VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a DFI P5BV3+ board, VIA MVP3 chipset, with a AMD K6 III+ at 66fsb and 2.0v. running at 366mhz. I have 128mb of PC100 SDRAM (single sided), a Voodoo 3 3500 AGP, a couple of ISA sound cards, and at the moment no floppy or IDE devices. I am powering it with an SFX 300 watt power supply, with a maximum 5v output of 22A.

I am waiting on a CMOS battery to come in, so the bios resets at every boot.

When I power on the computer I sometimes get through the whole POST and IDE check fine. It prompts me to enter F1 to continue or DEL to enter bios, and if I plug in a PS/2 keyboard using an AT-PS/2 adapter, I can navigate the bios without issues.

At least half the time, it will get to the memory check, print OK, and then the cursor will blink and it will never check my IDE devices. If I try entering the bios on the keyboard nothing happens. Occasionally, nothing will come on to the screen at all. On rare occasions it will freeze on one IDE device.

The weird thing is I can sometimes reset the computer multiple times in a row and it will POST fine. Sometimes I swear I have to unplug the power supply all together and plug it in to get it POST successfully again.

I thought at first it was the memory, so I plugged in my second stick of PC100 128mb and it would work and not work in roughly the same way. In fact, it doesn't seem to matter if I have one or both sticks installed.

The board will emit one of two error codes via the PC speaker, but all I got is either a successful POST beep (even if it hangs later) or occasionally no beep at all.

I am waiting on some IDE cables in the mail so I can try and run a MEMTEST to see if I can learn more, but right now I am confused and concerned. Is this behavior normal for the hardware of the period? Any tips for trouble shooting?

Reply 1 of 5, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
I have a DFI P5BV3+ board, VIA MVP3 chipset, with a AMD K6 III+ at 66fsb and 2.0v. running at 366mhz. I have 128mb of PC100 SDRA […]
Show full quote

I have a DFI P5BV3+ board, VIA MVP3 chipset, with a AMD K6 III+ at 66fsb and 2.0v. running at 366mhz. I have 128mb of PC100 SDRAM (single sided), a Voodoo 3 3500 AGP, a couple of ISA sound cards, and at the moment no floppy or IDE devices. I am powering it with an SFX 300 watt power supply, with a maximum 5v output of 22A.

I am waiting on a CMOS battery to come in, so the bios resets at every boot.

When I power on the computer I sometimes get through the whole POST and IDE check fine. It prompts me to enter F1 to continue or DEL to enter bios, and if I plug in a PS/2 keyboard using an AT-PS/2 adapter, I can navigate the bios without issues.

At least half the time, it will get to the memory check, print OK, and then the cursor will blink and it will never check my IDE devices. If I try entering the bios on the keyboard nothing happens. Occasionally, nothing will come on to the screen at all. On rare occasions it will freeze on one IDE device.

The weird thing is I can sometimes reset the computer multiple times in a row and it will POST fine. Sometimes I swear I have to unplug the power supply all together and plug it in to get it POST successfully again.

I thought at first it was the memory, so I plugged in my second stick of PC100 128mb and it would work and not work in roughly the same way. In fact, it doesn't seem to matter if I have one or both sticks installed.

The board will emit one of two error codes via the PC speaker, but all I got is either a successful POST beep (even if it hangs later) or occasionally no beep at all.

I am waiting on some IDE cables in the mail so I can try and run a MEMTEST to see if I can learn more, but right now I am confused and concerned. Is this behavior normal for the hardware of the period? Any tips for trouble shooting?

Replace all the big capacitors on board. These caps (TAYEH/TEAPO) are known to be garbage.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I swapped out my K6 III+ for a K6 2 and I had several good posts in a row. Then I swapped back in my K6 III+ at had it hang after the memory check, I swapped by in the K6-2, and now it won't post at all. I don't see any bent pins on either CPU or junk in the socket, so I think the board bit the dust. I have tried everything and nothing will get it to post.

I am going to try recapping the board and see if I can bring it back to life. In the meantime, I found a not completely terrible deal on a PcPartner board with the same chipset. Shipping in from Urkaine so I have time fill. I thought it was too good to be true that every part I bought on ebay came working fine...

Reply 3 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

Replace all the big capacitors on board. These caps (TAYEH/TEAPO) are known to be garbage.

To be a little more clear, Teapo are known to be problematic in this application. They can perform okay in PSU applications (especially bulk capacitance) with proper design and adequate cooling.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 5, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

To be a little more clear, Teapo are known to be problematic in this application. They can perform okay in PSU applications (especially bulk capacitance) with proper design and adequate cooling.

For mains I'd agree.

For DC filtering, not so much, unless their low ESR parts for power supplies are actually okay (and I've seen my fair share of dead Teapos in supplies, but mainly on OG Xboxes though)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

For mains I'd agree.

For DC filtering, not so much, unless their low ESR parts for power supplies are actually okay (and I've seen my fair share of dead Teapos in supplies, but mainly on OG Xboxes though)

I usually see them failed in power supplies that are inadequate in other ways which makes me suspect they've been substituted in for cost reasons and are being unnecessarily stressed. I also see lots in FSP/SPI secondary filters that have lasted quite well. Having said that, they're certainly not up to the level of a Panasonic.

Quite different than Fuhjyyu. I don't think there's any way to make those hold up.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder