VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a ton of floppies from a guy last year and included in the lot was a disk box containing Office Assistant 1.0 disks 1-3 and Office Professional 4.3 disks 1-10. I have more stuff in storage so its possible they got split up. This doesn't seem like enough floppies for such a massive program.

Does anyone know if there were "smaller" versions of Office 4.3 available? Or am I definitely missing disks? Either way, they're probably more useful as reformatted blanks since original disks tended to be much more reliable than blanks... but still, if I had the whole set I'd probably keep them intact, just because.

Is there any point to having these if I don't have them all? Though to be perfectly honest, if I wanted to play with an ancient version of Office I'd rather download a fresh copy to avoid having to worry about one bad disk.

I need some second opinions before I either horde them for no reason or wipe them mercilessly. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cant access my disks but willing to bet the last few were useless things like extra fonts, clipart, etc which may be why the guy didn't bother with them.
I found mine in a server room few years ago and 1 disk did have a bad sector meaning I had to download afresh copy anyway. But I still keep them next to my original Dos/Win3.11 disks just to have.

Reply 2 of 5, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even with the DMF formatting, my set has 24 disk imaes (1.7MB each)

I've looked around the web, found nothing less than 40MB zipped files.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 5, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 4.3 package is also 24 disks with the first 23 being for installation and the last for the PowerPoint Viewer.

Smart folks who bought the floppy package also took advantage of Microsoft's offer to get a CD-ROM for basically shipping costs (see photos).

Attachments

• 19020800.JPG
    Filename
    19020800.JPG
    File size
    89.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Microsoft Office Professional 4.3 CD-ROM photo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 19020801.JPG
    Filename
    19020801.JPG
    File size
    85.54 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
  • 19020802.JPG
    Filename
    19020802.JPG
    File size
    108.75 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license

Reply 5 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great, thanks for the input guys!

Only having 10 of them is probably fairly useless then. If I don't find the rest I'll probably just keep them as last-resort disks to format and use. Its amazing how much more reliable manufactured disks are than store bought.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.