on vcfed.org it looks like at least Scali has built one.

And speaking of that thread, has anyone found a potentiometer that fits?

Reply 9 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding the potentiometer: We will see. 😁 I have created a Mouse project and selected the suggested Bourns potentiometer. At least the footprint looks like it matches the PCB layout. But we will see once I order the actual parts...

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 10 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I have assembled a Google Doc for the project:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GUH0p … dit?usp=sharing

I will do at most 10 PCBs, so it will be at most 10 fully assembled cards, or a subset of cards, kits, PCBs and brackets. Don't want a business, I just want to make ONE card for myself. 😀 But feel free to enter what you want. First come, first serve.

The costs I have so far projected:

* Fully assembled card: 60 EUR
* Kit (PCB, components, bracket): 40 EUR
* PCB: 6 EUR
* Bracket: 4 EUR

So take your pick! PCBs are already ordered. I will wait with the components order a while when I know how many kits and fully assembled cards people want.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 12 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@carlostex and @cyclone3d: Did you see the google doc? Please add your details in there. I will try to order the stuff before christmas, if possible, So I can send out PCBs and brackets in early January, fully assembled cards later.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 13 of 137, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

I built two of them, from the original run of PCBs that veovis had made.
They work fine. There are just two small details with them:
1) There are no brackets included, so I would have to make them myself. I currently just use them without brackets
2) It's rather difficult to find the right output jacks and stereo volume pots that fit the holes in the PCB and align nicely with the slot.

So, nothing major, perfectly acceptable for a first-run.

Also, when you order SAA1099 chips, I would advise to get a few extra. I did, and I was lucky to have done so, because I received one or two duds.
A video of my card in action:
https://youtu.be/kxWg1z-yBl0

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 14 of 137, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

@carlostex and @cyclone3d: Did you see the google doc? Please add your details in there. I will try to order the stuff before christmas, if possible, So I can send out PCBs and brackets in early January, fully assembled cards later.

Got your PM. Changed from PCB and bracket to kit.

Thanks!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 137, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also would like a PCB and SAA Chips.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 18 of 137, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, there's only through holes in this project. PCBs are on their way, half of the legacy ICs are already here, rest will arrive over the next weeks. Let's hope this will all turn out good. 😀

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 19 of 137, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just out of curiosity, would this offer any additional functionality over a Sound blaster 2.0 CT1350B with a working CMS upgrade?

Very cool project!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.