Reply 20 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
j^aws wrote:

^^ You don't have this chipset on the list:

SiS 600/5595

I've tested this with SB-Link and IIRC, S-IRQ and PC/PCI DMA settings, so should have a fallback for DDMA.

Yeah, all of them with the 5595 south bridge should work. Thanks for the heads up on the north bridge though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

ICH 5 and earlier support DDMA AFAIK but onwards is nono?

There's no mention of DDMA in the datasheets of the original ICH and ICH5. The datasheet of the PIIX4 southbridge has a lot of information regarding DDMA, so it should also work on the LX chipset.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Any chance to get VIA VT8237 southbridge to work without dsdma?

There's no mention of DDMA in the datasheets for VT8237R but the southbridge itself actually got pins for PC/PCI and serial IRQ signals but I'm pretty sure that no motherboard exists with a PC/PCI connector.

YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 28, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

ICH 5 and earlier support DDMA AFAIK but onwards is nono?

There's no mention of DDMA in the datasheets of the original ICH and ICH5. The datasheet of the PIIX4 southbridge has a lot of information regarding DDMA, so it should also work on the LX chipset.

ICH southbridges do not have DDMA. This document already mentioned about it.

2.1.1.1 Distributed DMA

Distributed DMA is not supported in any of Intel’s I/O Controller Hub variants.

Reply 24 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSS10999 wrote:

ICH southbridges do not have DDMA. This document already mentioned about it.

2.1.1.1 Distributed DMA

Distributed DMA is not supported in any of Intel’s I/O Controller Hub variants.

Thank's for the link, should be added to the first post.

YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 28, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
So looking into chipsets that support DDMA but that don't work in practice at least on some motherboards, I am thinking that DDM […]
Show full quote

So looking into chipsets that support DDMA but that don't work in practice at least on some motherboards, I am thinking that DDMA is not being enabled by the BIOS.

This looks to be a possible issue with some VIA chipset based motherboards at least. I have not looked into other chipsets yet.

I'm going to see if I can make a utility that will change the register settings to enable DDMA on these chipsets when they don't work by default.

I wonder if PCISet or WPCREDT/WPCRSET would be able to do this.... going to test and see if it does. If it does, then that would make it that much easier to make a stand-alone utility just for this purpose.

Any luck figuring out if you can enable ddma in the via chipsets?

Reply 26 of 28, by techweenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an AOpen 440LX board that I've been trying to use a Solo-1 with and haven't been successful (in DOS only). One of the earlier driver versions claims DDMA is being used, but any attempt to play sound just locks up the computer. The latest driver just says Invalid DMA type assigned. The card works perfect in Windows 3.11 and NT 4.

EDIT: Got it working in WBDMA mode by hex editing the ini file to use TDMA. I have a PC/PCI cable connected and when using that it said to run games within Windows. Why is the header even there then???

Reply 27 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try to set up PC/PCI mode by modifying the PCI registers of the Solo-1. One other option is to change PCI id's in ESSOLO.COM by using a hex editor.

YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 28, by techweenie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

You can try to set up PC/PCI mode by modifying the PCI registers of the Solo-1. One other option is to change PCI id's in ESSOLO.COM by using a hex editor.

This morning I tested PC/PCI again with the older driver version the 3.1 installer uses. It successfully activates that mode, but no DOS games I've tried produce any sound effects. MIDI always works. Looks like I'm stuck with TDMA on this motherboard. AOpen AX6LC. I have tons of ISA cards I could use, but this machine isn't really intended for DOS. I just want to be able to play Doom occasionally in between programming sessions.