VOGONS

Reply 160 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not super active on these forums, but my interest in 9x never dies so I come check every month at minimal. But be cautious because I'm not constantly on the forums. If you need something critical, message me on MSFN forums.

dosquest wrote:

Hey, how's the progress?

Turns out the trottled CPU is a result of the laptop seeing the charger as counterfeit, ironic because an aftermarket charger from ebay bypasses the test unlike a damaged Dell AC Adapter.

After countless headaches of Windows 98SE, I settled with ME. You may ask "WHY!?" and the answer simply is that Windows ME works stable unlike 98SE, ironically. My 98SE installations proved to be quite problematic and required a bunch of work for an unstable system that simply lagged with a USB mouse. Windows ME is pretty much ready out of the box to begin installing important components while 98SE needs to be updated a bunch and may still give nagging errors of asking for a cab file.

As mentioned by a user earlier, the modified broadcom card causes boot failures on 9x

Also figured out an issue of Windows 9x hanging on boot *could* be fixed by enabling ACPI on the installation (worked for ME).

A small list of fixes/workarounds on 9x
-ME freezing after a while? Set a screensaver to prevent this as much as possible!
I believe the problem with 9x freezing on a D600 is because of how the drivers are written. The instructions on the WDM drivers cause freezing if the system hibernates, so you must set a screensaver to prevent this.

I still haven't figured out how to enable sound in native dos, but I just use DosFreak's DOSBox compiled for 9x.

dosquest wrote:

I recently picked up a Dell D400 which is sorta similar to this one. Except, it uses the Intel integrated graphics and what looks like AC97 drivers. Though, I'm having a heck of a time finding drivers for it. I thought I had found audio drivers, and I installed them, and on one install of Windows 98SE the sound worked...for one startup, then upon reboot it would only play static out of the speakers. Then, after another fresh install, it would BSOD after installing the exact same sound drivers. Now, I can't seem to find the sound drivers anymore. The graphics drivers are really hard to find also, I managed to find the driver, then lost it, pulling my hair out over this...

Did you install the chipset drivers first? They are very critical otherwise the sound driver installation may fail.

I'll try looking and help you, but I cannot make any promises.
EDIT: I found there are two model drivers, a VDM, and VXD model. I would recommend trying the VXD model first because mixing VDM and VXD drivers may cause instabilities.
VXD:
http://support.advantech.com.tw/support/Downl … Source=Download
VDM:
https://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/ … formation/4342/

I do not have a D400, so I cannot test these.

Personal Blog

Reply 161 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to mention that I just fully installed Windows 98 on my D600 using these instructions. Boo-yah!

But I had to make my WiFi security WEP for it to work. My laptop has the Intel 2100 card. Anyone had any luck with WPA on this card? I'm using the Lenovo drivers and the Odyssey client manager.

EDIT: Oh, I'm posting this from said laptop using RetroZIlla! It's surprisingly fast.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 162 of 208, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh wow! Thanks! I couldn't find any chipset drivers...let alone know where to find them...I will check out those sound drivers. Now, as for the Intel graphics chip drivers, any ideas on that?

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 163 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

I'd like to mention that I just fully installed Windows 98 on my D600 using these instructions. Boo-yah!

But I had to make my WiFi security WEP for it to work. My laptop has the Intel 2100 card. Anyone had any luck with WPA on this card? I'm using the Lenovo drivers and the Odyssey client manager.

EDIT: Oh, I'm posting this from said laptop using RetroZIlla! It's surprisingly fast.

If you only need WPA, use Buffalo Client Manager.
If you only need WPA2, use Odyssey Client.
A member of MSFN gave us Odyssey Client! WPA2 is now available on 9x!!!

dosquest wrote:

Oh wow! Thanks! I couldn't find any chipset drivers...let alone know where to find them...I will check out those sound drivers. Now, as for the Intel graphics chip drivers, any ideas on that?

The chipset is an Intel 855GM, the driver for the Dell Latitude D600 may work. They're both Intel 855, but the D600 has 855PM. If not, tell me and I'll look for one.

A new, updated bundle (now includes wireless utilities!)
http://linkshrink.net/7jat66

I'm amazed, over 227 people have used my bundle! What a blessing it is to know teenage me is helping people 😄

The forums won't let me update the very first post to update this link...I wanna make it convenient for anyone who finds this place via google!

Personal Blog

Reply 164 of 208, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Now, as for the Intel graphics chip drivers, any ideas on that?

Here's an Intel Extreme Graphics driver for Windows 9x that should work on your Dell Latitude D400 (and should also work on the D500 and D505 which also used the same Intel GPU):
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/700 … r?product=81528

Reply 165 of 208, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JiaoTongNan wrote:

I know - I'm using Odyssey Client.

It attempts to connect using WPA2 OR WPA (either one) but it keeps saying "searching for *my SSID* " without actually connecting.

When I set my router to WEP, it works perfectly.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 166 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
I know - I'm using Odyssey Client. […]
Show full quote
JiaoTongNan wrote:

I know - I'm using Odyssey Client.

It attempts to connect using WPA2 OR WPA (either one) but it keeps saying "searching for *my SSID* " without actually connecting.

When I set my router to WEP, it works perfectly.

After searching a bit, it's because the Pro Wireless 2100 did not have WPA compatibility until Dell released a newer driver which supported it. Unfortunately, it's W2K or later.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/dr … riverId=R105328

IBM Driver (unsure if this supports WPA2)
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds001832

Are you using the A or B model?

Personal Blog

Reply 168 of 208, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

None of the drivers you linked worked. The chipset refused to install. The sound drivers installed but didn't detect any driver, and the graphics drivers failed with an unknown error "hardware installation halted, unknown hardware error. Please see program documentation." I checked the readme, no mention of any helpful info.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 169 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Ah, that would make sense.

I'm using the A model.

dosquest wrote:

None of the drivers you linked worked. The chipset refused to install. The sound drivers installed but didn't detect any driver, and the graphics drivers failed with an unknown error "hardware installation halted, unknown hardware error. Please see program documentation." I checked the readme, no mention of any helpful info.

Like mentioned before, the sound and video drivers are probably dependent on the chipset to work.

Try this site
Click on the win9x136.zip link.

Another alternative I found
Try both at this point.

Personal Blog

Reply 170 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In case anyone finds this topic via search engine, I am proud to say I found a proper cardbus driver to work on Windows 98SE/ME! For once CNET did a wonderful job!
https://download.cnet.com/O2Micro-Cardbus-Dri … 0_4-163918.html

If a cab file is missing during installation, go to C:\Windows\System to find the cardev.exe file!

Also, I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE usage of the Broadcom Wireless Card. It causes system instability because it was originally meant for Windows 2000 and modded to work on 98SE/ME!!!

With this good news, now WPA2 card buses can be used on the laptop instead of an alternative wireless card or using the faulty broadcom driver!

Last but not least, I finally figured out how to enable DOS' sound! It appears it works natively on Windows ME once DOS is re-enabled! 😳 But on my previous Windows 98 installation it didn't work, so the SETBLAST.EXE file will be critical to use to change which and where the DOS sound driver is used!

http://linkshrink.net/7URrxi

Personal Blog

Reply 171 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am new to Vogons and in need of help (a lot of it I think) haha. So I'm trying to install win98se on my D600. My D600 has an internal cd/dvd drive and no floppy drive so I'm using an external floppydrive. I have the original win98se install cd-rom with original boot disk. I think I got most of the drivers for win98se itself, maybe all but haven't gotten around to test that because win98se is not yet installed with cd/dvd working.

I did not know that it'd be this much of a hassle so I just went on installing win98se on the D600. Which it froze time after time on the hardware or start menu in setup. So I checked the ram memory, pulled them out and put them in and it installed Win98se. But no cd/dvd drive detected. So then I found Vogons.org, followed what ýou did here.

Here's what happened next. So yeah it's obvious I followed all the steps but what went wrong?
I installed DOS 7.10 (DOS UNION) and it worked. Then installed windows on top and it failed.. some errors and it told me to shut off the system.

Ok again began at the top partition deleted format etc. But now with creating the folder DOS on my C drive and putting in himem.sys/emm386.exe/vide-cdd.sys/I could not find shsucdx.sys anywhere so I just put in all files so that'd be nasm.mac shcdx86.com shsucdx.com shsucdx.nsm
So after that I made the autoexec.bat and the config.sys following directions on Vogons.

After I created those it did not work since all files were in DOS but the path was not right. Was set on C:\ not on C:\DOS. Ok then I fixed these missing file errors, by setting the path right I had it configured to look for those files in the root but they are in the DOS folder which contains all the files. Is that right?

It boots up without errors in DOS atm and the cd drive works assigned to the letter D.

So now I can install win98se without the problems I had earlier right?

Oh I also put 3 xcopy files on the C:\ because xcopy did not work, well because it wasn't there I suppose. Can I leave those there?

Another question is, can I install teac drivers for my external floppydrive since prior before I found this forum and the drivers the floppy drive froze all the time in win98se? I have not tested the teac drivers yet.

I'll wait for answers and then probably go ahead installing I think, want it to go better this time so I do not have to reinstall again. I also put in a new battery and cmos battery since both were very dead.

Thanks in advance,
C.J.

Reply 172 of 208, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C.J. wrote:
Hi, I am new to Vogons and in need of help (a lot of it I think) haha. So I'm trying to install win98se on my D600. My D600 has […]
Show full quote

Hi, I am new to Vogons and in need of help (a lot of it I think) haha. So I'm trying to install win98se on my D600. My D600 has an internal cd/dvd drive and no floppy drive so I'm using an external floppydrive. I have the original win98se install cd-rom with original boot disk. I think I got most of the drivers for win98se itself, maybe all but haven't gotten around to test that because win98se is not yet installed with cd/dvd working.

I did not know that it'd be this much of a hassle so I just went on installing win98se on the D600. Which it froze time after time on the hardware or start menu in setup. So I checked the ram memory, pulled them out and put them in and it installed Win98se. But no cd/dvd drive detected. So then I found Vogons.org, followed what ýou did here.

Here's what happened next. So yeah it's obvious I followed all the steps but what went wrong?
I installed DOS 7.10 (DOS UNION) and it worked. Then installed windows on top and it failed.. some errors and it told me to shut off the system.

Ok again began at the top partition deleted format etc. But now with creating the folder DOS on my C drive and putting in himem.sys/emm386.exe/vide-cdd.sys/I could not find shsucdx.sys anywhere so I just put in all files so that'd be nasm.mac shcdx86.com shsucdx.com shsucdx.nsm
So after that I made the autoexec.bat and the config.sys following directions on Vogons.

After I created those it did not work since all files were in DOS but the path was not right. Was set on C:\ not on C:\DOS. Ok then I fixed these missing file errors, by setting the path right I had it configured to look for those files in the root but they are in the DOS folder which contains all the files. Is that right?

It boots up without errors in DOS atm and the cd drive works assigned to the letter D.

So now I can install win98se without the problems I had earlier right?

Oh I also put 3 xcopy files on the C:\ because xcopy did not work, well because it wasn't there I suppose. Can I leave those there?

Another question is, can I install teac drivers for my external floppydrive since prior before I found this forum and the drivers the floppy drive froze all the time in win98se? I have not tested the teac drivers yet.

I'll wait for answers and then probably go ahead installing I think, want it to go better this time so I do not have to reinstall again. I also put in a new battery and cmos battery since both were very dead.

Thanks in advance,
C.J.

Wow, time just flies...there's no need to install DOS first.

To install Windows 9x on your laptop, you must "Start the Computer with CD support", gotta type "D:" (or whatever your hard drive letter is), then "fdisk" and format your hard drive BEFORE installing Windows. Then restart the computer and allow the first option (setup windows) to go!

Then install Windows 98SE (It should be second edition; first edition untested) or ME, then modify the resources so the cd/dvd will be recognized in Windows. Then you can proceed installing drivers, just a fair warning that installing the chipset driver will require you to redo the resource, but it's not hard at all.

If you are installing Windows 98SE, ensure you follow the step to setup DOS before installing drivers. Oddly, Windows 98SE requires the step, else-wise DOS is just a black screen with no prompt. What is even odder is Windows ME's DOS actually still works without any of these steps if you install third party software to re-enable it.

Personal Blog

Reply 173 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have not yet installed windows because of some battery problems I have atm. But I ordered a green cell battery, it'll be my third battery btw. 1st one was dead before trying anything and 2nd one dead in two weeks, only loaded up twice.

Installed extra ram memory.

Also Bios was locked but I found a code online to unlock it, so now I can change settings like time date etc, this was really annoying.

I had some problems when I installed win 98 2nd edition, it did not see my cd drive and usb only worked when I put in the usb stick before booting up for some reason. Also external floppy drive made it crash when I selected A: in my computer.

So only added drivers for internal cd-rom and it boots up in dos/command prompt (but did not install dos) by itself but only with the needed files, still wonder if win 98 2nd edition will see the cd rom drive now.

I'll install win 98 2nd edition this weekend, it's tiresome when putting in a new battery and losing settings every time. Not sure if my new cmos backup battery works as it should either.

Oh maybe a strange question but the adapter sparks when plugging it in the wall socket.. is that a normal thing?? Like a blue spark, everytime.. tried other places like downstairs and the hallway but still the same.

Thanks again for the reply.

Reply 174 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Green cell Battery works perfectly, first battery that works perfect. Even the lights work so I can see how full/empty it is. Still has some left so as soon as the indicator warns me on the laptop I'll charge it up completely. That'll be tomorrow when installing win 98se, I'm sure.

It's already formatted waiting and ready, it boots up with a win98 2nd edition splash but just in DOS command prompt with only edited files like autoexec etc as was specified in earlier posts to make the cd-rom drive work assigned to letter D:

C: is my harddrive

I've been in ill health for a bit so the project was put on hold but I'm recovering.. so now I have time to work on this again and finish it. Then I'll have a huge stack of games to play with and of course fiddle around in windows. Something to look forward to for sure.

Reply 175 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JiaoTongNan wrote:

If you are installing Windows 98SE, ensure you follow the step to setup DOS before installing drivers. Oddly, Windows 98SE requires the step, else-wise DOS is just a black screen with no prompt. What is even odder is Windows ME's DOS actually still works without any of these steps if you install third party software to re-enable it.

Thanks for that tip, I missed that when reading up on everything.

Reply 176 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've started this afternoon installing windows 98 second edition on my D600.

So far I have not used the cd or floppy but chose to copy the whole win98 folder to the hdd (since I had no cd-rom in windows the last time) and installed by typing setup and there it went. Flawless install (finally). Looked up that exit to dos pif file and went downstairs for a drink, when I came back I had a black screen with a cursor on the upper left and it did not respond? Went to standby but did not like it? Anyway now I'm in windows 98se I just changed that exit to dos pif file and dos works like it should. Tested that, nice.

Btw I have to say I have gotten quite rusty with my dos commands, but I have read up on especially the copy commands so I used this command to copy the WIN98 folder from the cd to my hdd:
copy "D:\WIN98\*.*" "C:\WIN98"
That actually worked, I tried various xcopy commands but it did not want to do what I wanted. Before I copied them over I did mkdir WIN98 when I was in C:\ actually since I had no folder created and the force make folder with the xcopy commands did not work for some reason. This took awhile actually for me to realise {-_-}

I just realized I do not have the chipsetdrivers and the link on the 1st page, I get a lot of popups but no file, I found a link that works Here. Now I'm trying to figure out if the cd-rom works, putting the chipset installer/file on a rewritable cd. All the other drivers already are on the hdd, did that right after I formatted I copied everything from my very 1st usb stick to the hdd (haha) not knowing the chipset driver was missing. Taking ages to erase the rewritable since I used this rewritable to back up files on my Original win 98se install back in the days it's not fast (4-10x) funny it says High Speed on the cover , suppose it was in those days 😀 Ok burning went quite fast actually since I did not need to put a lot of stuff on it. The cd-rom drive works, which is totally awesome.

Sidenote:
You know what's crazy, those backups on cd's I used to do before we had dvd (omg). I am so happy I do not need so many discs anymore these days. Did not do a lot of backups on floppy's though. Just when moving to a new pc, my documents and that's all I guess.

Reply 177 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've followed the instructions for Intel 855PM, directx and ATi Radeon 9000. I have a working cd-rom drive, from the start so unsure if I should change anything there? As for audio I do not know where I found this but I only had to click on setup.exe and it installed and working after a restart.. it was bothering me with two popups about a newer version already installed and do I want to keep it. So clicked yes. Ok so no probs so far.

I try installing the broadcom ethernet now but I can not find the file as in the description on the 1st page. I see no conflicting network adapters, I have under network adapters one conflict that is internet connection sharing (yellow excamation mark in icon). Under that I have Other devices obviously not working like they should with question marks, there I have:
02Micro-smartcardbus reader, fixed by rëinstall button using recommended and did not work but tried a different download and it worked.. still had the 1st download from the 1st page.
PCI card, Have no clue yet???????????
PCI Ethernet controller, fixed by rëinstall button using recommended and found it,now says Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller
PCI network controller, fixed by rëinstall button using recommended and found it, now says Broadcom Wireless WLAN Mini-PCI Card
PCI Universal serial bus, fixed by installing USB then rëinstall button using recommended and found it, now says Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM (ICH4 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

So now I'm all set I guess? Suppose the PCI card is a modem, disabled that since I do not need a modem.

Also I installed my external floppydrive (with TEAC drivers) but it does not show as A: but rather as E: BUT A: still shows though it does not exist? Suppose in DOS it will still be A: ..it was when I installed before. I better leave it alone. It works so that is good.

Another thing is I do not see how full my battery is in windows 98se that is, anyone know how? I tried in control panel power management and it says it's on AC power, though that is not the case.

One thing I have not tested is sound in DOS, The link for the setblast.exe did not work well for me as in I can not download it.

I got a problem shutting down as well. It hangs on Windows is shutting down. You know the screen before it tells me to turn it off. Any thoughts? It doesn't do it all the time. I tried without USB devices, but still same. Ok so now I fiddled around in BIOS with some settings, shut down once correctly now but 2nd time it didn't. Also read up on windows 98se, there is a shutdown patch which says it fixes the problem I have, but I have not found that yet.

Also I'd like to see the autoexec.bat and the config.sys reconfigured.. I know how to edit them, but what would be the best configuration for this D600. It is atm terribly slow starting up, slower than I remember actually and appears to hang for a bit and then suddenly decide to go on starting up.

Reply 179 of 208, by C.J.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK reinstalled from scratch, even got the battery indicator working. It worked fine and fast but then after I installed the smartcardreader, no conflicts and my pc speaker bleeps. It hangs a bit and boots up finally but same as before. So it is the smartcard reader that is causing the slow start of my D600. Oh well will look later when I get up again.