VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I received 2 days ago a v2 that I bought on ebay, it was sold as working and in perfect condition.
Unlucky it's not true, the card is missing 2 of the 4 lateral pins where you hook the video cables and even worse some pin of the chipset are bent, they touch each others, but even worse one is completely broken... sure it's not working.
I have been stupid because I trusted the condition (Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections) and the seller description: the card is in perfect condition while in the picture it was clear that the pin was already broken.

https://imgur.com/a/ceSR4dp

That being said, the card sometimes get detected and windows ask for the drivers but then when I open 3dmark I can't select it, I only see the primary card, if I try it on dos, with gta or tomb raider the screen goes black and nothing else happen.
Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• v22.jpg
    Filename
    v22.jpg
    File size
    524.7 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Broken Pin
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • v2.jpg
    Filename
    v2.jpg
    File size
    320.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Auction Picture
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 16, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm on a phone and I cannot see the pictures very clear as I would. However from the photo on imgur looks like the main chip has a little bit of corrosion on the right side. What I would recommend is get some isopropyl alcohol and a very soft brush and try to clean all the card as good as you can.
Regarding to pins touching, if you have steady hands, with a small needle, very gently set them a part.
As for the pin that is completely broken, it can be resolved however requires soldering skills

Reply 3 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote:

I'm on a phone and I cannot see the pictures very clear as I would. However from the photo on imgur looks like the main chip has a little bit of corrosion on the right side. What I would recommend is get some isopropyl alcohol and a very soft brush and try to clean all the card as good as you can.
Regarding to pins touching, if you have steady hands, with a small needle, very gently set them a part.
As for the pin that is completely broken, it can be resolved however requires soldering skills

Unlucky those are skills that I don't have, just a bit of soldering skill but not enough I suppose...

Baoran wrote:

I would personally return a broken card that was described as fully functional by the seller.

That is what i'm trying to achieve but the seller refused to take it back since the auction said no return.
I agree he sold me something labelled as working and in fact it doesn't.
Do you have any experience about eBay controversy?
Thanks

As a side note is a shame because it's a nice card with memory rated 110mhz against the usually 100.

Reply 5 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

I thought everything had that "ebay money back guarantee" even if the seller does not accept returns.

It has, I suppose, I paid with paypal, but it's something I never had to use in such unfriendly way...

Reply 6 of 16, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you paid with paypal you can get your money back, however you will have to pay yourself the shipping cost for sending it back to the seller.
Just take as much pictures and video as you can so you can show PayPal when you open a Claim with them.

Reply 7 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote:

If you paid with paypal you can get your money back, however you will have to pay yourself the shipping cost for sending it back to the seller.
Just take as much pictures and video as you can so you can show PayPal when you open a Claim with them.

Thank you for the tip, do you think the pictures I took could be enough?
What should I show in the video? That the card gets detected on windows but not on applications (neither the control panel appears on video properties)

Reply 9 of 16, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How much did you pay for it?
Personally if it was less than 20-30 euros (USD) I would risk it and try to fix it myself.
Take pictures close (like a macro shot ) of what is broken, if possible use Paint to draw a Red circle on the damaged area. And argument that it was not clearly shown on the listing pictures and seller didn't specify such issue.
On the video try to start a game that works only with the voodoo and try to document as why it doesn't work properly .
BTW how much did it cost to you ?

Reply 10 of 16, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote:
How much did you pay for it? Personally if it was less than 20-30 euros (USD) I would risk it and try to fix it myself. Take pic […]
Show full quote

How much did you pay for it?
Personally if it was less than 20-30 euros (USD) I would risk it and try to fix it myself.
Take pictures close (like a macro shot ) of what is broken, if possible use Paint to draw a Red circle on the damaged area. And argument that it was not clearly shown on the listing pictures and seller didn't specify such issue.
On the video try to start a game that works only with the voodoo and try to document as why it doesn't work properly .
BTW how much did it cost to you ?

I paid it 40 eur, it's an interesting model thanks to the 110 mhz of ram, but I wouldn't be able to repair my self, so shipping it to someone who will take care of this will take me more money, furthermore I bought it as working...
I will do as you advice, thanks.

Reply 11 of 16, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No returns means you cant return an item just because you changed your mind. You can absolutely return an item that is not as described even when a seller says no returns. otherwise you could list a 5950 ultra for sale and post a 5200 and just say sorry no returns when the buyer complains.

I would go down this route first.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 12 of 16, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Correct. Choose the resolve a problem iron in your purchase through eBay. Explain the issue. They'll likely side with you. Especially if you have pictures.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 15 of 16, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote:

A quick update, the dispute on ebay has been decided on my favour, the seller has 5 days to give me the label to return the item, otherwise ebay will fill a complete refund.

Be careful, i got scammed hard by ebay once....seller refuses to provide return label, scamBay then asks me to send at my expense to be reimbursed after seller recieves item. So i send it at considerable cost, seller then refuses to pick up the item from post office (so technicality never "delivered"). So i lost the purchase cost, and the return postage cost, and the case had no way to escalate the case. "Money back guarantee".

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 16 of 16, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had the same situation with a Radeon 9800 Pro. Seller mentioned in the auction the card works perfectly.
When I tested it it shows artifacts. I paid with Paypal so I opened a dispute there and got my money completely back without even having to send the card back (seems seller was aware it was broken).