VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know Far Cry has graphical issues beyond Windows XP. Games that don't support anything beyond DirectX 9.0 might benefit, however, many run fine under Windows 10.

What games do you recommend to stick with Windows XP for? Or even Vista (for fun)

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 2 of 23, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Fallout 3

A game that came out in 2008? Why?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 3 of 23, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GiSWiG wrote:

I know Far Cry has graphical issues beyond Windows XP. Games that don't support anything beyond DirectX 9.0 might benefit, however, many run fine under Windows 10.

What games do you recommend to stick with Windows XP for? Or even Vista (for fun)

I also discovered today that FarCry has issues with multicores and you have to set affinity to 1 to get it to work.

Reply 4 of 23, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And does anyone know what will happen to an Offline Mode steam once that red alert bar goes down to "0 days until Steam stops working"? I am hoping so long as it stays offline, it will keep working. But it might just disable itself...thinking of setting the system clock back 10 years just in case.

Reply 5 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't matter what you set the date to it will just start a countdown till it will refuse to run any games until you reconnect. I don't think there is a permanent solution if you're trying to only continue using steam without hacks/cracks.

Reply 7 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doaks80 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Fallout 3

"It just works" only supports XP and Vista. Fallout 3's right before Windows 7 and was never fixed for that officially.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 23, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:

It doesn't matter what you set the date to it will just start a countdown till it will refuse to run any games until you reconnect. I don't think there is a permanent solution if you're trying to only continue using steam without hacks/cracks.

Sources? I have never heard of offline steam demanding to reconnect to run games.

Reply 9 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sources are personal experience and countless other people with the same experience. There is a whole thread on VOGONS of which this is a big part of the discussion: FYI: Steam drops XP/Vista in 2019

However, like everyone who hasn't experienced this for themselves you will shortly if you remain in offline mode and think that will work in perpetuity.

Reply 10 of 23, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Steam is a garbage way of running older games.. if you own them, you're much better off sourcing the original disks/images instead

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 12 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oohms wrote:

Steam is a garbage way of running older games.. if you own them, you're much better off sourcing the original disks/images instead

Even the Starforce ones?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 23, by Istarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
doaks80 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Fallout 3

"It just works" only supports XP and Vista. Fallout 3's right before Windows 7 and was never fixed for that officially.

I think I've only ever played Fallout 3 in Windows+. Is there some problem with it?

Reply 14 of 23, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP still excellent OS for Wide Range of Games
It can run probably 1993 games (i remember with VDMSound i can run DooM) to 2011 (probably more newer games too, i just remember i played Bulletstorm)

The good sides:
FCEUX can run in ddraw with bilinear filtering
DOSBox output image can be stretched to fill screen
Blair with projects games can use hardware acceleration with nVidia graphic , back ground bilinear filtered, and models too, native resolution,
many 3Dfx games works better on XP.
vDos if working for TombRaider and Redguard.
You can patch(hardly but possible) to run Chasm The Rift in NTVDM
You can use Rendition Verite V2200 (WinXP drivers somewhere exist on internet)
You can use PowerVR
You can use 3Dfx Voodoo 2 with community developed drivers.

32 bit games startup faster on XP.
And many more.

Personally i have 3 PC's with Windows 98 , Windows XP, Windows 7 to have ability to run everything 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 15 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaVeN-05 wrote:
Windows XP still excellent OS for Wide Range of Games […]
Show full quote

Windows XP still excellent OS for Wide Range of Games

The good sides:
many 3Dfx games works better on XP.
You can use PowerVR

bs

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 23, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

bs

ya ya =) i know Windows 98 is the best for that

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 17 of 23, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found that Star Trek Starfleet Command on both Steam and GOG do not mention Windows 10 as compatible but do state XP, Vista, 7 and 8. Steam explicitly says so.

doaks80 wrote:

I also discovered today that FarCry has issues with multicores and you have to set affinity to 1 to get it to work.

I'll have to try that. I'm using dual Radeon 6850s in Crossfire and at the beginning throughout the jungle I average a good deal over 100 FPS, hitting 200 in many places at 2560x1080. Even after lowering quality, resolution and trying a single card, it goes to below 20. Stepping out of the shack and viewing the large view of the camp across the water, it goes back up. Quite odd.

P.S. never really played the Far Cry series yet.

doaks80 wrote:

And does anyone know what will happen to an Offline Mode steam once that red alert bar goes down to "0 days until Steam stops working"? I am hoping so long as it stays offline, it will keep working. But it might just disable itself...thinking of setting the system clock back 10 years just in case.

I have doubts that the system clock trick will work. You can still copy games from your modern PC's Steam folder that don't require Steam to be running. Be sure to run at least once to get any required files such as DX9 or Visual C redists. Source ports might help with others.

oeuvre wrote:

There's always SkiFree.

and Minesweeper!

oohms wrote:

I've found many cheap games at thrift shops. The nearby library clearances out games for 10 cents each four times a year. I snagged about 40 including Warcraft games, Tomb Raider games, several SIMs, Carmen San Diego (at wife's request) Myst 1 through 4, King's Quest 5 and some version of Oregon Trail. All CD copies, no floppies unfortunately.

RaVeN-05 wrote:

Personally i have 3 PC's with Windows 98 , Windows XP, Windows 7 to have ability to run everything 🤣

Only 3? Hehe

I hope to soon finish my Voodoo 3, SB32, unlocked P2 soon for DOS and Win98, I've got an extreme Win98 PC and an extreme WinXP

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 19 of 23, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaVeN-05 wrote:

i don't need more =)

I feel the same way, DOSBOX is fantastic and actually probably better than a real Dos machine so you really don't need more than you list. I have the same setup as you except My current machine is running Windows 10, and I also have 2 dos machines, which are not neccessary but I love, a P90 and an IBM 5170.