VOGONS

First post, by DaCiRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it took me a while because it could have been a messy job on a rather expensive piece of hardware but I recently decided to fix my Voodoo5 5500 PCI, I got a new DPAK transistor soldered in and the card now works great,... so I am packing and putting away the Voodoo5 5500 AGP that I was using for the last ~12 months, this one was connected to a AGP-to-PCI adapter originally built for the Voodoo 5 6000, I had it placed in the TOP PCI slot of the motherboard, right next to my GeForce AGP card .

When I first got the AGP-to-PCI adapter back in 2015 I run into two issues;

Issue #1- The Combination (Voodoo+ adapter) is way too tall. When Voodoo 5 5500 AGP is connected to the AGP-to-PCI adapter, it increases the height of the car to the point that does not fit into the computer case, to be more specific; The combination itself just fits in the case but the Molex power connector sticks out around 1,2cm and there is no way I could fit the Voodoo with the AGP-to-PCI adapter all connected to the Molex cable in the the computer case. The only option was to keep the case open with no cover,...which I did not want to do.
>>The workaround that was to modify the Molex cable by removing the plastic head, bend the connection pins and connect each cable one by one to the card connector

Issue #2- The AGP-to-PCI adapter came without a bracket (just the adapter alone) so both the Voodoo and the adapter had to rest on the Voodoo bracket, however the Voodoo bracket was too short for both the Voodoo card and the AGP-to-PCI adapter to be joined together and secured to the back panel of the computer case,...besides that without a securing bracket tall enough to reach the length of both cards the combination was very loose and untestable to the point that I though it would snap!.
>>The workaround that was to find the bracket of a PCIe to PCI adapter and use it for the AGP-to-PCI adapter, then drill some holes in both the Voodoo and the AGP-to-PCI adapter brackets to secure them together.

The result, a perfectly working Voodoo 5 AGP card connected to a PCI slot that just fit (by 2 mm) in to computer case 😀.

I though of sharing some pics before I pack it away as it might help anyone that was on the same situation. Also welcome recommendations on what other solutions you think might have been also good to get around the issues I mentioned above.

Braket.jpg
Filename
Braket.jpg
File size
598.02 KiB
Views
File comment
modified Braket
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Power.jpg
Filename