VOGONS

First post, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Title is a bit funny, yeah. This has probably been posted a thousand times before.

But I think I found a modern equivalent for people with these cards that for whatever reason, original owners of these cards either never sell the cable with the card, they throw it away for whatever reason, they wanna make more money selling it separately, I don't know. What I DO know is that there's a bunch of us who have Voodoo 1 and 2 cards without these cables that probably want one.

Well, I found something on Amazon and today ordered two. I'm going to try them out on my systems here at home and report back. They claim to be 1-foot-long, which is exactly how long the ONE good cable I got with a Diamond Monster 3D II card, so it should work really well. It has a Male-to-Female build, so I won't have to use any gender-changers. Both ends have screws, so they'll work screwing directly into the cards without having to modify them or buy new connecting hardware or any of that other nonsense. Hopefully, just a clean build. The cable looks thick like mine, like it's shielded.

Am I allowed to post links to places like Amazon? I'm going to attempt to here so other people can try to get some of these or at least look at the entry for it and the pictures. If I'm breaking a rule, just tell me and I'll pull the link down from the post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJRRY9M/ … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My apologies if this exact item has already been posted about on this forum. It is not my intention to double-post. I'm just hopeful these will work perfectly.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 1 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

30cm is perfect, not too short or long. Should be better compared to most original cables, which are shorter.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 12, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Monoprice makes short VGA extension cables also. I'm using a couple 6" ones from them. These cables are a bit more stiff than the originals but the quality is about as good as I expect.

Ultimately, my setup ended up just capturing the 2D and 3D in separate inputs on my capture card, because the pass through on a V2 is still not so great.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 4 of 12, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are M/F vga cables exactly rare? I bought a number off eBay a while back, and they work well. Although only one end has screws.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 6 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote:

I think they are still produced & available. like here:
http://www.123direct.nl/Kabels/Audio-Videokab … product_id=9010

Thanks! I normally order them from Aliexpress, about the same price and free shipping but these seem a little bit thicker and look more like the original. I ordered 5 😎

The ones from Aliexpress/china work fine also.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 12, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the cables have arrived and I placed them down next to the older cable I already had. They're equivalent lengths, the cable is just as thick around but it's more flexible - probably because it's newer. I placed a AA-size battery for comparison.

IMG_1629.JPG
Filename
IMG_1629.JPG
File size
777.71 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1630.JPG
Filename
IMG_1630.JPG
File size
795.82 KiB
Views
File license

One end came with screw-through hex-sided adapters, but I easily unscrewed those from the thumb-screws. Now they're perfect for use with the Voodoo cards. No more swapping VGA ports for me on my systems! YAY!

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 8 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're equivalent lengths

Original cable is shorter due to long VGA connector base, which is not bendable.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did all voodoo 1 cards come with white cable and voodoo 2 cards with black cable? I have 2 of those cables. My original diamond monster voodoo 2 card came with black cable and when I bought a voodoo 1 card last year it came with a white cable.

Reply 10 of 12, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know. All the "original" cables I've seen have been black.

I used one of the new cables to hook up a Voodoo2 and the picture quality is very good on my LCD TV. Colors are vibrant, there's no static or distortions, pixels are sharp. It looks good.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 11 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for sharing your finding, short vga extension cables are not exactly common. There has always been a cheap alternative for short pass through voodoo cables though: vga splitters (just leave one end unconnected). It's not a better solution by any means but it's dirt cheap and widely available so, given the opportunity, I wanted to leave this here for anyone searching for alternatives.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
25.89 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 12, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem I have with a LOT of VGA extension cables is that they're purposefully made with screws on one side and screw anchors on the other, so you can't screw in the 2nd side into the Voodoo card. THAT'S the big issue. It's also really hard to find cables at 1-foot (30cm) or less. Most are at least 3 feet or 6 foot.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png