VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26360 of 52354, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need to 3D print me one nowadays. are they still selling for outrageous sums?

brostenen wrote:

Recieved this Amiga500 Trapdoor cover/lid in the mail today... (Need some good cleaning)

TrapdoorCoverA500.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 26361 of 52354, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Xicor wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

So i picked up a PS/1 (another one). I already had a 386 one, but wanted the original 286 one. dallas RTC is dead as expected and the floppy is malfunctioning, but it's a nice system to have.

ordinarily, not a big deal. however, see if you can spot what it came with.

photo_2018-12-05_13-21-48.jpg

I spot the illusive ps/1 sound card....

Yep!! I've been looking for a couple of years now, and never seen one pop up. Then this PS/1 shows up, and it doesn't mention it but my friend spotted it.

I got silpheed running on it, and yep it's a lot like Tandy/pcjr 3 voice. I'm going to record a bunch of different games playing on it since there isn't a lot of material on this particular card on YouTube

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 26362 of 52354, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveJustDave wrote:
Xicor wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

So i picked up a PS/1 (another one). I already had a 386 one, but wanted the original 286 one. dallas RTC is dead as expected and the floppy is malfunctioning, but it's a nice system to have.

ordinarily, not a big deal. however, see if you can spot what it came with.

photo_2018-12-05_13-21-48.jpg

I spot the illusive ps/1 sound card....

Yep!! I've been looking for a couple of years now, and never seen one pop up. Then this PS/1 shows up, and it doesn't mention it but my friend spotted it.

I got silpheed running on it, and yep it's a lot like Tandy/pcjr 3 voice. I'm going to record a bunch of different games playing on it since there isn't a lot of material on this particular card on YouTube

The memory expansion is also hard to find. Had to make my own 2mb module. You can convert the standard 512k module if you are soldering savvy.

The https://ps1stuff.wordpress.com/ site was extremely useful to restore one of my ps/1-2011 to working condition.

Reply 26363 of 52354, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lot of old IDE hard-drives. Some under 500mb.
I really like the Conner drives for there “Clicky” retro sound. Good for DOS and Win3x. Good for a retro 368 or 486.
For performance and reliability I would go with and IBM or WD. However all these drives are still working good so they have withstood the test of endurance.

IBM
Maxtor
Quantum
Seagate
Conner
WD - Western Digital

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-12-06, 19:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26364 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know you want one of these sexy beasts. Come on... admit it. You have a deep burning inner desire for this insanely well engineered piece of hardware.

mwavefront.JPG
Filename
mwavefront.JPG
File size
925.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
liqlips.gif
Filename
liqlips.gif
File size
245.02 KiB
Views
File license
mwaveback.JPG
Filename
mwaveback.JPG
File size
927.47 KiB
Views
File license
mwaveports.JPG
Filename
mwaveports.JPG
File size
777.6 KiB
Views
File license

Yes. I am now a proud owner of one of these. Found it in that PPro lot.

Reply 26365 of 52354, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, the old IBM Mwave sound card. Does it support the Wavetable Daughterboards?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 26367 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Ah, the old IBM Mwave sound card. Does it support the Wavetable Daughterboards?

Have no idea and my daughter boards are not with me to test either. I might actually install this, if someone knows where the drivers are, and see what all this hype is about its extreme quality sound. Mwahahaha...

P.S. - Nevermind, seems drivers are readily available.

Reply 26368 of 52354, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Readily available but a complete pain-in-the-arse to install. Only OS I've had success with is Win98SE, I had repeated miserable failures with Win95.

Reply 26369 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Readily available but a complete pain-in-the-arse to install. Only OS I've had success with is Win98SE, I had repeated miserable failures with Win95.

I've heard the audio quality actually goes down if using the modem portion at the same time? I think LB told me something like that. Seems like a strange beast to me so I'm fascinated.

Reply 26370 of 52354, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
dionb wrote:

I've heard the audio quality actually goes down if using the modem portion at the same time? I think LB told me something like that. Seems like a strange beast to me so I'm fascinated.

This is definitely true for the MWave/modem combo cards that usually made up the second layer of the "mainboard sandwich" that is the Thinkpad 760. (Either that or no modem and only ESS audio which is MUCH better!)

Also the SB emulation is god awful.

