VOGONS

NOTICE FOR IBM XT OWNERS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Modern tantalum capacitors have a fuse in them that prevents explosions. I'm not sure when this got introduced to the capacitors but probably already in the 90s for good brands. Drawback is you cannot easily tell if the part has failed and the system might develop weird issues without any visible signs.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 21 of 22, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

Modern tantalum capacitors have a fuse in them that prevents explosions. I'm not sure when this got introduced to the capacitors but probably already in the 90s for good brands. Drawback is you cannot easily tell if the part has failed and the system might develop weird issues without any visible signs.

Well, but that argument probably holds for any "safe" failure modes. If an electrolytic goes "boom" it will spew electrolyte over the board, which is not nice. If it fails silently, you have the same problem. I think we are trading better failure modes for more effort in diagnosing problems. But that will be a problem in 20-30 years, when today's caps start failing. 😉

Until then I will have taught my daughters how to debug malfunctioning boards.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 22 of 22, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If they were actually THAT bad, they wouldn't still be in use

Actually some top-tier modern motherboards use ONLY tantalum.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.