VOGONS

Asus P5A-B death ?

Topic actions

Reply 25 of 31, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would have re-capped it from the start, if the board was important to me. I have an Asus P4 board in the basement with capacitors that may as well be olives, but even if I resurrected it with hours of soldering, I would have no purpose for a 2.3GHz 32 bit system.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 26 of 31, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mister Xiado wrote:

I would have re-capped it from the start, if the board was important to me. I have an Asus P4 board in the basement with capacitors that may as well be olives, but even if I resurrected it with hours of soldering, I would have no purpose for a 2.3GHz 32 bit system.

How does replacing caps, even all the caps, on a motherboard take hours?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27 of 31, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lack of decent equipment multiplies the time it takes to perform any task. Lack of gainful employment exponentially extends the amount of time it takes to acquire such, while simultaneously erasing the motivation to do so.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 29 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oldgames79 wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Help,I recently buy a Asus P5A-B and it doesn't work
When I push the power button ON, the fan of the cpu turn ON but I have nothing on screen, no beep on startup and no POST. The screen is blank.
I have try with different RAM, PSU and CPU (AMD and Intel), I have the same result.
The CPU seems to be work, because it is hot.

Do you think that the MB need to be recap ?

Thanks

Have you done a thorough visual inspection of the board before committing it to a build?

Could you upload some clear pics of the board? Specifically of anything that might look as if damaged.

Since you bought the board, it may have damaged traces or the pins of the chipset may be damaged or bent.

This would be my best guess, seeing as other troubleshooting has proven unsuccessful.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 31, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Have you done a thorough visual inspection of the board before committing it to a build? […]
Show full quote
oldgames79 wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Help,I recently buy a Asus P5A-B and it doesn't work
When I push the power button ON, the fan of the cpu turn ON but I have nothing on screen, no beep on startup and no POST. The screen is blank.
I have try with different RAM, PSU and CPU (AMD and Intel), I have the same result.
The CPU seems to be work, because it is hot.

Do you think that the MB need to be recap ?

Thanks

Have you done a thorough visual inspection of the board before committing it to a build?

Could you upload some clear pics of the board? Specifically of anything that might look as if damaged.

Since you bought the board, it may have damaged traces or the pins of the chipset may be damaged or bent.

This would be my best guess, seeing as other troubleshooting has proven unsuccessful.

Yes, the board seems to be in perfect state.
I upload pics tonight

Reply 31 of 31, by valvoline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same board and i have the same problems. My board needs pressure applied to the northbridge chip and then it works (if i dont apply pressure it stays "dead"). Apparently the soldering is to blame, but i dont have equipment to fix it properly.