Reply 26371 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jaZz_KCS wrote:
liqmat wrote:
dionb wrote:

This is definitely true for the MWave/modem combo cards that usually made up the second layer of the "mainboard sandwich" that is the Thinkpad 760. (Either that or no modem and only ESS audio which is MUCH better!)

Also the SB emulation is god awful.

I can't wait. 🤣

Reply 26372 of 52354, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

This lot was on sale for less than $5 so I grabbed it. Appears to be an Elpina M537D (VX_Pro+) V5.2 (how much memory can the VXPro+ i.e. VIA VPX cache?). The motherboard is sold as not working, which is not surprising as it is missing two caps market purple, and one component seems to be partially torn off (marked red). Can anyone tell me what the red marked component is called, how I can determine its rating and whether it can be fixed or replaced?

VXPRO+.jpg

The soundcard is a chipset I didn't have before (Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 3D PnP V.5 AV310 - I already have the AV309 version with CS4232, but this one appears to be the AV310 version with CMI8330)

The guy threw in a PCI Trio64V+ and I caved in and bought the lot, it will be worth it for the sound and video card alone; I will repair and restore the M537D too.. VXPro+ is apparently a VIA VPX, not a bad chipset. It only has half the max cache (1MB of 2MB) apparently and the rest is fake, but I can live with it.

Seeing as this board can actually cache more than 64MB with 1MB L2, would it be a good board to run K6-2 etc. on? Appears to go as low as 2.5V on voltage, which should be safe-ish for a 2.2V K6-2? Or is a move from TX and 64MB to a VPX and 128MB not worth it?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26373 of 52354, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I bought a Sony Mavic too last month. Mine came with a pack of floppies too.
Nice Camera's.

That's a nice looking one, what model is it?

Mine hasn't arrived yet but I look forward to playing with it, I expect it will look a tad more modern than I'm hoping. I'd like to take some pics with fluffed timestamps set in the 90s that also look like a low quality 90s shot.

Either way I bought the lot for the floppies so this is a fun bonus

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 26374 of 52354, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

- PLG100-VH vocal harmony
- PLG100-DX DX7 FM synthesis

Any games make use of/enhanced by these?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 26375 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doaks80 wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Nope, totally for music production... I wonder if you can re-route midi to them though. That would be pretty trippy to have DX7 play your MIDI.

I have an SY-99 keyboard (FM + Synth). I haven't tried using it for MIDI in games though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26376 of 52354, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DaveJustDave wrote:

I need to 3D print me one nowadays. are they still selling for outrageous sums?

brostenen wrote:

Recieved this Amiga500 Trapdoor cover/lid in the mail today... (Need some good cleaning)

TrapdoorCoverA500.jpg

Actually not. I think they are cheap enough, even for an original. An original that are cleaned by the seller, might be a bit on the pricy side.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpr ... 3020098970

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 26377 of 52354, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
doaks80 wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Nope, totally for music production... I wonder if you can re-route midi to them though. That would be pretty trippy to have DX7 play your MIDI.

I have an SY-99 keyboard (FM + Synth). I haven't tried using it for MIDI in games though.

Well you can of course reroute the MIDI out from you main soundcard to the MIDI in of the SW1000XG and have it or the sW60XG playback the General MIDI soundtrack of your games, which will make the MT32 pale in comparison.

Reply 26378 of 52354, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought these 2 days ago and just arrived:

vintage.jpg

A Matrox Millennium, soon serve as a friend for my Maxi Gamer 3D Voodoo.
An Elsa Erazor X2-A32 to help my Pentium 3 733MHz Slot1 CPU as soon as I find a good motherboard (Abit BF6 maybe?).
ATi Mach64, I'm planning to use it with a non-MMX Pentium. I have an SY016 with a Gigabyte GA-586T2 though I didn't have the time to test them.
And lastly an MSI G4Ti4200-TD64 with a really ugly heatsink for my Pentium III-S 1.26GHz Tualatin.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 26379 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jaZz_KCS wrote:

Well you can of course reroute the MIDI out from you main soundcard to the MIDI in of the SW1000XG and have it or the sW60XG playback the General MIDI soundtrack of your games, which will make the MT32 pale in comparison.

Right.. but since I do not have any daughterboards for my SW1000XG, I was unsure if I would be able to reroute it for a game to use.

Not sure I would say that the SW1000XG would sound better than the MT-32 for games that were made to use the MT-32. Probably just preference though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK