Common searches

FYI: Steam drops XP/Vista in 2019

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 236, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think linux gaming suffers the same fate as Windows gaming though: the Steam client requires a certain minimal version of the OS. So at some point you will have to upgrade your OS, and at some point your OS will be so much newer that you can no longer use it on certain retro hardware, because support was dropped, or the system requirements are simply too high.

In fact, if I look here:
https://store.steampowered.com/about/
The only officially supported linux is "Ubuntu Linux (latest version)."

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 181 of 236, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
I think linux gaming suffers the same fate as Windows gaming though: the Steam client requires a certain minimal version of the […]
Show full quote

I think linux gaming suffers the same fate as Windows gaming though: the Steam client requires a certain minimal version of the OS. So at some point you will have to upgrade your OS, and at some point your OS will be so much newer that you can no longer use it on certain retro hardware, because support was dropped, or the system requirements are simply too high.

In fact, if I look here:
https://store.steampowered.com/about/
The only officially supported linux is "Ubuntu Linux (latest version)."

You are correct, this is a broader issue about DRM, not steam in particular. If we just had these games available to install locally on the OS they were intended for no one would care about steam support dropping.

Reply 182 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately DRM works both ways, like incompatible with modern OS StarForce and SecuROM crap. Solution is always the same though - cut this cancerous growth entirely.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 183 of 236, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

I'll give Valve a partial pass if I see a best effort on their part to give XP clients the most usable experience possible on the 12/2018 client. But if they go on a self-righteous "Windows XP must be killed" warpath then my attitude toward them will sour considerably.

You're deluded if you think vendors like Valve have any interest in "Killing" Windows XP, as if they even care.

I feel like there's a bit a hubris in the attitude that this is something Valve is doing "TO YOU".

Steam is relatively complex tool. It depends on stacks of libraries and middleware maintained by third parties. One day, those maintainers will stop supporting Windows XP for whatever reason, and when they do, Valve's hand is forced.

They can either spend time, money, and resources catering to 0.11% of surveyed systems, or they can take advantage of the functionality improvements and bug/security/performance fixes in new versions of their libraries.

The fact that this means you can potentially no longer play games you paid money for is a real issue. I 100% agree.

But let's call a spade a spade. Valve is a company, its reason for existing is to make money. It doesn't have emotions or a conscience, it is literally incapable of having ulterior motives.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 184 of 236, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried to install Steam on a XP machine on the 2nd of january and while it let you log in, you couldn't download anything. (it said that the download servers were unreachable).

After a googling (which was surprisingly hard, as every single tech releated website made articles about steam's eol on xp/vista) I've found this:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/abtw5 … ed_for_xpvista/
https://archive.org/details/steam_201901.

I haven't tested the whole archived client, but I've just replaced the config.vdf file in my install with the one in the archive and it seems to work.

Perhaps it may be useful to some of you. 😀

Reply 185 of 236, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For all these 'updates' and 'chromium' BS Steam still doesn't LET YOU USE ZOOM IN THEIR BROWSER! Arrghh.. You can find threads complaining about this dating back 7 years..

Reply 186 of 236, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andrea wrote:
I've tried to install Steam on a XP machine on the 2nd of january and while it let you log in, you couldn't download anything. ( […]
Show full quote

I've tried to install Steam on a XP machine on the 2nd of january and while it let you log in, you couldn't download anything. (it said that the download servers were unreachable).

After a googling (which was surprisingly hard, as every single tech releated website made articles about steam's eol on xp/vista) I've found this:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/abtw5 … ed_for_xpvista/
https://archive.org/details/steam_201901.

I haven't tested the whole archived client, but I've just replaced the config.vdf file in my install with the one in the archive and it seems to work.

Perhaps it may be useful to some of you. 😀

thanks, using that is definitely still working for now.

Reply 187 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm afraid this solution will be very short-lived. As soon as they roll out some new security patches, you'll probably won't be able to log-in on XP machine with the old client.

Reply 188 of 236, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like it happened.

Had a power failure and had to restart my machine this morning. System came up but Steam did not.

Steam - Fatal Error
Failed to load steamui.dll

Initially suspected a corrupt file because I have seen this before so I dragged the file out of the Steam folder and forced it to download again. No dice. Then I woke up an XP laptop I knew steam was still working on and it connected fine, then informed that an update had been released and a restart was required.
Restarted steam and again, steamui.dll was no longer loading.

Not even a thank you or a final notice. Just a janky broken-ass startup. Thanks Valve. 😒

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 189 of 236, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup that's all she wrote. If you are in offline mode and haven't run it for a bit it will launch 1 more time, then after that steamui.dll error. I'll be interested to see how long people who deny steam an internet connection are able to keep going.

Reply 192 of 236, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Not really if you factor in their new website design. It only obeys recent Chromiums now I heard

At least you can download offline installers elsewhere and move them to a retro PC. I guess that makes it the awkward friendship where the other side kind of wishes you would just go away?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 193 of 236, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Steam still connects to Valve's servers in offline mode. It needs to be blocked by a firewall or disconnected from the Internet to work truly offline.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 194 of 236, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG is your only friend anymore.

DRM hack is your friend too.

Reply 196 of 236, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought, that this already would be here, but better late then never, I guess...

Anyway, you can still access Steam in XP, download and play all the games from library. You only need to overwrite some DLL libraries with older one and disable automatic updates. You can find guide for it here:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/ … 388024825398458

I did clean install of XP 3 days ago, and with this guide, I was able to run Steam without any issues, and also download and run Half-Life.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 197 of 236, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never used Steam and never will. Is there anything in the EULA that says that Valve can just decide to brick your entire Steam-crippled library any time they feel like it, even if you haven't done anything wrong?

Even if there is such a clause in the EULA, I don't see how it can be legal.

"Um, yes your honor, we did disable all the games that these users paid for."

"Did they do something wrong?"

"Nope, we just didn't care about them anymore."

"OK, sounds perfectly fine to me. Case dismissed!"

Reply 198 of 236, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rekrul wrote:

Even if there is such a clause in the EULA, I don't see how it can be legal.

I do.
The catch is in the part of "paid for".
You didn't pay for ownership of the games, you paid for a license to use it. That license, by its terms, is not indefinite.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 199 of 236, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Fire Vine wrote:

what about fallout 3
that game ONLY works with xp or vista
whats the point of even getting that game on steam then

I too was unable to run Fallout 3 on windows 10 using Steam... but when I decided to buy Fallout 3 on GOG, then it worked without any issues (the GOG version, the steam version has never worked on any of my systems)!

I mostly play it with Tale of Two wastelands now though (TTW)

Scali wrote:

I do.
The catch is in the part of "paid for".
You didn't pay for ownership of the games, you paid for a license to use it. That license, by its terms, is not indefinite.

this is why I only buy games on GOG now, plus they are DRM free!

I still have a crazy amount of steam games, and the ones that I can not get on GOG I will play on steam until such time they decide it is okay to rip me off by removing one or more paid games!

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850