VOGONS

First post, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With V13 of PCem I see now allowing the use of ReShade (which version exactly?) I’m wanting to upgrade from my current version of PCem. I was in hopes there was some way I could easily/quickly just somehow export my Windows 98 system in my current version of PCem and import it into the newer version? VirtualBox allows this so I was really really hoping PCem does as well instead of having to start from scratch. Thank you so very much for all responses!

Reply 1 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All you really need to do is to define a system in the newer PCem, and give it the same settings as your current one. There aren't that many configuration settings to copy (taking screenshots of them helps).
Watch for the name of the HDD image file - you can just plug the same hard drive image into your new system's settings and it should work. If you have an .NVR file for your emulated system (in subfolder "nvr"), copy it over to the new PCem too... pretty sure that should be all.

The nice thing about PCem is that a new version won't clobber the old one, as long as you just put it somewhere else. So if anything doesn't work you can always go back and experiment.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

All you really need to do is to define a system in the newer PCem, and give it the same settings as your current one. There aren't that many configuration settings to copy (taking screenshots of them helps).
Watch for the name of the HDD image file - you can just plug the same hard drive image into your new system's settings and it should work. If you have an .NVR file for your emulated system (in subfolder "nvr"), copy it over to the new PCem too... pretty sure that should be all.

The nice thing about PCem is that a new version won't clobber the old one, as long as you just put it somewhere else. So if anything doesn't work you can always go back and experiment.

Thank you so very much for commenting! This is what I was after. How exactly do I get the HDD image from my old PCem to the new system config? Thank you again SO much for taking the time to help me.

Reply 3 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That probably depends on the version you're using now, but you should be able to find the info either in PCem itself (in v11 for instance it's under 'Disc' > 'Configure hard discs') or in pcem.cfg somewhere in the options that start with "hdc_".

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

That probably depends on the version you're using now, but you should be able to find the info either in PCem itself (in v11 for instance it's under 'Disc' > 'Configure hard discs') or in pcem.cfg somewhere in the options that start with "hdc_".

I believe it’s v12. So once I locate the file starting with hdc_ all I have to do after configuring the same system settings in the new PCem is upload it in configuration under disc > configure hard discs and it will automatically recognize the HDD and boot into my current PCem system once I start the system? I found I have an .img of my Windows 98 SE system would this work?

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCem v13's OpenGL 3.0 backend supporting shaders means you don't have to use Reshade. Also you should use v14 instead, v13 is no longer current.

Assuming your hard drive paths are already absolute in your config files you shouldn't have a problem copying the cfg file into the configs folder.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by IMeganElisabeth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

PCem v13's OpenGL 3.0 backend supporting shaders means you don't have to use Reshade. Also you should use v14 instead, v13 is no longer current.

Assuming your hard drive paths are already absolute in your config files you shouldn't have a problem copying the cfg file into the configs folder.

Yes I’m now realizing that. Are you able to use ReShade shaders ending in .fx or no? Gotcha. I saw it in my config files so you mean all I have to do is copy that cfg file from my old PCem confide folder into the new version and it’ll just show up under systems to start just like that?