VOGONS

First post, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surprisingly I found that dgVoodoo2, running it in a window on integrated graphics (Intel 530), performs BETTER using the monitor connected to a dedicated GPU (my primary GPU, GeForce 1050 Ti via DVI) than the monitor connected to itself (via HDMI)!

11% performance gain (Unreal with the original renderer runs @200 FPS vs 180 FPS)

Is this expected? GPU can dedicate itself to the 3D rendering/rasterizing only so it's 11% better?
Of course you're limited to the windowed mode (no exclusive fullscreen nor borderless windowed fullscreen either)

Reply 1 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the Intel GPU is doing only the rasterization in this case. After that, the image is copied to or accessed directly by the nVidia GPU from shared video memory. I mean, shared between the two GPUs. 2D textures without MSAA can be shared starting from D3D9Ex, but how it's exactly done is up to the desktop compositor (DWM).

It is still strange, I wouldn't expect that either. Maybe composing the desktop part covering the Intel monitor is slower than accessing the image by the faster GPU from a slower memory?

Reply 4 of 4, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone here knows the answer to this question?

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.