VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I recently reacquired one of my childhood games, Sega's Bug! for Windows. I tried installing it on my Windows 2000 machine, along with all the extras on the disc such as WinG. However, while the game boots up okay, it crashes right after the initial company logos, where I assume it is trying to play a video off the CD-Rom. I hear the first split second of the video, but then it looks like the display driver crashes, and the game crashes to desktop with no error message to be seen.

Upon attempting to reinstall the version of DirectX 2.0 found on the CD, it pops up a Window that tells me every DirectX component is installed, except for Direct3D (not installed.) Clicking the Reinstall DirectX button does nothing, as I already have DirectX 9.0b installed from other games.

Does anyone know how to get Bug! to play the intro video properly, so I can at least get to the main menu?

I might also want to mention that the game's installer, which normally has sprites of Bug acting as the progress bar in Windows 98, instead replaces that image with a duplicate of the top lines of the Bug! installer's background art.

My specs of the Windows 2000 machine:
Intel Pentium M 1.1ghz
256mb RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 32mb
80gb IDE HDD

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 2, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you checked DirectX 9.0b still works?

Basically, you should not try to install multiple versions of DirectX on the same OS (also, WinG is for Windows 3.x...). Version 5 and earlier will happily overwrite later versions without warning, IIRC.

Reply 2 of 2, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Have you checked DirectX 9.0b still works?

Basically, you should not try to install multiple versions of DirectX on the same OS (also, WinG is for Windows 3.x...). Version 5 and earlier will happily overwrite later versions without warning, IIRC.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been very busy as of late.
Yes, I have. Newer DirectX titles such as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Max Payne, and even Source Engine Games run perfectly fine.
And I wasn't aware that it would overwrite. The installer included with Bug! for DX2 just seems to skip to "Installation Complete" without even showing a progress bar, so I took that as a sign that DX9 prevented it from doing so. Everything else still works, however.