VOGONS

Reply 2220 of 4584, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

What does the big red dial in the yellow shroud on the wall do? 😀

My best guess is it opens a time portal, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I've been told it kills the power to the server rack just to the right. That could just be to scare me off so I don't discover the truth myself now you mention it!
Bugger it, they are on a UPS lets tr.....

Reply 2221 of 4584, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:
liqmat wrote:

What does the big red dial in the yellow shroud on the wall do? 😀

My best guess is it opens a time portal, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I've been told it kills the power to the server rack just to the right. That could just be to scare me off so I don't discover the truth myself now you mention it!
Bugger it, they are on a UPS lets tr.....

Well, considering there is no followup to this, I guess he must have travelled to the future?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2223 of 4584, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, i was able to aquire this... "thing"...

Google does not help much at all with this.

Supposedly it's a 286 @ 12MHz, but don't know much more about it.

Unopened, brand new, Sanyo MBC-27MT1, from Japan, through Finland, ended up in Estonia, stored away on 1988.

When i have some time, i'll try to make (my first) proper unboxing video + pictures about it. Before that, i'm not going to touch it.

Anybody can share anything about this mysterious computer, let me know. When i have made some pics/video of unboxing, i'll then probably start a thread for that thing. 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_164508.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20190107_164508.jpg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sanyo MBC-27MT1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2224 of 4584, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never knew that Sanyo made computers back then. The only thing I remember were Audio/Video systems, such as TVs, VCRs, DVD players, and so on. I also saw a Sanyo MBC-775 Color portable machine. Also, it's neat to see a new system from 1988 in its box left unopened.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2225 of 4584, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Never knew that Sanyo made computers back then.

Me neither.
But when it need some AA or AAA batteries for CMOS settings, i can't put anything but eneloops in there. 😁

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2226 of 4584, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote:
IMG_20190107_164508.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190107_164508.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
shiny&chrome.gif
Filename
shiny&chrome.gif
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 2227 of 4584, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Never knew that Sanyo made computers back then. The only thing I remember were Audio/Video systems, such as TVs, VCRs, DVD players, and so on. I also saw a Sanyo MBC-775 Color portable machine. Also, it's neat to see a new system from 1988 in its box left unopened.

Almost all Japanese manufacturers of audio/video equipment made computers in the early 1980s, but many never ever left Japan...

Reply 2228 of 4584, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are also automotive companies that did the same thing as well in the 1980's, like Hyundai, for example. That is mind blowing.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2229 of 4584, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

I know Sanyo made plenty of computers back then, but i thought they were only MSX. I had no idea they also made IBM-PCs, very interesting.

Reply 2230 of 4584, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

There are also automotive companies that did the same thing as well in the 1980's, like Hyundai, for example. That is mind blowing.

Only if you don't know Hyundai. It's a massive chaebol or 'conglomerate', second only to Samsung, that covers pretty much every field of industry, from construction, cars, chemicals and computers to cargo ships, generators and satellites - and even some weird shit like musical instruments, hotels and football management.

It would be odd if they didn't make computers given that line-up. They are best-known for their semiconductor business, renamed Hynix in 2001. They're the worlds second larges RAM chip manufacturer (yep, after Samsung here as well).

Reply 2231 of 4584, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

Where I live, pretty much every electronics manufacturer who was in the business of making TVs ended up building and selling branded PCs built from off-the shelf parts around the turn of the millennium. The Athlon/Celeron era was when the high school and university age joined in on the dotcom bubble, so in they dove. The second wave happened in the mid-2000s, after the dotcom bubble burst. Cheap P4 systems were the herald of the "Internet PC" revolution for the masses, and kind of spelled the doom of those electronic manufacturer PCs - they slowly disappeared.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2232 of 4584, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote:

Anybody can share anything about this mysterious computer, let me know. When i have made some pics/video of unboxing, i'll then probably start a thread for that thing. 😀

Some possible spec pages (in German)

http://www.cc-computerarchiv.de/CC-Archiv/bc- … -san-12_90.html

http://www.cc-computerarchiv.de/CC-Archiv/bc- … -san-12_91.html

Reply 2233 of 4584, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More end of year presents
Wyse.jpg

4 Wyse "CXO" thin clients.
3 have nice bracket that allow you to mount it to the back of the screen. Curranty they have "Wyse ThinOS " a lightweight Linux distro that gives RDP and web surfing.
Only has 128MB DOM so not much space, may play around with Windows CE 6 which they also came with and maybe running a diskless Win3x setup just because I can and small enough not to get in the way.
Most useful thing about them though is the DOM is 44 pin IDE, so may just strip them.

The Netgear switch was surplus to requirements and my little switch for temporary setups died last year. I just need something basic so may end up selling it.

Reply 2234 of 4584, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, i was able to aquire the famous "Worst Game Grapchics Card" - Matrox Mystique 220. And of that, the worse, Compaq 2MB version.
http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item/ … sg-mystique-220
(Look at the video in the end)

Will be interesting to play around with it. 😜

Reply 2235 of 4584, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote:

So, i was able to aquire the famous "Worst Game Grapchics Card" - Matrox Mystique 220.

Ahhh, the Maalox Mystaque!

Reply 2236 of 4584, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a haul I had not too long ago. Randomly found on craigslist in the FREE section listed as "computer cables and misc". I did not expect to find a 2'x2'x2' box chock full of cards, drives and other computer parts. Really was a great find. Some nice old, small IDE drives, a 1x NEC external SCSI CDrom drive, 15 or so video cards including Voodoo 3 2000, network cards, audio cards etc. Apparently the guy was a freelance computer service tech and his children were clearing out his garage.

IMG_4363.JPG
Filename
IMG_4363.JPG
File size
718.96 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4364.jpg
Filename
IMG_4364.jpg
File size
896.4 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4365.jpg
Filename
IMG_4365.jpg
File size
865.08 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4368.JPG
Filename
IMG_4368.JPG
File size
986.06 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_4370.JPG
Filename
IMG_4370.JPG
File size
661.41 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2237 of 4584, by Kittan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rescued, or "was donated to", this Philips 107E 17" CRT monitor from my friend's mother's business. It's been used mostly to do billing etc. Unfortunately it is either badly calibrated or it is slowly going out, as it is a bit dark in games even with brightness on high and I have to boost gamma a bit in 3DFX control panel for games (D3D, OpenGL). Welp, CRT monitors are so impossible to find here that I have to deal with it but the picture is very good otherwise.

Attachments

• philipz.png
    Filename
    philipz.png
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2238 of 4584, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kittan wrote:

I rescued, or "was donated to", this Philips 107E 17" CRT monitor from my friend's mother's business. It's been used mostly to do billing etc. Unfortunately it is either badly calibrated or it is slowly going out, as it is a bit dark in games even with brightness on high and I have to boost gamma a bit in 3DFX control panel for games (D3D, OpenGL). Welp, CRT monitors are so impossible to find here that I have to deal with it but the picture is very good otherwise.

Don't feel bad. Almost every CRT monitor that has been free on Craigslist so far that I have found was either a washed out image or what you describe. Basically all of them going to the CRT rainbow bridge. All got recycled unfortunately.

Reply 2239 of 4584, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kittan wrote:

You can take the back off and turn the sub-brightness up via the flyback. You can also adjust the "focus" on the flyback as well.

I used to drill holes in the side of the case so I could just stick a long screwdriver in there to adjust those if I needed to later.

There are probably also going to be a bunch of other variable resistors that you can adjust as well. Some will be on the main board and there will probably be some on the board that attaches to the tube itself.

They are usually labeled pretty clearly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK