VOGONS

First post, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What joysticks was Tomb Raider 1996 meant to work with?
I remember having to play it with keyboard back in the 90's because my Madcatz joystick caused the spinning menu.

I found this Eidos page from 2001 on the Internet Archive that lists the following joysticks as incompatible with the game:

Thrustmaster T1/T2 Steering Wheel
MS Sidewinder Pro
Thrustmaster 2 JS
Gravis Thunderbird I
Thrustmaster F15E Talon
CH Flightstick/Flight Stick Pro

That list is incomplete, since the Madcatz joystick I used to have had the spinning menu issue.

Which makes me wonder what joysticks, if any, did work properly with Tomb Raider.
Does anyone here remember playing the PC version of Tomb Raider with a 1990's joystick ?

Reply 1 of 3, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was meant to work with a Sega Saturn or pre-Dual Shock PS1 controller; joystick support in the DOS verison seems like an afterthought & is kind of crap. You're probably best off with something like a 4-button Gravis Gamepad and just keeping your pinky fingers above the keyboard for extra actions.

That said, if anyone manages to play through this game with a steering wheel or HOTAS setup, I want to see the video. Badly.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 3, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played all the way through with a Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro using the D-pad rather than the tilt, and it was a miserable experience. I really enjoyed the game, but I was a complete spaz with that particular gamepad. I think it took like 30-40 tries to get through just one of the timing areas.

Reply 3 of 3, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was a Top Gun joystick that came with Tomb Raider on CD,
reported by a vogons member in this thread
Re: Joysticks - general advice please
But that version of Tomb Raider is probably different from retail.
Picture of the Top Gun joystick and box

If "Thrustmaster 2 JS" means Thrustmaster Mach II, I don't know why that wouldn't work because it's a fairly simple joystick -- not "programmable" or full of buttons or anything.

xjas wrote:

if anyone manages to play through this game with a steering wheel or HOTAS setup, I want to see the video. Badly.

That reminds me of LGR playing Doom and GTA5 with pinball controllers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3UCBycRw60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UHVFohpCqU