VOGONS

First post, by RaptorZX3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi!

i'm currently looking for IBM Netvista A40 Type 6578-PBU drivers, for Windows 98SE.

I currently have the main board only, inside a MicroATX case. The thing is Windows 98SE doesn't find any drivers on this board, and i can't find them anywhere on the net.

I can install Windows XP on it, but this is a Pentium 3 board, i want to run Windows 98 games on that computer...

Does anyone have the original drivers CD for it? please help me.

I remember seeing this on the board: 06P2525.
North bridge: Intel 815 (FW82815, SL4DF)
South bridge: Intel 82801BA (F0461056, SL4WM)

thanks!

Last edited by RaptorZX3 on 2016-04-29, 13:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I remember correctly there where multiple variants of the 6578 like the 6578TAG/6578RAU/6578UN7. Do you know which variant your motherboard is from?
Some Googling already turned up multiple possible versions with it's drivers.

Reply 5 of 18, by RaptorZX3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i really think it's a IBM Netvista A40 type 6578-PBU.

They say it have built-in NIC, but it's in fact a card you can remove, that PCI slot with extra contacts on it, this is where the NIC go, but it can be used as a regular PCI slot as well

Reply 9 of 18, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, usually impossible to find unless you know the filenames or have more detailed hardware descriptions to search with.

You really make me want to work on mine again! But other things first. 😒

Reply 11 of 18, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't looked. I haven't booted the machine since I parked it a few years ago. It currently has xph on it, but it's a much better suited machine for 98se since it has a 1gb ram limit. Once I image the current drive that's in it, I'll start to play with it, but that's probably going to be a few years. 🙁

Reply 13 of 18, by RaptorZX3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arctic wrote:

I used to have that board i think. I should still have a folder with drivers, i can check if you want 😀

sure, because Windows XP seem to find all drivers, but now Win98SE, and i think it would be a better idea to run this board with Win98SE instead.

Reply 15 of 18, by RaptorZX3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arctic wrote:

I used to have that board i think. I should still have a folder with drivers, i can check if you want 😀

it's been almost 2 months. Did you had some time to check if you still have the drivers for it?

Reply 16 of 18, by RaptorZX3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found one that work great, on my Netvista A40 Type 6648 board, and it should work on the 6578 too. It's a drivers package for IDE PATA, PCI, ISA, and all the system stuff.

Located here:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/netvista_drivers/

And the one i used that work fine for me on Win98SE is this one on this link:
qi6z21us.exe

those packages names are a real pain in the ass, i had to check each of those .txt files there to find the ones i would need for my board, and many are for Windows 2000, NT 4.0 and so on.

Reply 17 of 18, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the link! Great site for older IBM systems--I actually had it noted for my 6589. 😀

Quick way to grab all those drivers:
wget -r -l2 http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/netvista_drivers/

Took only a few minutes to get them all. 😀

HP/Compaq does the same thing with their driver filenames, and I think even Dell does the same. Does make it easier to get the right one though once you know the filename.