VOGONS

First post, by Edwin1996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive managed to acquire a 3850 agp and have been keen to get it going. After going through all my agp motherboards i found one that supports ddr2, core 2 duos and agp which is the GA-VM800PMC. I originally tried it with an e5400 (unsupported cpu) and it booted but it was running at 1.6ghz instead of 2.7. I thought this must be some weird compatibility issue so i decided to buy the best cpu that this motherboard officially supports, leading me to spend a huge $2.95 on a e4600. It still has the same issue though. CPU is detected but both on the post screen and in windows xp it is only running at 1.2ghz instead of 2.4. Ideas? Id really like to be able to benchmark the 3850 with no bottlenecks!

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

2. Try disabling speedstep and other power saving features in the BIOS.

Sounds like it is sticking at the lowest possible multiplier of 6, which is why you are only getting 1.2Ghz. Either that or the bus speed is sticking at 100Mhz instead of 200Mhz. Check the BIOS for a bus speed setting as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Edwin1996 wrote:

i have the latest bios version, unfortunately the bios is very limited and speedstep isn't an option

With either of those cpus there should be a bios option for Enhanced SpeedStep (EIST) - try that

Reply 8 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you 100% sure that there are no bent pins in the CPU socket?

That's the only other thing that I can think of that would cause it to not run at a higher multiplier.

I am looking through the manual on Gigabyte's site and it says there is a C1E and an EIST option in the Advanced Bios Features menu - Page 33
http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/Manual/mot … 8vm800pmc_e.pdf

What RAM are you using?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 12, by Edwin1996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those options in the manual dont seem to appear in my bios. Under the "advanced bios features" tab the options I have are:

Init display first
VGA share memory
Hard Disk Boot priority
First boot device
second boot device
third boot device
Password check
Limit CPUID max. to 3 (Disabled)
No-Execute memory protect

Strange that is listed in the manual but not actually in the bios. Im using 2gb of ddr2 (2 1gb sticks), however ive also tried 256mb of ddr1 (board takes both). ill take it apart and see if there are any bent pins

Reply 10 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird... did you flash the BIOS with the one from Gigabyte? Maybe your board was in some OEM machine and they had a special locked down version of it.

And even if the one from Gigabyte is also locked down for some strange reason, it should be possible to mod that BIOS to unlock the missing settings.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 12, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I advice to flash the latest bios from gigabyte website (if you didn't already it's not clear from your messages) after that go inside the bios and press ctrl+f1 on gigabyte's mb it usually unlocks some hidden options it may do the trick.