VOGONS

Merry x-mas 2018 everyone....

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 48, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It must be said here that the 25th of December did indeed used to be a pagan holiday or something. I think it has to do with winter solstice, and the shortest day of the year or something.

Christ was actually born sometime in the summer, I think. This is calculated based on the time the scriptures say he was conceived (around the Jewish feast of Tabernacles), plus 9 months. But we celebrate on the 25th anyway.

Anyway, Merry Christmas after the fact, and a happy New Year after the fact to everyone! Hope 2019 is great!

Edit: I think we have a troll/multiple account spammer aboard, mateys...

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 42 of 48, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup, the usual trolling going on.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 48, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:
It must be said here that the 25th of December did indeed used to be a pagan holiday or something. I think it has to do with win […]
Show full quote

It must be said here that the 25th of December did indeed used to be a pagan holiday or something. I think it has to do with winter solstice, and the shortest day of the year or something.

Christ was actually born sometime in the summer, I think. This is calculated based on the time the scriptures say he was conceived (around the Jewish feast of Tabernacles), plus 9 months. But we celebrate on the 25th anyway.

Anyway, Merry Christmas after the fact, and a happy New Year after the fact to everyone! Hope 2019 is great!

Edit: I think we have a troll/multiple account spammer aboard, mateys...

If you read my post on the first page of this tread.... 😀
Merry x-mas 2018 everyone....

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 44 of 48, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Yup, the usual trolling going on.

True...
And now there is a cleanup...

OT:
Anyone got through New Year without any accidents or injurys to the body? I got two.....
I lit a couple of sparklers and was drunk enough to poke my hand with the lit end of it, funny enough, then I have not had any pain from it. And then I poured boiling water on my foot. I got a burn at the size of a pingpong ball.

Reply 45 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FuzzyLogic wrote:

I figured it out. It's Toad from Super Mario Bros / Super Mario Kart.

Merry Christmas everyone!

It kind of looks like Rover from "The Prisoner".

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 46 of 48, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It use to snow so often in the San Francisco Bay Area that there was an amusement park in the Santa Cruz mountains called “Santa’s Village” back in the 1970’s. Then the snow stopped and they closed down the park.
Well, the snow is back in San Francisco Bay Area. It does not get as cold as it use to so there is not much snow but some. It mostly rains over here but when it gets cold enough it does snow.
Sometimes we get a weather storm from the North ( jet stream ) that brings cold air and snow.
But most of the time the jet stream comes form the Pacific Ocean and just brings rain.

But we did get some snow this year, a little.
We can alway drive 3 hours north to the mountains and there is lots of snow there with ski slopes an snow parks.
But is is still nice to see snow in the Bay Area. There might be more snow coming this year.

Attachments

Reply 47 of 48, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
It use to snow so often in the San Francisco Bay Area that there was an amusement park in the Santa Cruz mountains called “Santa […]
Show full quote

It use to snow so often in the San Francisco Bay Area that there was an amusement park in the Santa Cruz mountains called “Santa’s Village” back in the 1970’s. Then the snow stopped and they closed down the park.
Well, the snow is back in San Francisco Bay Area. It does not get as cold as it use to so there is not much snow but some. It mostly rains over here but when it gets cold enough it does snow.
Sometimes we get a weather storm from the North ( jet stream ) that brings cold air and snow.
But most of the time the jet stream comes form the Pacific Ocean and just brings rain.

But we did get some snow this year, a little.
We can alway drive 3 hours north to the mountains and there is lots of snow there with ski slopes an snow parks.
But is is still nice to see snow in the Bay Area. There might be more snow coming this year.

Quite nice to see recent pictures from my grandmothers birth country. She was born in Fresno California, and her father (my great grandfather) was an immigrant from Denmark. He first worked as a caretaker at a great wheat farm, and got heatstruck during the summer, when he rode the horse around the farm to look after trespasser's. Anyway... He then started to work in the mountains of california, near the "Boole tree", and second summer, he became the one that are looking after bears and so on. He watched out with his trusty rifle and was actually second in charge next to the owner of the company. It was a German immigrant.

He made so much money after a couple of years, and then the grape harvest was bad for a couple of years. He then used the money to buy a grape farm, yet the grapes were still drying out on the fields. Then they sold these dried up grapes as someting they called Spanish delicasies or something a bit like that (I can not remember). That evolved into the co-operation called sun maid. Yes... THAT company wich are known all over the world. He used to employ Chinese and Japanese immigrants. When he wrote back to Denmark, he always complained about the Chinese workers. They were bad workers until 12 a clock, yet after lunch they had cleared their mind from opium smoking they smoked morning and evening. He loved the Japanese workers, as they were fast. A bit like Mexican workers today. He sold the farm around 1913 and went back to Denmark with 3 year old twin daughters and a wife that was on the brink of dying. She had complications from the birth because she had diabetes, and wanted to die in her birth country. If she had more time, then first world war would have hindered them going back, and I would have been an US citizen. Well... At least I am an 3'rd generation US immigrant in Denmark. So if I fuck things up good and well enough, I might get deported to America. It seems to be the norm these days here in Denmark. Even if you are born and raised here and only speak Danish, then you get deported to your parents birth country, if you kill someone.

So basically.... My grandfather helped establish a big American corporation. 😀 I think it was like 50 to 100 farmers that started it together.

Reply 48 of 48, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those were the days when you could drive around with an open beer can and drinking and driving was allowed.
Silicon Valley and much of the Bay Area was build on good rich soil from the farmers.
In the 70’s - 2000’s housing really took off and they built allot of cheap homes on this good rich farm land soil.
Much of california’s Farm land is being replaced with cheap houses.
It’s to bad because I miss those farms and farmers markets on the side of the road.
Fruit tree orchards and veagitable fields use to be everywhere in california.
The only NEW fruit tree orchard I see in the Bay Area is the one in the center of the NEW Apple space ship campus. ( Fruit tree’s of Adam and Eve ).