VOGONS

First post, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this with a 486 motherboard. Works, but I have no documentation on it, and the jumpers aren't labelled at all aside from the "Jx" designations. I have found no trace on Google by name, and no luck on Stason by name or likeness.

questvl.jpg
Filename
questvl.jpg
File size
402.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Any leads?

Reply 1 of 5, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't recognize it off-hand. Is there an FCC ID printed anywhere on the board? If so, it may be possible to find information by searching for that.

EDIT: I searched Google for "Appian ADI2", which is what's printed on the large IC next to the "Made in USA" stamp, and came up with this page: http://www.ryston.cz/petr/vlb/adi2.html

It unfortunately does not have any jumper information on it, but it seems to give an alternate model number of "Adaptec AIC-25VL01" that may possibly provide leads. Otherwise, like I said above, searching for the FCC ID might also give some other useful results.

Reply 2 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good idea on the FCC ID. I'll have to remove it and check on the back.

I'm still looking for a datasheet for the chipset, where I might be able to track the jumpers to pins on the IC -- and hopefully they're single-purpose pins, and not GPIOs with some custom sauce firmware. That Prima sticker will have to go, too. It seems all the Appian chip does is IDE, and all the rest of the I/O is under control of the other chip. With any luck, it's one of the garden-variety ISA controller chips and will be well-documented.

Reply 4 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, neat! Thanks! I was just thinking about this old post when that exact controller decided to stop working a couple days ago. 😉 I haven't totally thrown in the towel -- I need to test it on a different motherboard and maybe replace all its tantalum caps. (Still a little young for tantalum failure, but who knows.)

Reply 5 of 5, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's under that Prima sticker?

Those look like the jumpers I have on IO cards with a windbond W83757F controller.

They are numbered differently, but you have the bank of 8x2 and 6x3.

pti227-3[1].gif
Filename
pti227-3[1].gif
File size
134.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception