VOGONS

First post, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So ive been taking apart Slot 1 machines i have in storage for their sweet Pentium II and III cpus to use for a project i have in mind.
(4 slot 1 computers for a lan party)
for some windows 95/98 games and later era dos games.
I would assume most windwos 98 era games benifit from a faster cpu with a 133 fsb but i am not sure about dos games, if they would run better on another setup i might just go ahead and do that. any help would be much appreciated

i just built an GA-6BXC Rev:1.7 PIII 450 @600 mhz 133FSB voodoo 2 sli / ga-622-32c NVIDIA TNT2™ Model 64
the other motherboards i will be using are 2 Asus p2b's and 1 asus p2b-vm

Reply 1 of 7, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think most late DOS game would be fine with any Slot 1 CPU, even an early Pentium 2 with 66 MHz FSB. That is to say, a faster system won't hurt them, but you probably won't see any benefit.

In my experience, however, a 440BX motherboard like your Gigabyte would run more stable at 100 MHz, so I would stick to that. But that's just me — a lot of people use 133 MHz without any issues.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 7, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

I think most late DOS game would be fine with any Slot 1 CPU, even an early Pentium 2 with 66 MHz FSB. That is to say, a faster system won't hurt them, but you probably won't see any benefit.

good to know thanks

jheronimus wrote:

In my experience, however, a 440BX motherboard like your Gigabyte would run more stable at 100 MHz, so I would stick to that. But that's just me — a lot of people use 133 MHz without any issues.

so far the games i ran worked fine no system hang ups, smooth gameplay (maybe i got lucky)

Reply 3 of 7, by Der_Richter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ones that are tied to CPU for timing will have issues. But that would be the minority. Especially so with the later DOS games, that would normally sync internally and not use the unconstrained game loop methods of some past games, that would end up running way too fast and with timing issues on later CPUs. So I’d say you’ll be fine.

Preserver, refurbisher, collector. In that order.

Reply 4 of 7, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Der_Richter wrote:

The ones that are tied to CPU for timing will have issues. But that would be the minority. Especially so with the later DOS games, that would normally sync internally and not use the unconstrained game loop methods of some past games, that would end up running way too fast and with timing issues on later CPUs. So I’d say you’ll be fine.

this is all good to know, but would build engine games like redneck rampage, terminator, duke 3d see improvements in game performance at 133 vs 66?

Reply 5 of 7, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i threw a PII 300@66 SL2W8 512MB(pc66) into the p2b-vm gonna see if i have the same video card and run phils benchmark pack vs the GA-6BXC 650@133 512MB(pc133). all double sided memory

how much ram would you recommend, and what would be better 3 sticks, 2 or 1(64x3 128x3 256x2 256x1 512x1)?

..so i ended up running a couple games instead of benchmarking. Some duke3d in ms-dos mode no fast vid, and twisted metal 1, the ga-6bxc ran both duke and twisted metal very smooth(not sure if it was using the voodoo cards or the gigabye tnt 2 card and the p2b-vm ran them okay but there was alot of frame dropping probably going to get these as high as they can go in terms of fsb and cpu clock. only lucked out with 1 from 97, all the others i have have locked multipliers

but i still would love to know the best ram pairing or lack there of, for these 3 channel memory slots.

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 issues I've had with faster P3 games:
DOS Warcraft 1& 2, scrolls too fast around map, Fix is either use minimap ( Warcraft) or run the Win9x Battlenet edition
Hi Octane, Runs too fast.

But not sure where the crossover is, I jumped from a P2 400 to a P3 600

as for memory pairing it makes no difference, just as long as Win98 has 256 or even better 512 just to be safe you'll be fine.

Reply 7 of 7, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arbys Guy wrote:
Der_Richter wrote:

this is all good to know, but would build engine games like redneck rampage, terminator, duke 3d see improvements in game performance at 133 vs 66?

Build games have no problems with faster CPUs AFAIK. The games will run smooth and you can even play at higher resolutions.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD