VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by chan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for what I am sure will be a foolish question but here goes. My now grown up daughter recently has shown an interest in playing some of the Epic megagames she played with as a child so her daughter can now play them. Her and my son in law now use a Mac so I was of no help for that as I use Dosbox to play them on my old PC XP system. While they were here over the Christmas holiday they downloaded Dosboxer to their Mac and with the Jill of the Jungle files I provided, and others, they had the all the games up and running in a matter of minutes. They simply dragged and dropped the files into Dosboxer and with a few steps they were able to play the games. While I am not convinced that the games played bug free, they seemed to be quite good. Is the difference between my PC and their Mac so great to make this possible.

Chan

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm assuming you're talking about Boxer http://boxerapp.com/

Boxer is basically a GUI over DOSBox but I don't know if it's developed anymore.

We obviously recommend using the official version of DOSBox but there shouldn't be any issue with using Boxer....except if it doesn't have a 64bit version so it likely will not work eventually on MacOS.
It looks like DBGL does so there's an alternative.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by chan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your response but this is what I was looking for-. I use a PC and Dosbox but my son in law uses a Mac and dosboxer. He downloaded the app and was up and running in matter of minutes and playing games. With my PC and Dosbox it took me quite awhile to edit, set up the frontend, etc. Why is the Mac so easy in comparison??? Dosboxer does have an up to date app and its so easy to be up and running its scary.

Thanks, Chan

Reply 3 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Assuming that the games you are talking about do not need to be setup or are all ready are and you do not need any additional mountings like a CD drive you can often start a game simply by dropping the game's executable on DOSBox or a shortcut to it. Fast and easy.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers