VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by user8989

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi forum,
I am trying to built a XP compatible VM with virtualbox (since vmware was dead slow) to run and preserve old benchmarks like old 3damark series.

Why did I üiock WinFLP?
Because the number of additional updates which are required to get WinFLP to work reasonably short and takes less time.

What I done so far.
I used a WINFLP ISO which already has SP2 included to built the VM.
next I install either SP3 for WinFLP and mounted the ISO for Vbox guest additions and installed the drivers for a smoother preformance.

Than I installed 3dmark99. I did not ran into any issues during the installation and did not have to extract .exe file.
Now I do know that at this point that old version of 3dmark will complain about he wrong of directx and that this issue can be resolved by placing a copy of the 'ddraw.ddl' into the 3dmark folder.
Only problem I do not know which version of the 'ddraw.ddl' I need to get 3dmark99 to work and places like http://www.oldversion.com/ are real pain to find the single correct file.

Can someone please point into the right direction?
Thx,user8989

Reply 1 of 8, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you need to copy ddraw.dll from the same System32 folder from WinFLP and copy in the 3DMark folder

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 8, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
user8989 wrote:

Now I do know that at this point that old version of 3dmark will complain about he wrong of directx and that this issue can be resolved by placing a copy of the 'ddraw.ddl' into the 3dmark folder.

That's misleading information. 3DMark 99 has a bad check for DirectX version, which can be avoided by either setting Windows 98 compatibility mode or using patched files that also solve some other issues. They can be downloaded from here.

Also, VirtualBox virtual machines don't support 3D acceleration for Direct3D 7 and older, so even if you solve ddraw.dll problem, it won't work unless you find the replacement ddraw.dll that converts DirectDraw/Direct3D 6 calls to something else.

weldum wrote:

you need to copy ddraw.dll from the same System32 folder from WinFLP and copy in the 3DMark folder

What's that supposed to do? ddraw.dll will be loaded from System32 anyway if it's not found in 3D Mark folder.

Last edited by UCyborg on 2019-01-11, 22:22. Edited 2 times in total.
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3 of 8, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in my experience, in all NT based versions of windows 3dmark 99 will not load the file from system32

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 4 of 8, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It loads just fine on a system that functions properly.

ZgfGXVD.png

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 5 of 8, by user8989

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
UCyborg wrote:
That's misleading information. 3DMark 99 has a bad check for DirectX version, which can be avoided by either setting Windows 98 […]
Show full quote
user8989 wrote:

That's misleading information. 3DMark 99 has a bad check for DirectX version, which can be avoided by either setting Windows 98 compatibility mode or using patched files that also solve some other issues. They can be downloaded from here.

Also, VirtualBox virtual machines don't support 3D acceleration for Direct3D 7 and older, so even if you solve ddraw.dll problem, it won't work unless you find the replacement ddraw.dll that converts DirectDraw/Direct3D 6 calls to something else.

weldum wrote:

What's that supposed to do? ddraw.dll will be loaded from System32 anyway if it's not found in 3D Mark folder.

Thank you for that one hint.
However when I did try to run 3DMark 99 it returned a message telling me that it needs Directx 6.1.
Strange part about it is that the version of ddraw.dll is 5.3.2600.5512

Reply 6 of 8, by user8989

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@UCyborg thank you for that screen shoot of your working XP machine 3dmark machine.
Can you please share with us if VM which version of XP that is ?
Home, Pro, or FLP
which SP major is installed on it.
So I know which bits I need to maybe reconstruct eg built my own VM.
thx,user8989

Reply 7 of 8, by user8989

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried that 3dmark Patchpack and replaced all files provided for 3dmark99.
however 3dmark kept telling me 'Memory dump only available in debug builds'
Also when I do open the properties for the 3dmark.exe file I do not see any compatibility tab.
I that normal in Winflp ?I do not remember anymore.
thx,user8989

Reply 8 of 8, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
user8989 wrote:

Strange part about it is that the version of ddraw.dll is 5.3.2600.5512

A lot of system components have the operating system's internal version number.

user8989 wrote:

Can you please share with us if VM which version of XP that is ?

XP Pro SP3

Also tested on FLP with SP2. I copied its files (which include my patched files) from my main installation. Only issues were the usual glitches due to running in a virtual machine.

user8989 wrote:

however 3dmark kept telling me 'Memory dump only available in debug builds'

I've never seen this one before. Usually, if you tried it in VirtualBox, it would complain something along the lines of graphics accelerator not supporting DirectX 6.1.

user8989 wrote:

Also when I do open the properties for the 3dmark.exe file I do not see any compatibility tab.
I that normal in Winflp ?

Yes. Read my post in this thread on MSFN.