VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried making dual boot win98 and winxp but I failed. System has 2 hard drives. First I installed win98 on the first hard drive and when I had it fully working, I tried installing windows xp on the second hard drive. Installation failed and got stuck so I was not able to install winxp there. So I just emptied the second hard drive and even removed the partitions there. Now the problem is that winxp installation attempt left winxp boot menu on the first hard drive where you choose the OS to boot with just 1 second timer which is annoying.
How can I remove the winxp boot menu that was left behind that I can at least use win98 normally?

Reply 1 of 4, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not exactly just a boot menu, during your installation attempt the volume/partition boot record was replaced by a WinXP one that references Ntldr instead of Win9x based IO.SYS.
As the fastest cure you can edit the boot.ini file crated by the WinXP install and change 'timeout=1' e.g to 'timeout=5' to have a 5 second timer. You can also change the 'default=multi..' part to 'default=C:\BOOTSECT.DOS' to boot your previous Win9x OS by default.
But the final solution would be to restore your Win9x boot record by running 'SYS.COM C:' from a Win9x boot floppy/CD where SYS.COM can be found.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 4, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boot to DOS command prompt and type:

fdisk /mbr

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 3 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

fdisk /mbr was the first thing I did try in win98 after the installation failed, but that did nothing to the boot menu.

I'll try to check out if using sys command will work.

Reply 4 of 4, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fdisk /mbr replaces the master boot record. AFAIK in case of an already partitioned disk XP install does not replace mbr (but also XP and Win9x mbr's are compatible anyway). So Instead of restoring mbr you have to restore the volume boot record that actually boots the OS on the active partition. And this is what SYS.COM does among others (like also copying system files).
(The BOOTSECT.DOS file made by XP install also contains the copy of earlier volume boot record and not master boot record)

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper