VOGONS

First post, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
I have recently buildt my self a 486dx2 system.
It runs games like lemmings the tribes and wolf3d with no problems, but starting dn3d, quake or wintrek i get page faults, opcode errors and general protection errors.

I have tested with different sticks of RAM, same thing happens.

What is the cause of this? 😕

My system
DOS 6.22
Windows 3.1 (Norwegian)

Intel 486DX2 66
Gemlight v2.2 SIS based VLB motherboard with AWARD Bios.
Cirrus Logic 5424 VLB graphics card
Promise Eide pro ISA controller card
Soundblaster 16 CT2290
3Com Etherlink III ISA
Seagate Medalist HDD
200w enermax AT PSU
3.5" & 5.25" FDD
CD ROM connected to sb16

received_299991713882581.jpeg
Filename
received_299991713882581.jpeg
File size
464.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would try disabling L2 cache for starters or if that still fails, L1 cache (as a test, obviously, you would not want to run without it under normal circumstances ) .

Reply 3 of 6, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Disabled the L2 and L1. I thought it worked at first because i could enter DN3D setmain.exe, but it crashed and after restart i got just the same error.
Ahh hope its not the video card 😒 I will try a different CPU, I have a few of those, but VLB video cards not so much. I have tried to change slots for the video card also with no effect. I have one more slot to try tho.

Reply 4 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a faulty isa card, it would happen only on duke3d, quake and doom would work I was positive it was the system. Changed cards and worked, tried the faulty card in a different system and got the same error on duke3d.

Those dos4gw errors are to do with memory so usually ram or video ram

Reply 5 of 6, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will take a closer look at the card. Is there some program that will do a video memory check?
Maybe I should reflow the solder on the vram, but that might be a shot in the dark.

Reply 6 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not sure about any dos diagnostic apps, quickest would be to try another card or try your card in another system, but if you have 1 card and 1 system then yeah ill wait for somebody else to recommend any dos diagnostic utility