VOGONS

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Daemon Tools 3.47 has been a useful program for mounting disk images onto Windows 98. However, once I installed the unofficial service pack 3, I now get an error message on bootup and by clicking on the Daemon Tools icon saying:

"C:\Windows\daemon.dll error"

Did the service pack upgrade do something to conflict with this dll? Does anyone know How I can fix this?

Reply 4 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can wipe and restart from scratch.. that is how to fix it.

I tried the unofficial SP3 a while back and it completely hosed a bunch of stuff including messing up the file explorer in 98SE.

Just use the February 2004 update CD to install all the official updates from MS and then also NUSB for USB storage and USB 2.0 support.

February 2004 update CD:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=54,0

NUSB36e
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 035&menustate=0

Those are literally the only things you need to install besides drivers to have an updated, problem free, 98SE setup.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 20, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mr. horse wrote:
Braca862 wrote:
Shagittarius wrote:

Have you tried just reinstalling Daemon Tools?

Yes I have, several times.

What about its drivers.

Hmm, I didn't know about that. How do I access the drivers for daemon?

Reply 6 of 20, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
You can wipe and restart from scratch.. that is how to fix it. […]
Show full quote

You can wipe and restart from scratch.. that is how to fix it.

I tried the unofficial SP3 a while back and it completely hosed a bunch of stuff including messing up the file explorer in 98SE.

Just use the February 2004 update CD to install all the official updates from MS and then also NUSB for USB storage and USB 2.0 support.

February 2004 update CD:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=54,0

NUSB36e
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 035&menustate=0

Those are literally the only things you need to install besides drivers to have an updated, problem free, 98SE setup.

Good thing I have Norton Ghost 2003 to restore win98 without having to reinstall everything else. How did SP3 mess up explorer?

Reply 7 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also remember issues with sp3 and that's why I only install sp2 ...
I will check out the update cd, I don't remember reading about it 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 20, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Several things have to be noted here when talking about the USP3

First of all, make sure you install it correctly (there are several entries in the tickbox list of the USP3 where you select what you want to install, that have to be installed separately, as in: Only tick the one to be installed separately (for example the core update files or DirectX). If you fail to install these first or install them with something other ticked as well, you will botch your system. It is really important that you first install the core update files separately (without anything else ticked). And it is also important that you installed you drivers before that, and anything else on the list that needs to be installed separately you have to make sure that you do so (ONLY tick DirectX for example if you want that after updating the core files. Afterwards you can tick all the optional stuff that does not have to be installed separately in one go.

Secondly, Daemon Tools needs to be installed AFTER installing the USP3.

Reply 9 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Unofficial Service Packs for Win98 appear to be useless pieces of crap. Restore your original installation and don't bother with them again. Follow cyclone3d's advice.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh don't bother with any updates either, PC runs fine. Even shuts down which is pretty good for Win98

Reply 12 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Braca862 wrote:

Good thing I have Norton Ghost 2003 to restore win98 without having to reinstall everything else. How did SP3 mess up explorer?

Well, that work's as well.

It messed up explorer to the point of it just acting really goofy and super slow. Been quite a while since I decided to never try the USP3 again. And yes, I did install stuff in the correct order according to guides as well as the installer.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 20, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Braca862 wrote:

Hmm, I didn't know about that. How do I access the drivers for daemon?

Its been awile. But I recall when installing it your asked to nane the virtual cd driver. Rename it or something.
Or remove it in device manager.

Also can't believe off the nuts that have problems with the unofficial service packs.its not rocket science. Read the instructions, dont just tick off every box and click next without reading anything

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 14 of 20, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, everyone. After reading all the replies, I think I'm better off restoring my computer to where it was before I installed USP3. If its true that these unofficial service packs are too much trouble, I rather stay away from them and instead use the update disk that cyclone explained. I mainly use my win98 rig for gaming and using retro software.

Reply 15 of 20, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Braca862 wrote:

Thanks, everyone. After reading all the replies, I think I'm better off restoring my computer to where it was before I installed USP3. If its true that these unofficial service packs are too much trouble, I rather stay away from them and instead use the update disk that cyclone explained. I mainly use my win98 rig for gaming and using retro software.

The only time I had trouble with usp3 was when I checked off all the boxes and didn't read what I was doing.
However I do recall having this problem alot with demond tools. And vaguely recall removing the scsi driver thing it installs fixing the problem.

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 16 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3.47 does not work on Me either SP3 probably installs an update that causes the same issue, install 3.45

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USP3 that Problemchyld maintains uses a ton of 2K/XP/7 files and replaces plenty of 98's own files with them and that's probably where all the problems come from. Some earlier SPs are purely official updates and few patches rather than full on file replacements from newer stuff.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 18 of 20, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:

USP3 that Problemchyld maintains uses a ton of 2K/XP/7 files and replaces plenty of 98's own files with them and that's probably where all the problems come from. Some earlier SPs are purely official updates and few patches rather than full on file replacements from newer stuff.

The problems come from people not reading the instructions.

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 19 of 20, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't matter. You shouldn't have to read complicated instructions and tick boxes in specific order or else you blow your system up. That's terrible design, plain and simple. If whoever maintains those "service packs" decided for whatever reason that they need to dump a bunch of random files and useless features from later operating systems, they should at least make a proper installer.

And still the main point is that these 'service packs' are just useless crap. So at best it just does not break your system. Well, gee, my system was already unbroken without having to install extra junk.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys