VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 3860 of 3949, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJ8 wrote:

I got Painkiller (Black Edition, containing Battle out of Hell) working nicely with DGVoodoo2 on win7/64.

mmm... stable or WIP version?

edit: with WIP version it works only with "unspecified", "centered" and "stretched" scaling mode options; only a black screen with all other

black screen also with 640x480 (in game options, and this with all scalers)

Reply 3861 of 3949, by RJ8

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Painkiller - MY MISTAKE !

I apologize, i put this message in the wrong thread.

I confirm it working with WIP54 just as you describe with black screen in the modes you mention. Thanks for answering to this.

Request a game profile for VorpX - VorpX Inofficial Gamelist - RJs VorpX Games

Reply 3863 of 3949, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's an issue with Rayman 2, where the game switches every few minutes between 60 and 30 frames per second (and sometimes even lower), seemingly at random. This can happen when simply standing still in the same area. This happens with both the DirectX and Glide renderers, on multiple computers (both high and low spec), regardless of any settings that I change. This doesn't happen with other Glide wrappers such as nGlide (but I would prefer to use dgVoodoo), nor does it happen with Tonic Trouble (which runs on the same engine). On my system, GPU usage is around 5% maximum and CPU usage at 15%, regardless of framerate.

EDIT: Using the experimental D3D9 wrapper in conjunction with nGlide works well though!

Reply 3864 of 3949, by Devil Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tgod wrote:
Devil Master wrote:

Remembering that I could play Sentinel Returns in stereoscopy with Windows XP and dgVoodoo v1.40+, I downloaded that version and attempted another strategy: dgVoodoo v1.40+ would translate Glide calls to DirectX 7, while dgVoodoo 2 would translate DirectX 7 calls to DirectX 11. However, that didn't work either, and the scene remained flat.

Dont have any computer running a 3dfx card? Easiest way for stereoscopic glide games is with metabyte's wicked3d eyescream driver and a real voodoo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010625155727/ht … +for+All+Boards

Old computers don't have HDMI ports, which is what my head-mounted display uses.

Reply 3865 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RibShark wrote:

There's an issue with Rayman 2, where the game switches every few minutes between 60 and 30 frames per second (and sometimes even lower), seemingly at random. This can happen when simply standing still in the same area. This happens with both the DirectX and Glide renderers, on multiple computers (both high and low spec), regardless of any settings that I change. This doesn't happen with other Glide wrappers such as nGlide (but I would prefer to use dgVoodoo), nor does it happen with Tonic Trouble (which runs on the same engine). On my system, GPU usage is around 5% maximum and CPU usage at 15%, regardless of framerate.

Hmm... Cannot get my Rayman2 to launch… 😕 😕
Anyway, I experience the same with Donald Duck Going Quackers (seems to have the same engine) and that game calls WaitForVerticalVBlank for each frame (and I guess SstVRetraceOn in Glide) (but for why on earth..).
There must be some problem with the implementation, will check it out.

RibShark wrote:

EDIT: Using the experimental D3D9 wrapper in conjunction with nGlide works well though!

Ah, problem solved. 😁

Reply 3866 of 3949, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Anyway, I experience the same with Donald Duck Going Quackers (seems to have the same engine) and that game calls WaitForVerticalVBlank for each frame (and I guess SstVRetraceOn in Glide) (but for why on earth..).

Thanks for looking into it 😀
Even though I can get it to work with nGlide+D3D9 I'd still rather have dgVoodoo work without it, since there are minor framepacing issues that way. I can maybe try patching out the WaitForVerticalVBlank calls, I guess, in the meantime.

Reply 3868 of 3949, by RibShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FulValBot wrote:

Rayman 3 (dx8 game) has the same problem with frame rate

That's actually a different problem (that is caused by the game) that I solved a while ago (I made a patch named Better Rayman 3).

Anyway, patching out the SstVRetraceOn loop on Glide and the WaitForVerticalVBlank call on D3D solves the issue (on D3D it causes speed issues though if the framerate dips). Thanks for the tip Dege! You can also redirect calls from GLI_DRV_vFlipDeviceWithSyncro to GLI_DRV_vFlipDevice, although *that* causes Glide to run at 15FPS. At the moment the best solution to work with both would be to patch out the loop on Glide and redirect the call for D3D.
Another issue is that sometimes when set to windowed on DX6 the game stays in a small window at the top left.

