VOGONS

Strange 386 motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody! Sorry for my english, i comming from Poland and i’m pretty old guy, too old for language learning.

Enybody know something about this MB?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 28, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well that’s a rarity. It has an Intel 82385 cache controller.

https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_intel80 … onJul87_4494944

Did you check stason.org TULARC?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 28, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That 96-pin connector is interesting.
Are there any other markings on the back of the board that might show a model number or a motherboard maker?

Reply 4 of 28, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nop, its clear from behind

Ps. This motherboard was installed in this case, case Look like new, still with plastic cover on disiplay, little damage on panel, probably by shipping.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 28, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a nice looking board and a great find overall. Try identifying it on Stason, my guess is that the 96-pin connector is for a proprietary memory upgrade, and those sockets are always drawn on the stason sketches of the boards. Also, for quick identifying, the first and last ISA slot being 8 bit, and only 4 SIMM slots.

Reply 9 of 28, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently searching high and wide for a specific 386 processor board with this very connector.

So far, I only know it to be Nubus connector from older Apple systems... now I know it is also called "Processor Direct Slot"... thank you very much for this.

To the original poster.... that is indeed a nice 386 motherboard, very unusual cache design that I have only seen in one or two other boards. I agree though with another poster that the empty connector is most likely to expand the Dynamic RAM, as there only are 4 slots available which you would really only see on a baby motherboard.... not this full length board, which would require more memory for sure.

Does the board function ok? You have tested?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 28, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the motherboard is working, i ddidnt test it yet, but everything look like new, so i have Good feelings about this MB.

All i know it was bought for replace old workstation in company that i working now, but They never used this, becouse of system transformations in 1989 in Poland.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 28, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Das benutzt den gleichen 286er chipset wie dieses: http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_mainboard_286.html

Ansonsten sind Boards mit dem 80385 nichtr soo selten, hier ist z.B. das CACHE-32A: https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_mb_chips_386.html

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12 of 28, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you thing guys, is this missing part from my motherboard? Its called Hybrid Memmory Extension

Attachments

Reply 15 of 28, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would guess it's one of these proprietary 32-bit expansion slots, before manufacturers standardized on VLB slots. They were often used for proprietary daughter cards, and they one you've posted looks exactly like one. I wouldn't attach importance to the "DIN" format of the slot - manufacturers used whatever was available on the market to create these slots (VLB used a connector borrowed from MCA, PISA slots looked like EISA slots).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 16 of 28, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The memory expansion fits perfect to my motherboard, sadly it not working. Without ram motherboard can't wake up, its beeping, without ram, but with memory expansion nothing, MB can't boot, with ram and expansion its starting but its freezing during memory count.

Reply 19 of 28, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
n0m4d wrote:

nice, try J25 and see what happens

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction