VOGONS

First post, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m trying to install Sound Blaster 16 drivers in DOS after installing Windows 98se but the installation says it detects Windows 95 and aborts the install. I’m doing this while re-booted in pure dos btw.

I read a while ago something about this and you have to rename a file or directory? I can’t remember or find the post anymore.

*Sorted it out. Watched a Philscomputerlab video for msdos mode installation*

Last edited by Lo-ResBros on 2019-01-12, 03:43. Edited 1 time in total.

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
Soltek SL-54U5 Super Socket 7
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
Tyan TitanVX S1470 Socket 7
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88

Reply 1 of 3, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know exactly, what instructions did you read, but you could rename "Windows" folder before installing DOS drivers in the DOS.

DOS drivers are really easy to install manually: Just copy some files over and change config.sys/autoexec.bat a bit and you're done. 😉

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is -or was- normal, I believe. The Creative drivers detect DOS 7 and refuse to install because they think it's a Windows 95 system.
Back in time, there used to be several threads about this according to my memories.
However, I'm no Win 9xGuru, so I don't know what the workaround for this used to be.
With tools like DOSVER you can fake another version number, maybe this helps.
Not sure, though. DOS 7 also had additional DOS APIs (or ABIs) that could be used for detection of DOS 7+.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

I don't know exactly, what instructions did you read, but you could rename "Windows" folder before installing DOS drivers in the DOS.

DOS drivers are really easy to install manually: Just copy some files over and change config.sys/autoexec.bat a bit and you're done. 😉

You're right I managed to manually install the SB16 with a driver I downloaded off here that already has the files installed and just edited the autoexec and config, however I plan on using a AWE64 soon and might be a little harder, would be nice to use the normal installer if possible.

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
Soltek SL-54U5 Super Socket 7
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
Tyan TitanVX S1470 Socket 7
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88