VOGONS

First post, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

Hoping this is something silly, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I have two FAT32 partitions. If I reboot to MS-DOS mode and try to access drive D:, I get "invalid drive specification".

My CD-ROM drive is being assigned letter E: successfully and the drive D: is listed in fdisk's output. LASTDRIVE is set to H: so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Thanks.

FDISK
Fixed Disk Drive Status
Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
1 8033 100%
C: 4103
D: 14995

AUTOEXEC.BAT
-------
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\SB16;C:\SNDSCAPE;C:\UTILS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\SNDSCAPE
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
@ECHO ON
CALL C:\SNDSCAPE\INITSS.BAT
C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
LH C:\UTILS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
LH DOSKEY.COM
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /L:E
:EM
:XM
:CM

CONFIG.SYS
-------
[COMMON]
DOS=NOAUTO
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30
LASTDRIVE=H
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE

[menu]
menuitem=EMC, Expanded memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=XMC, Extended memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=CMC, Conventional Memory only + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=EM, Expanded memory + Mouse
menuitem=XM, Extended memory + Mouse
menuitem=CM, Conventional memory only + Mouse

menudefault=EMC,10

[EMC]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
Show last 20 lines
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\UTILS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

[XMC]

[CMC]

[EM]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM

[XM]

[CM]

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]

Reply 1 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, as far as I remember, in DOS, hard disks (or more precisely int13h BIOS devices) have priority over CD-ROM and network drives.
You could try to specify drive "E:" for the CD-ROM drive in DOS.
Not sure how muich this would cause compatibility issues with DOS games, though.
Windows games were more focused on "D:" being the primary CD-ROM drives, I believe though.
Alternatively, using ASSIGN command might solve your issue (wild guess, can't remember trying this before).

Edit: Never mind. Just re-read your posting.
Note sure if this is of any help, but you could try to load your CD-ROM driver low and/or remove the "/L:E" part.
If you don't specify the drive letter, it will try to use the next best one available.
Anyway, good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 15, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to figure out why FDISK shows the disk to be about 8GB but the D: that is on it is 14GB. Or is that 8GB unallocated space?

Are you running FDISK in MS-DOS mode or did you open a command.com window in Windows 98? If it only shows up in a Windows 98 FDISK session, a wild guess would be that it's doublespaced/drivespaced and the DoubleSpace/DriveSpace driver isn't loaded in DOS mode. Seeing "Lastdrive=H" reminded me of the *Space drivers from back then.

Reply 3 of 15, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Note sure if this is of any help, but you could try to load your CD-ROM driver low and/or remove the "/L:E" part.
If you don't specify the drive letter, it will try to use the next best one available.

I don't think it has to do with the CD-ROM driver. If I don't specify the drive letter, the CD-ROM takes the D: drive, if I don't load it at all, still no D: drive.

AlaricD wrote:

Are you running FDISK in MS-DOS mode or did you open a command.com window in Windows 98? If it only shows up in a Windows 98 FDISK session, a wild guess would be that it's doublespaced/drivespaced and the DoubleSpace/DriveSpace driver isn't loaded in DOS mode. Seeing "Lastdrive=H" reminded me of the *Space drivers from back then.

I can see the D: drive in fdisk on either, but it only gets mounted within Windows. I also noticed that the D: drive is missing from Safe Mode, which is probably related. I just double-checked and compression is not enabled. The 8 GB is what the FDISK built into Windows 98 thinks the total capacity of the drive is. Here is a screenshot of the full listing from within the tool as opposed to just "/status". The Non-DOS and EXT DOS partitions are my Linux installation.

fdisk.jpg
Filename
fdisk.jpg
File size
245.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]

Reply 4 of 15, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fdisk shows Disk 1's total disk space is 8033MB, yet the accounted space is much, much higher than that. Just adding the two lettered partitions together exceeds the "total disk space" displayed.

Reply 5 of 15, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote:

Fdisk shows Disk 1's total disk space is 8033MB, yet the accounted space is much, much higher than that. Just adding the two lettered partitions together exceeds the "total disk space" displayed.

Yes, my understanding is that there is an 8 GB limit built into the version of FDISK that comes with Windows 98. I could be incorrect, but I don't believe this is related to the core problem. My intention in showing the fdisk output was to illustrate that the tool sees the drive and assigns it the letter D:.

This is the "real" fdisk output from Linux:

Disk /dev/sda: 29.8 GiB, 32019111936 bytes, 62537328 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x0007d55f

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 63 8401994 8401932 4G b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda2 8402944 9824255 1421312 694M 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 9826302 31825919 21999618 10.5G 5 Extended
/dev/sda4 31825920 62535679 30709760 14.7G b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda5 9826304 29825023 19998720 9.5G 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 29827072 31825919 1998848 976M 82 Linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

I am using LILO as the boot loader. I also double-checked that I am not hiding any drives / partitions.

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
# Append any additional kernel parameters:
append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
boot = /dev/sda

#compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.

# Boot BMP Image.
# Bitmap in BMP format: 640x480x8
bitmap = /boot/slack.bmp
# Menu colors (foreground, background, shadow, highlighted
# foreground, highlighted background, highlighted shadow):
bmp-colors = 255,0,255,0,255,0
# Location of the option table: location x, location y, number of
# columns, lines per column (max 15), "spill" (this is how many
# entries must be in the first column before the next begins to
# be used. We don't specify it here, as there's just one column.
bmp-table = 60,6,1,16
# Timer location x, timer location y, foreground color,
# background color, shadow color.
bmp-timer = 65,27,0,255

# Standard menu.
# Or, you can comment out the bitmap menu above and
# use a boot message with the standard menu:
#message = /boot/boot_message.txt

# Wait until the timeout to boot (if commented out, boot the
# first entry immediately):
prompt
# Timeout before the first entry boots.
# This is given in tenths of a second, so 600 for every minute:
timeout = 200
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
reset
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# Ask for video mode at boot (time out to normal in 30s)
#vga = ask
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
#vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
#vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
#vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
#vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
#vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
#vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
#vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
#vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
Show last 15 lines
#vga=769
# End LILO global section
# Windows bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/sda1
label = Windows
table = /dev/sda
# Windows bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda5
label = Linux
read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

Reply 6 of 15, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the partition starts outside some cylinder limit (although the 1024 cylinder boundary usually refers to being able to boot from a partition).

Reply 7 of 15, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am thinking that it probably has something to do with the 8 GB Int 13h limit.

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/bio … im.htm#Int13ext
"Last but not least, we need a partition utility capable of creating partitions above the 8 GB boundary which the OS can see. The version of FDISK supplied with these Operating Systems is able to do this with the aid of new partition types 0Eh and 0Fh (FAT16) or 0Bh and 0Ch (FAT32; Win95b-OSR2 / Win98 only). Except for primary partitions below the 8 GB boundary, these new FDISK versions automatically select the new partition types, i.s.o. the old ones, when a BIOS with Int 13h extensions is detected."

I noticed that the fdisk in Linux showed the partition type as "b". I tried changing it to type "c - W95 FAT32 (LBA)" and reformatting it. Now the D: drive letter is there, but I am getting a sector not found error when trying to access it. Seems like a step forward but still not fixed.

If I can't get it working I'll just re-size the C: partition to use as much space under 8 GB as possible while still leaving room for my Linux /boot partition.

Reply 8 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, that's interesting. Would make sense, though. I'm still learning about DOS 7.x+.. 😊
(I recall that around Win9x, the enhanced inth13h interface was introduced; but I don't know if it was used by DOS 7.x ecer)
The 8GB limit was famous, though. Some FastDisk drivers for Win 3.1 also had an 8GB drive limit if memory serves.

Edit: Some typos fixed. Also worth a try - FreeDOS. 😀

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 15, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am almost certain this is being caused by some sort of 8 GB limitation with my BIOS. The version of fdisk that comes with Windows 98 should correctly report sizes up to 64 GB, but it gets cut off at 8 GB on this system. Somehow Linux and Windows 98 in GUI mode know how to deal with this and DOS does not. I am just re-sizing and shifting partitions around to get a bit more space on the C: drive and leaving it be.

Reply 10 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Makes sense. Does the mainboard (486, 586 ?) support LBA already ?
I grew up with older Pcs and remember that some supported E-CHS aka LARGE, which also had an ~8GB limit.
Anyway, just saying. It's unlikely, but maybe -if the CMOS Setup is set to AUTO- it could be the case that the HDD detection
of such an old PC is confused by the rather modern HDD. 😀

Edit: Source: https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk-4.html

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 15, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, what is it you're trying to do? Use the entire hard drive as one drive? Are you willing to wipe the drive clean and start over? Because if your BIOS has a limit of 8GB, then find the Drive Overlay software that goes with that brand of old hard drive.

I'll tell you what I did with my build so you can understand what I mean.

I've got a 200MHz P54C Pentium in a Socket7 ATX board, 64MB of RAM via 72-pin 60ns EDO SIMMs. I run Windows 95 OSR2 on it.
The smallest hard drive I had is an old Maxtor 20.4GB hard drive.
Problem is, the motherboard is a Micronics m55hi. Even with the latest BIOS update for it, it still has a hard limit of 8GB, just like your BIOS seems to have. Even FDISK from a Windows 98 startup disk kept giving me errors. It REFUSED to let me partition/format more than 8GB - that that was simply unacceptable to me.

So I found the Maxtor Drive Overlay software, used a USB Floppy drive to format and create the floppy image, and then booted to that in order to configure the drive. Once I booted the system and the Drive Overlay software became resident in memory, it saw all 20.4 GB and FDISK had ZERO problems formatting it as one big drive. After that, it was simple to install Windows 95.

I have had NO issues since. I have disabled BIOS booting to anything but the hard drive, because the MAXTOR software actually has a boot option for both floppy (space) and CD-ROM (letter C) built into it. If I don't push anything, it continues to boot into Windows 95. And it stays resident in memory as long as the system is on, so even if I boot into DOS mode, DOS sees the partition and has full access. If I exit Windows 95 into DOS mode, same thing: full access.

I know Western Digital had software like that too. I might even have a floppy of THAT software lying around somewhere.

Yep. Found it.

IMG_0135[1].JPG
Filename
IMG_0135[1].JPG
File size
943.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 12 of 15, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My only goal really is to make sure I have some sort of half way sensible partitioning scheme and enough space for everything (DOS games, Windows, Linux). It doesn't need to all be on one partition. I am using a 32 GB compact flash card.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-6BXC 440BX board with the PowerLeap BIOS. This board doesn't have a "hard" 8 GB limit, but there are a couple of limitations that I have found that need to be worked around.
-Bootable partitions need to be in the first 8 GB.
-DOS (and Win 9x in MS-DOS mode) can't seem to see partitions beyond 8 GB. Windows and Linux can.

I've settled on the following that I think will work:
-7.5 GB primary partition for Windows 98 C: drive. (Windows 98 OS and MS-DOS programs)
-512 MB primary Linux /boot.
-10 GB primary Windows D: drive (Windows programs as MS-DOS mode can't see it).
-1 GB extended Linux swap.
-12 GB extended Linux /

I've used drive overlay software in the past but I think I can get by without it here.

Reply 13 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What if you set the drive as active? (PM will still take preference so wont affect booting) I dont think it will make a change but cant hurt to try?
Seems really strange that Win98 can see it but dos cant?

Reply 14 of 15, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

What if you set the drive as active? (PM will still take preference so wont affect booting) I dont think it will make a change but cant hurt to try?
Seems really strange that Win98 can see it but dos cant?

I don't remember for certain, but I believe I tried that and it didn't help. Yes, this is very weird.

I thought about this more and decided that since I am using one of those CF adapters that fits in a PCI slot for storage, I was being silly with all these complicated partitioning schemes and boot loader configurations to handle multiple OSes. I ended up using WD Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 and I was easily able to install Windows 98 on a single 32 GB partition. MS-DOS mode also reports the capacity correctly. Before that, Windows 98's fdisk would only see 8 GB total. I will install Linux to a separate CF card.

Reply 15 of 15, by _Roffe_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When i want to make big partitions on my DOS\Windows machines, i most often have to put the CF card in a new machine like a Socket 370 Pentium 3 😀 Boot up with 98SE startup disk, make all the partitions most time like this:
C: 1.9gb (Active)
D: 14gb
then i move the CF card to my socket 3\7 machine..
Or i just use a 400-1,8gb IDE Drive as C and make a full D: out of the hole CF\SD card..