VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I upgraded to W10 a few months ago. I'm very pleased with the new system with one caveat - I had to move on from the W7 iterations of Acronis Home Image to the most recent AHI-2019. I'm not at all happy with it's super confusing/opaque functionality.

Anyone out there use a comparable suite that lets you do a simple operation like: select target partition(s), name the image, select where it's to be stored?

Believe it or not by AHI now makes this ridiculously trick to do - and doesn't really do it. The Recovery software retain the simple interface and functionality of earlier Acronis iterations, but not the new suite.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, well that's sad. 🙁
We used Acronis at home since version 7 or so.

As a workaround, can you use the bootable media to create backups ?
Back then, when we had True Image 9 or 10, we often used the bootable media.

Years later, we even used the recovery media of version 2011 to restore backups created by older versions (9 etc),
because the old Linux kernals failed to work on the new machines (the one based on the DOS kernal still worked, but used slow BIOS routines).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been quite pleased with Macrium lately for my backup and drive cloning purposes.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 4 of 6, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

easeus todo backup works great but it's not free...

alternatively you can use clonezilla but it does not like cloning from larger drive/partition to smaller

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 6, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might try Macrium again. My first pass was unpleasant, but neither is AHI so it's worth another look. At this point I'm not adverse to paying - so long as it's clear, simple and works. I've used Easeus utilities before and they worked pretty well - maybe they have a trial version.
Thanks all...

Reply 6 of 6, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well..It was Macrium that finally let me take the data off an actual 1tb drive in my laptop and move it to a slightly smaller 960gb SSD. The data itself I knew would fit but acronis would have none of it. Macrium did it by imaging the partitions off the original as separate images and then restoring those to the actual newly made partitions on the new drive.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20