VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 600 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please, test fullscreen emulation via a borderless window as imlemented in alpha 20. To activate the new feature set fullborderless to true.

DosFreak wrote:

I don't know about the particulars of borderless fullscreen but when modifying SDL to get DOSBox to work on NT 3.50 I had to disable fullscreen support in SDL. So when you switch DOSBox to "fullscreen" it's a fullscreen window. You can also tell it's a window see there's no desktop icon mess or lag when switching between fullscreen and window mode and there's the DOSBox title bar at the top of the screen. Dunno if useful for your purposes since it's likely overkill but it was fun figuring it out.

Thank you, but (I hope) I have managed without your reference. To put it short, it was a matter of passing SDL_NOFRAME instead of SDL_FULLSCREEN.

Reply 601 of 733, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:

Please, test fullscreen emulation via a borderless window as imlemented in alpha 20. To activate the new feature set fullborderless to true.

DosFreak wrote:

I don't know about the particulars of borderless fullscreen but when modifying SDL to get DOSBox to work on NT 3.50 I had to disable fullscreen support in SDL. So when you switch DOSBox to "fullscreen" it's a fullscreen window. You can also tell it's a window see there's no desktop icon mess or lag when switching between fullscreen and window mode and there's the DOSBox title bar at the top of the screen. Dunno if useful for your purposes since it's likely overkill but it was fun figuring it out.

Thank you, but (I hope) I have managed without your reference. To put it short, it was a matter of passing SDL_NOFRAME instead of SDL_FULLSCREEN.

Will try it after patch implemented in ECE build 😎

Reply 602 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote:

Will try it after patch implemented in ECE build :cool:

Volunteers for beta-testing may use my development build from the attachment.

Attachments

• Filename
    pp20a-bin-win32.zip
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    56 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 603 of 733, by Pat86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems to break more on my side:

With openglpp tearing is back in windowed fullscreen eventhough glfullvsync=true. in regular window tearing is gone, yet main menu+loading screen dont lag either.

With surfacepp i have random pixel garbage on every side. switchting with ALT+ENTER between regular window and windowed fullscreen it seems to show the previous pixels around the game.

n2NEPdg.png
NmX4Mo9.png

Reply 604 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pat86 wrote:

With openglpp tearing is back in windowed fullscreen eventhough glfullvsync=true. in regular window tearing is gone, yet main menu+loading screen dont lag either.

Windowed fullscreen is new in this version, so you can't technically say it is back, unless I misunderstand you... It is strange that windowed fullscreen (i.e. borderless window) and normal windowed modes behave differently. They don't on my PC. Notice that glfullvsync works only with true hardware fullscreen (i.e. when fullborderless is false).

Pat86 wrote:

With surfacepp i have random pixel garbage on every side. switchting with ALT+ENTER between regular window and windowed fullscreen it seems to show the previous pixels around the game.

I do not have it in my environment, will try to fix it.

Reply 605 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pat86 wrote:

Please, test if this bug is fixed in the attached build. Edit: I have attached the patch as well.

Attachments

• Filename
    pp21a-4184.diff
    File size
    85.43 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    pp21a-bin-win32.zip
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license

Reply 606 of 733, by Pat86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes it is 😀

btw when i start openglpp with fullborderless=true it still starts as a regular window. ALT+ENTER brings it to fullscreen. Is this borderless window or real fullscreen as it tears in fullscreen. Yet in regular window it doesnt. tried it with the crystal cave title screen.

Reply 607 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for testing, Pat.

Pat86 wrote:

btw when i start openglpp with fullborderless=true it still starts as a regular window.

This setting does not activate fullscreen mode, but rather tells DOSBox to emulate it in a window whenever fullscreen is activated. If you want DOSBox to start in fullscreen, set the standard parameter fullscreen to true.

Pat86 wrote:

Is this borderless window or real fullscreen as it tears in fullscreen. Yet in regular window it doesnt. tried it with the crystal cave title screen.

Thanks for the information, I will try to reproduce it on another PC.

Edit: I ask everybody to test on your machines whether regular windowed mode behavies differently from the borderless fullscreen window.

Reply 610 of 733, by FulValBot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that v-sync can works only with exclusive fullscreen mode (most games will show that option only with fullscreen mode)

In windowed and borderless mode you can't see tearing, if i remember; i don't know if there are differences

And alt tab will works very fast

Reply 611 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not talking about hardware V-Sync, which is activated by glfullvsync and works only in true fullscreen. I am referring to bladeSk's idea of using a borderless fullscreen winodow as a way to make avail of V-Sync built into the later versions of Windows:

bladeSk wrote:

A feature used by modern games that relies on the OS to provide VSYNC. This eliminates screen tearing.