EDIT: Sorry to be a pain, but can you update dgVoodooAPI to the latest version (2.55.4)? I'm getting the error "ERROR: Unknown property name "windowedattributes" in section [GeneralExt]" when I try to read a config file.

Reply 3869 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RibShark wrote:
Dege wrote:

Thanks for looking into it 😀
Even though I can get it to work with nGlide+D3D9 I'd still rather have dgVoodoo work without it, since there are minor framepacing issues that way. I can maybe try patching out the WaitForVerticalVBlank calls, I guess, in the meantime.

Experimentally I commented out WaitForVBlank in dgVoodoo but it didn't help for Donald (still couldn't test Rayman2).
I also tested the game under Win7 natively and got the same alternating between 30/60 fps.
Isn't it the same problem (generally in these engines) as in Rayman3? I did a profiling and got this:
Donald-Profile.png
Seems like the game itself runs a waiting loop based on QueryPerformanceCounter.

Reply 3870 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RibShark wrote:
That's actually a different problem (that is caused by the game) that I solved a while ago (I made a patch named Better Rayman 3 […]
Show full quote
FulValBot wrote:

Rayman 3 (dx8 game) has the same problem with frame rate

That's actually a different problem (that is caused by the game) that I solved a while ago (I made a patch named Better Rayman 3).

Anyway, patching out the SstVRetraceOn loop on Glide and the WaitForVerticalVBlank call on D3D solves the issue (on D3D it causes speed issues though if the framerate dips). Thanks for the tip Dege! You can also redirect calls from GLI_DRV_vFlipDeviceWithSyncro to GLI_DRV_vFlipDevice, although *that* causes Glide to run at 15FPS. At the moment the best solution to work with both would be to patch out the loop on Glide and redirect the call for D3D.
[GeneralExt]" when I try to read a config file.

So anyway, it helped for Rayman. Great!
But then there must be differences between particular versions of the engine.

RibShark wrote:

Another issue is that sometimes when set to windowed on DX6 the game stays in a small window at the top left.

If option 'Disable Alt-Enter to toggle...' is enabled then the window isn't resized by dgVoodoo so it remains at the size the game.
But indeed, even with its option disabled, it doesn't get resized if resolution is not forced. Will look into it.

RibShark wrote:

EDIT: Sorry to be a pain, but can you update dgVoodooAPI to the latest version (2.55.4)? I'm getting the error "ERROR: Unknown property name "windowedattributes" in section

Ok, I'll update it. I didn't think anybody uses the API. 😀

Reply 3871 of 3949, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silanda wrote:

Just a couple of comments about Resident Evil 2 (the older port).

I have the UK version so can't directly use your fixed executables, but I compared the US 1.4 exe to your patch to figure out what needed changing in the UK executable. This works, the game starts with dgVoodoo (it doesn't work natively, however), upscaling works great, and running with dgVoodoo gets rid of graphic glitches I get late in the game when running natively. There is one small problem: the video sequences.

I have no problem getting the videos to play, but they're stretched to full screen rather than being letterboxed like they're supposed to be. The scaling settings seem to have no effect. This is true whether I use LAV Video or the original Indeo codec as the decoder.

Sourcenext RE2 fixes all of these problems since its DX9

RE3 the same bugs kinda persists

Reply 3872 of 3949, by RJ8

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there, ive just found a small Bug with Schizm 2 (DX8) and latest DGVoodoo2 release 2.55.4.

I see 2 different mouse pointers on the screen and when moving the mouse across the gap beetween them varies
depending on the direction into which i move the mouse. One pointer is larger then other one.

Request a game profile for VorpX - VorpX Inofficial Gamelist - RJs VorpX Games

Reply 3874 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way to limit the frame rate? I'm trying to run Kellogg's Gr-r-r-and Prix, which is a edited version of Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2, but it only comes with D3D (Glide version of MGPRS2 is a bit more predictable), which either runs at millions of FPS (vsync off) or in slow motion treacle-like (vsync on).

I think the game wants to run at 30fps, but the minimum my screen can take is 60hz.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3876 of 3949, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Baldur's Gate still crashes. Probably related?:

[4080] [dgVoodoo] ERROR: DirectDrawSurface (0C3AD0F0)::Lock: Invalid rect to be locked: rect is either intersects surface boundaries or not aligned properly for a compressed format.
[4080] [dgVoodoo] WARNING: DirectDrawSurface (0C3AD0F0)::Lock: Failed, HRESULT: DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS

Reply 3879 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think MGPRS2 in D3D is like (from memory) Speed Busters, and likes running super fast.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor