VOGONS

First post, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is anyone here, that can run the fastest Slot A CPU with a Epox 7KXA Mainboard? I know that the VIA KX133 officially doesn't support Thunderbird CPUs, but I can run the current 750Mhz Version of the T-Bird without any problems, and if I install the 1 GHz version, the system hangs all the time, also with another PSU, VGA, different RAM modules and slowest bios settings. No changing!

I have searched in the web and found this:
The only VIA KX133 mainboard that works with all Thunderbird CPUs is the Asus K7V-T. Not the K7V Rev. 1.01 version without -T!

Normal KX133 boards are working stable with max. 800 MHZ Thunderbird Slot A CPUs! But no all, some only run with the classic Athlons, like the Pluto, Argon or Orion with external cache.

The K7V-T is the best performance based board for Slot A systems, better than AMD-751 based boards, like the Asus K7M. I also have a K7M, but with old Chipset revision C4, that doesn't work with Super Bypass Mode, so I don't want to use it. With this boad, the CPU runs perfekt!

So the only I can do, is to find a rare Asus K7V-T for 1GHz Thunderbird compability and one of the best performed mainboards for the Slot A. Will be hard to find as the 1 GHz T-Bird, but that is the only I can do. 😒

Attachments

• DSC01266.jpg
    Filename
    DSC01266.jpg
    File size
    1.48 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Athlon TB 1000 01.JPG
    Filename
    Athlon TB 1000 01.JPG
    File size
    69.88 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 20, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replace ALL the capacitors on the motherboard (except the 100uF and smaller). The caps on this board (TAYEH brand) are well known to go bad without any visible bulging. Same goes for the others (I'm seeing Hermei around the AGP slot)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

Replace ALL the capacitors on the motherboard (except the 100uF and smaller). The caps on this board (TAYEH brand) are well known to go bad without any visible bulging. Same goes for the others (I'm seeing Hermei around the AGP slot)

Hermei...
giphy.gif

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 20, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I compared various Orion slot A's on a KA7 motherboard (based on VIA KX133), I noticed that the 1 GHz Orion kept hanging up. When I swapped out the heatsink for a heavy copper monster with noisy fan, the 1 GHz Orion stopped hanging. Perhaps your issue is cooling related; or perhaps not. Worth a shot if recapping doesn't help, though, if 800 MHz works fine and 1 GHz doesn't, makes me think the issue is related to the CPU/cartridge/cooling.

By way of similar comparison, my dual coppermine slot 1 board would work flawlessly with 850 MHz coppermines, but not 1 GHz. Perhaps there's something w/motherboard timing that doesn't tolerate the quicker response of the 1 GHz chips, or perhaps current draw of the faster chips is too much for the motherboard's VRMs. Might want to check CPU current requirements and lookup the VRMs on your motherboard. Sometimes they can be replaced with beefier VRMs; sometimes not.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 20, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has nothing to do with cooling, because the Asus K7M 1.04 AMD-751 that I also have, works without any problems with the 1Ghz T-Bird. It is a timing issue with KX133 based boards. Here are some infos: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1069330

I will get a Asus K7V-T VIA KX133 mainboard with official Thunderbird CPU support and will post, if this solve the problems. Toms Hardware also says, that the VIA KX133 doesen't like T-Bird CPUs, but some boards can take it. The Epox 7KXA 0.4 for example can run a T-Bird with max. 800 MHz.

Reply 5 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm jealous of your Slot A 1Ghz!
Doesn't help you but bit of reading that may interest you
http://redhill.net.au/b/b-00.html

Reply 8 of 20, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Did you try an Orion-based, 1 GHz slot 1 in the motherboard you are having trouble with?

I only have Thunderbird Slot A CPUs here. The 750MHz Thunderbird works fine, also with 110MHz FSB @825MHz.
Here you can see the system in demonstration after building and making a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4m3iXZojs

You can also find on the Epox Website, that only Thunderbird with 650-800MHz are working on this board with Rev. 0.4. Classic Athlons until 1GHz are working fine.

I will get a Asus K7V-T in the next year and will report, if this will help and work with the 1GHz T-Bird. 😀

Last edited by NostalgicAslinger on 2018-12-23, 10:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 20, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The EP-7KXA 0.3 version supports Slot A CPUs up to 800MHz
The EP-7KXA 0.4 version supports Slot A CPUs up to 900MHz
The EP-7KXA+ supports Slot A CPUs up to 950MHz

Unfortunately the attached document doesnt provide information regarding the core of the Slot A CPUs that are supported.

I think that you should find an ASUS K7V-T or use the K7M even if you loose some performance. That 1GHz Slot A CPU is awesome.

Attachments

• Filename
    EPOX CPU SUPPORT.pdf
    File size
    51.96 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license

Reply 10 of 20, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robert B wrote:
The EP-7KXA 0.3 version supports Slot A CPUs up to 800MHz The EP-7KXA 0.4 version supports Slot A CPUs up to 900MHz The EP-7KXA+ […]
Show full quote

The EP-7KXA 0.3 version supports Slot A CPUs up to 800MHz
The EP-7KXA 0.4 version supports Slot A CPUs up to 900MHz
The EP-7KXA+ supports Slot A CPUs up to 950MHz

Unfortunately the attached document doesnt provide information regarding the core of the Slot A CPUs that are supported.

I think that you should find an ASUS K7V-T or use the K7M even if you lose some performance. That 1GHz Slot A CPU is awesome.

I have found a K7V-T for a good price, I will get it in the next year. 😀

This recommandation from Epox are only for the classic Athlons. Thunderbirds only working inofficially on the Epox board. I can be satisfied that the 750 T-Bird on it at least worked with the 7KXA.

Reply 11 of 20, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there , back in the days i used to use my epox k7xa as my main rig.I had bought a week 52 slot a 550mhz cpu which was in fact an 750mhz 0.25m which i had overclocked successfully to 900mhz using a vos32 globalwin heatsink.Later on i bought a thunderbird 1gig and the epox could not even post .I remember i clocked it down to 900mhz using a gloden finger device yet it never even posts.I ended up buying an MSI k7 board which worked well.I still have this hardware.Yell me if you need pics.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 12 of 20, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asus K7V-T mainboard arrived and now it runs fine with the 1 GHz Thunderbird in the first test, also Prime works fine after a few hours, also with 1 GHz and undervolting to 1,75@1,60V. 😀

Attachments

• tester.jpg
    Filename
    tester.jpg
    File size
    464.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • teste.jpg
    Filename
    teste.jpg
    File size
    660.17 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 20, by bartx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Allow me to digging 😀 I'm also facing a problems with running Athlon 1000 T-Bred. I have four boards:

Asus K7M
Gigabyte GA-7VX
MSI K7V Pro
MSI 6316 with IGP

In fact only the last board is working properly with Athlon 1000. I'm a bit disappointed about MSI K7V Pro, because it's AMD chipset, but it doesn't work either. CPU needs to be warm, then it boots, sometimes I'm able to start the Windows, but it hangs while after that.

I finally found in archives mod from Tomshardware, which turns K7V to K7V-T:

http://bierbude.spdns.org:2302/Tips%26Tricks/ … om_asus_k7v.htm

I'm going to make this mod and share some results.

Reply 14 of 20, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The K7M should work fine with the 1 GHZ T-Bird, because I also have tested this board with this CPU. K7M Rev. 1.04 and the latest Beta bios 1013.002.

Here is the CPU support for this board: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/K7M/HelpDesk_CPU/

Reply 15 of 20, by bartx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was talking about K7V, my mistake. After doing the mod, board is at least able to boot with Thunderbird, but still hangs in random moments - sometimes during post, sometimes during loading the Windows XP. I flashed the board with K7V-T bios, 1007 version first, then 1008 beta from here: Need help finding K7V-T 1008 beta BIOS 001-D

Still no luck...

I used some info from here about flashing K7V-T bios:

https://community.hwbot.org/topic/168415-taso … 0ms-superpi-1m/

Any hints? Maybe there is an important bios setting somewhere...

Reply 16 of 20, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried another PSU? A strong 5V line is very important for fast AMD Athlon Slot A/Socket A processors. Also try out another RAM sticks. I recommend good PC133 CL2 memory modules, like this ones, which I am using.

Here is a video from PhilsComputerLab of the PSU on Athlon K7 systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efK7mw8eYiE

Reply 17 of 20, by bartx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My main PSU for those old platforms is Tagan 420W i-Xeye with 42A on +5V rail. Another one has 35A. Anyway, it won't be a problem when there is no load.

This 1000MHz works only with MSI 6316 board - I bought it as a set.

No matter what I do on other boards, it cannot get it working. Maybe there is a different revision of the chipset in my board than in regular K7V-T, I cannot see any other explanation. 850MHz Orion works fine. I have to check 700MHz T-Bird.

Reply 18 of 20, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thunderbirds until 800MHz should work fine on the K7V. I have used the 750MHz T-Bird Slot A without any problems on my Epox 7KXA Rev. 0.4., also worked with an overclock to 825MHz (110MHz FSB, but only stable with a synchronous memory clock of 110MHz). You have also tested with synchronous memory clock and different memory banks and other memory brands? Also clean all the slot contacts with Isopropanol alcohol.

Also check, if the mod for the K7V is really 100% as it should be.

Reply 19 of 20, by Delerium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2018-12-22, 14:00:

I also have a K7M, but with old Chipset revision C4, that doesn't work with Super Bypass Mode, so I don't want to use it. With this boad, the CPU runs perfekt!

Do you have the Asus K7M 1.04 revision? I thought this would support Super Bypass ?