What I find confusing is that for Pat86 this seems to work in regular window yet doesn't work in a borderless one. Pat, did you have

windowresulution=desktop

while testing?

FulValBot wrote:

In windowed and borderless mode you can't see tearing, if i remember

Have you confirmed it with the latest version of my patch?

Reply 612 of 733, by Pat86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ant_222 wrote:
Pat, did you have […]
Show full quote

Pat, did you have

windowresulution=desktop

while testing?

yes. i dont know if it helps, but i'm on windows 10 build 1809.

Jazz Jackrabbit
fullborderless = main menu+loading screen doesnt lag, yet it tears ingame.
windowed = main menu+loading screen doesnt lag nor tears ingame.

[sdl]
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=desktop
output=openglpp
fullborderless=true

[dosbox]
machine=vgaonly
captures=..\captures\28
memsize=8

[render]
aspect=true
scaler=none

[cpu]
cycles=max 95% limit 30000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

[mixer]
rate=49716

[sblaster]
oplemu=nuked
oplrate=49716

[joystick]
deadzone=0

[dos]
keyboardlayout=de129

[autoexec]
mount C "D:\GOG Games\Jazz Jackrabbit"
C:
cd \
JAZZ.EXE
exit

Crystal Caves
fullborderless = title screen has this nasty tearing line
windowed = title screen scrolls smooth without tearing

[sdl]
fullborderless=true
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=desktop
output=openglpp

[dosbox]
machine=ega
captures=..\captures\34
memsize=8

[render]
aspect=true
scaler=none

[joystick]
deadzone=0

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\Program Files (x86)\3DRealms\Anthology\Crystal Caves"
C:
cd \
CC1.EXE
exit

Hocus Pocus
fullborderless = main menu doesnt lag (slow music), yet it tears ingame
windowed = main menu doesnt lag (slow music) nor tears ingame

[sdl]
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=desktop
output=openglpp
fullborderless=true

[dosbox]
captures=..\captures\33

[render]
aspect=true
scaler=none

[mixer]
rate=48000

[sblaster]
oplemu=nuked
oplrate=48000

[joystick]
deadzone=0

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\Program Files (x86)\3DRealms\Anthology\Hocus Pocus"
C:
cd \
HOCUS.EXE
exit

Reply 617 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then please test the attached build with openglpp and openglnb. On my PC the tearing line appears at seemingly random vertical positions, which change when switching from regular window to borderless and back, so look carefully. I will also need a screenshot of borderless mode.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-sm.zip
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    56 downloads
    File license

Reply 618 of 733, by Pat86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

openglpp

for everything borderless = seeable taskbar + outline of my desktop on both + upper sides

Jazz = no tearing nor main menu lag in windowed nor borderless.
Crystal Cave = random "whole gamescreen" jittering on the titlescreen in windowed & borderless. not this 1 tearing line like before.
Hocus Pocus = main menu music plays fine in both windowed and borderless, yet there's tearing ingame in borderless. in windowed its fine.

openglnb

does borderless work here too, because i dont see any outlines + taskbar here like with openglpp

Jazz = no main menu lag in both modes, yet it tears in fullscreen. windowed is fine.
Crystal Cave = random "whole gamescreen" jittering in windowed. in fullscreen there's this 1 bigger tearing line like before.
Hocus Pocus = main menu music plays fine in both windowed and fullscreen, yet there's tearing ingame in fullscreen. in windowed its fine.

Reply 619 of 733, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So shall we say that a tiny clearance between the borderless window and the screen helps with the tearing in Jazz Jackrabbit and Hocus Pocus, but not in Crystal Cave?

Pat86 wrote:

does borderless work here too, because i dont see any outlines + taskbar here like with openglpp

Yes, but it fits the window exactly to the screen size, whereas in openglpp, for the sake of experiment, it makes the window very slightly smaller than the screen.

Can you now test the same games with the official build of bladeSk's fork? Since it is anothet product, you will have to use different config-file settings:

fullresolution=desktop
output=openglnb
pixelperfect=true
borderless=true

This version uses the config file named dosbox-SVN.conf . It will create one if it is not there already.

Edit: Replaced my own build with the official one.