VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't know what they were when I found them. They came with a lot of other stuff that I got from a recycle center nearby (more on that later! Got some good stuff.)

There are about 20 cards in the lot. I haven't counted them yet... I saw them and initially thought they were some kind of PC-on-a-card due to the presence of the 80C186 chip. But no! When I get home I find out they are... speech synthesizer cards?!

I don't know anything about these! Where did they come from? Why are they in such pristine condition? Why were they just sitting on top of a giant pile of motherboards at the recycle center? I will never know the answers, but I sure bought the lot of them, including a bunch of other stuff, for a measly twenty-five bucks.

So, can anyone tell me about these cards - what was their reputation back in the day, what is their value today, and boy oh boy how do I get one of them up and running in a DOS machine!

Here are some pictures of one of the cards (yes, they all look this good - crisp and as if they just came off the factory line 😲 ):
IMG-6862.jpg
IMG-6863.jpg
IMG-6864.jpg
IMG-6865.jpg
IMG-6866.jpg
IMG-6867.jpg

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 7, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Druaga1 has a handful of videos about his working unit. I believe it takes specific software to drive it if I recall correctly. If it's impossible to locate elsewhere, he's the sort of person to respond to a comment and get back to you with a disk image.

As for value, I see one on eBay for nearly $200, far too much in my estimation. DECTalk hasn't really changed all that greatly so it's only valuable in a useful sense to a likely very small number of people who find themselves with a failed ISA-based DECTalk system that absolutely cannot be replaced.

Of course, the number of people who would be interested because it's neat is probably pretty high. You can count me among them.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 2 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm. My instinct as to their value lies somewhere in the $25-$75 range, but again, I have no idea... I don't know how scarce they are, or just how many people would actually want to buy one.

Of course, I would keep one or two for my personal use 😎

Reply 3 of 7, by webjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@keenmaster486 - I registered to this forum just to reply to this thread! Do you still have any of those cards for sale?

If you found that many, I suspect they may have been from NOAA weather service as they retired these Dectalk with a new and more modern Speech Synthesis project.
You can read about it here: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/06/15/noaa … is-name-is-paul

edit: fixed typos.

Last edited by webjoe on 2020-08-25, 21:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
webjoe wrote on 2020-08-04, 06:32:

@keenmaster486 - I registered to this forum just to reply to this thread! Do you still have any of those cards for sale?

If you found that many, I suspect they may have been from NOAA weather service as they retired these Dectalk with a new and more moder Speech Synthesis project.
You can read about it here: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/06/15/noaa … is-name-is-paul

Hmmm, you may be right about this. The background here is I found them at the University of Colorado's recycle center in Boulder, CO. They may have come from some university lab, or possibly from NIST which is right next door. NIST does run the national time service on shortwave which uses a computerized voice to read the time, so that could have been it in addition to NOAA.

I do still have a couple of the cards. I sold most of them. The couple that I retained, if I remember right, have issues... probably just bad capacitors that I could fix but if you are interested I could try them again and see if I was just goofing up the first time I tested them.

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No sales on Vogons!!!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

By popular demand unlocked the thread again.
A reminder: there are no sales on Vogons. Next time someone asks to buy it stays closed or the user asking gets banned 😉
(And yes, I know Keenmaster did not intend this thread for selling the cards)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper