Change rom font on Tseng4000 vga?

Topic actions

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

my newly acquired Tseng VGA has some regional font in it's ROM , it just looks weird to me and I'd like to have the US one instead - the one we got here 🤣

2mDzwbF.jpg

iQNrzzAm.jpg

I suspect one burns a new set of VGA BIOS and/or SYNC-ROM to fix that, is there any place to get them?

TIA!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow... any idea why? just so they can stand out? I took some quick pics:

VEV123qh.jpg

z7GUsZzh.jpg

maybe there is another newer bios out there with normal L character?
I realize this is next to nothing to complain but still - I'd love a "normal" lowercase L character 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 24, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Keropi: I got http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_tseng_et4000ax_1.html
It looks quite similar. If you want a ROM image for comparison PM me.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a newer BIOS revision - it has a "normal" l this time but the zero is slashed - maybe they needed one character different at all times 🤣

r71Ynvkh.jpg

@elianda
that's the exact same card , what's the BIOS version on your card?

edit:
now I remember why I did not bother with TSENG cards:

vga mode: flashing checkerboard
BLAOxpJh.jpg

ega mode: flashing black transparency of some sorts
09kMFi5h.jpg

Reply 8 of 24, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to know there are other fonts... I might have seen them, but it's not important to me. I'm kinda used to them as I had ET4000 for some years in those times 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 24, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I _HATED_ that 'l' with a passion with my tseng. its so bad ugh.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 24, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

@elianda

Took me a while to gather all the cards from the archive, but here you go:

Card 0: 01/07/93 V8.00 (Machspeed) - this card is not in my gallery at retronn.de, only difference here is that it doesn't have an odd/even BIOS, layout is the same otherwise
Card 1: 04/15/92 V8.06 - notation as in linked gallery entry
Card 2: 04/15/92 V8.06 - notation as in linked gallery entry

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 11 of 24, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I must be the least OCD person on this site... The Tseng 'l' doesn't bother me at all, nor does the slashed zero... (I slash my zeros in handwriting anyway, makes for less confusion)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

I must be the least OCD person on this site... The Tseng 'l' doesn't bother me at all, nor does the slashed zero... (I slash my zeros in handwriting anyway, makes for less confusion)

I'm fine with it, too. Reminds me a tiny bit of the "l" character in cursive handwriting..
Perhaps we do just have a bad taste ? Haha. 🤣

Btw, I just checked my own dump I use for PCem. It is the ordinary one.
I secretly hoped I got the freaky font.

Attachments

• Filename
    et4000_prosy.gif
    File size
    10.19 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 24, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
I found a newer BIOS revision - it has a "normal" l this time but the zero is slashed - maybe they needed one character differen […]
Show full quote

I found a newer BIOS revision - it has a "normal" l this time but the zero is slashed - maybe they needed one character different at all times 🤣

r71Ynvkh.jpg

@elianda

edit:
now I remember why I did not bother with TSENG cards:

vga mode: flashing checkerboard
BLAOxpJh.jpg

ega mode: flashing black transparency of some sorts
09kMFi5h.jpg

if you set the tseng to EGA mode with VMODE these problems are gone.
But I would like to correct the image-ajustment of my et4000 between vgatextmode 80x25 and lowres vga 320x200. they differ around 1cm on my tft.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 15 of 24, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can not remember seeing these issues with ET4000 cards.

Youtube Channel

Reply 16 of 24, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on the card. Some ET4000 cards with 256color are mostly OK, but I can confirm that my diamond-speedstar-vga needs the svga-fix on some games.
The ET4000/w32 are even worse. My PCD4L with ET4000/w32 produces ugly glitches on PriratesGold and also in TowerAssault.
I think those ET4000's are hyped too much. Though they are fast, but not too compatible. S3 and CL seem to have the better cards.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 17 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had to use SVGA fix in Keen games to get stuff to run without visual glitches...

And as far as topic title goes, I also had an issue with strange L chars on my ET4000 card and a while ago I ended up hacking the ROM with my own font :

IMG_2378.JPG
Filename
IMG_2378.JPG
File size
233.86 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_2379.JPG
Filename
IMG_2379.JPG
File size
289 KiB
Views
File license

The font got tweaked a bit more after the photos were taken. One thing I discovered was that there were a row of characters in the ROM that were used to override some chars in the main set i.e the zero in first pic, mine had a line going through it rather than a dot in the middle and couple other chars weren't what I made the such as T and Z).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 18 of 24, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

It depends on the card. Some ET4000 cards with 256color are mostly OK, but I can confirm that my diamond-speedstar-vga needs the svga-fix on some games.
The ET4000/w32 are even worse. My PCD4L with ET4000/w32 produces ugly glitches on PriratesGold and also in TowerAssault.
I think those ET4000's are hyped too much. Though they are fast, but not too compatible. S3 and CL seem to have the better cards.

At least my ET4000/w32p vlb card has no problems with commander keen 4. I have not tried those games you mentioned though.

Reply 19 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps the problem originates from video BIOS rather than hardware ? It would be nice to have the BIOS dump to test on my card (once I get back home).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