VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I have this motherboard ACER, INC.RT-286-12/16

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … -286-12-16.html

When I power on I get a message error: keyboard error.
Imagen.png
While it is powering on I get a lot of "backfire" through speaker. I took a video:

https://mega.nz/#!bJ80RSTS!1cH6zC1w6iJDQGhV5t … HZm5_CNothta3Hw

The battery was leaked and the keyboard conector was rusty. I changed these two elements. Now the backfire is gone, but the keyboard error continues.

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try simply hitting F1? Might simply be due to CMOS without valid data. Else you should trace the connections from the keyboard connector to the keyboard controller with a multimeter in continuity and see if there is some broken trace due to battery corrosion.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 9, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

Did you try simply hitting F1? Might simply be due to CMOS without valid data. Else you should trace the connections from the keyboard connector to the keyboard controller with a multimeter in continuity and see if there is some broken trace due to battery corrosion.

The board hasn't got a jumper for clearing CMOS data, but I bet It is broken trace or something like that

Reply 3 of 9, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

286 boards don't normally have cmos clear jumpers. Does the keyboard really not work, or is it just a random error? Also, have you tried another keyboard? Most 286 motherboards will throw a keyboard error if they detect a key is held down during power up. I would check to see if your keyboard has a stuck key.
Also, does anyone else find it humorous that the bios asks for the user to press the F1 key on their keyboard if it detects that the keyboard isn't functioning?

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 5 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:

286 boards don't normally have cmos clear jumpers. Does the keyboard really not work, or is it just a random error? Also, have you tried another keyboard? Most 286 motherboards will throw a keyboard error if they detect a key is held down during power up. I would check to see if your keyboard has a stuck key.
Also, does anyone else find it humorous that the bios asks for the user to press the F1 key on their keyboard if it detects that the keyboard isn't functioning?

Yes, I had this error quite a few times. And keyboard would work, simply by pressin F1.

But this error might even happen with no keyboard attached....

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 9, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First of all: thanks you at all

Second: the keyboard is OK. I use that keyboard for all my retro motherboards and it works properly - in all other motherboards - without any problems.

Pictures the "danger zone" I'll tested with polimeter

IMG-20190210-122303.jpg IMG-20190210-122313.jpg IMG-20190210-122426.jpg IMG-20190210-122433.jpg IMG-20190210-122255.jpg

How can i repare a trace? Is there any kind of pencil for restoring that?

Reply 7 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you definitely found the trace that is broken, you have to run a wire across the gap. You can either remove some solder mask on either side of the gap and simply run a short jumper wire, soldering it to the exposed copper of the trace. Or you can run a long jumper wire, soldering it on the bottom of the board from the pin at the keyboard connector whose trace is broken to the pin on the SOCKET of the keyboard controller IC where this broken trace leads to.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 9 of 9, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's an MSI bios from this:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/msi-2116-h
on a CDtek board (more than likely a PCChips kind of thing). There is a chance that is not completely compatible...

Also we would like to have pictures of front and back of that board for its page:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/acer-rt-286-12-16