VOGONS

Reply 422 of 661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
evoportals wrote:

Please add TempleOS. It has 3d games built into it. Everything was written by a mad man who committed suicide. No joke.

Were the games 3d accelerated?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 423 of 661, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:
evoportals wrote:

Please add TempleOS. It has 3d games built into it. Everything was written by a mad man who committed suicide. No joke.

No, they're not. Using a 3D API is not the same as being hardware accelerated.

Reply 424 of 661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shiva2004 wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
evoportals wrote:

No, they're not. Using a 3D API is not the same as being hardware accelerated.

The title of the thread is "3D Accelerated Games List"

From the first post of this thread:

This is a list of accelerated games for all early 3D accelerators, EXCEPT 3DFX and Direct3D!

Any game that is not 3D accelerated wouldn't belong in this thread.

Maybe a thread should be made that specifically discusses software rendered game engines and APIs? I honestly couldn't even begin to guess what (or how many) APIs were used for the various software rendered games of the 80s and 90s.

Reply 425 of 661, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
evoportals wrote:

The story is actually very fascinating and very sad. He (Terry Davis) had a very debilitating case of schizophrenia (he underwent treatment several times but it didn't take), so in the end his life revolved around building TempleOS and listening to entropy sources for new revelation. The scope of work he was able to complete is pretty impressive and gives an indication of how strong a developer he was.

Still, not really something this thread was intended for, although maybe worth it's own separate entry.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 426 of 661, by Ligend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

[*]FX Fighter - Bundled game.
[*]Tank Commander - Bundled game.
Both these discs look identical to the retail ones on Mobygames, but they are special OEM versions. PM me with proof of ownership of the card and I can help you out.

Unfortunately, I cannot PM you, but I also have a Tasmania 3D. Would it be possible to help me out with the bundled games so I could test my card?

Reply 427 of 661, by Ligend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Big thanks to vezt and RaVeN-05 for sending me private messages, but I'm unable to reply. Maybe because I'm a newbie here and it takes time or need more forum posts to be a full member, don't know.

Anyway, here's the brief story how I got a mint condition Paradise Tasmania 3D.
As a vintage video card collector, mainly focusing on the dawn of PC 3D graphics, I'm constantly scanning local auction pages and retro gaming Facebook groups for items to add to my collection. In mid-February, a member of such a FB group uploaded dozens of pictures about ISA/PCI cards and started an auction. Most of the cards were basically e-waste, like ISA network adapters, modems, or S3 Trio/Virge-like noname VGAs, but there were two 3dfx cards and an ET6000. For the second look I spotted a strange card with "Tasmania 3D" title on it, and I knew I need to get that pack. Maybe I was just lucky, or no one else identified this card, but won the auction at the end with a surprisingly low bid. The package has arrived a few days later with this beauty. Only managed to check that the card can be seen by the PC and TAS-CHECK.EXE confirms correct installation.

Now I need to fully test the card, so looking for the original game bundles.

Here are some pictures

Tasmania3D_front.jpg
Filename
Tasmania3D_front.jpg
File size
262.54 KiB
Views
File comment
Paradise Tasmania3D front
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Tasmania3D_back.jpg
Filename
Tasmania3D_back.jpg
File size
199.83 KiB
Views
File comment
Paradise Tasmania3D back
File license
Tasmanis3D_working.jpg
Filename
Tasmanis3D_working.jpg
File size
212.37 KiB
Views
File comment
It's working!
File license

Reply 428 of 661, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's a super rare card! Nice find!

When things like that turn up I have to wonder how the makers of these early 3D cards thought it'd be even remotely worth the R&D and manufacturing costs they put into the products that are almost non-existent these days. They can't have sold very many of them. I know, hindsight... but... come on. If they made a product that only had the support of two bundled games at release, how did it even make it to market?

Reply 429 of 661, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Wow, that's a super rare card! Nice find!" Agree 100% , i wanted to say the same. Preserve it!!! and i guess you will of course =)))

I started to collect videocards too when i first discovered this topic in early 2017 i guess, so its young =) and i must say getting this card and Creative 3D Blaster VLB , Creative 3D Blaster PCI, Nvidia NV1 is real pain, because of rarity or it cost so high for average Ukrainian like me, its whole capital (pile of money, buying one i going bankrupt) hehe.

On other side i love enhanced games, and combining in one PC several accelerators is cool idea, some where here vetz mentioned that.
You can use Randition Verite(or better Creative 3D Blaster PCI) + Voodoo2 + PowerVR + Paradise Tasmania 3D. (additionaly i use Aureal Vortex2 too for sound or Sound Blaster 16 for dos better compatibility)

Second, i heard from one system administrator there is "KVM Station" (or i misheard it) a station which allow to remotely connect to PC in hardware way, so its able to use BIOS settings , DOS, use keyboard and mouse in way like it connected in reality, use COM and LPT ports. So i think good idea to open it for PCem developers so they reverse engineer it to make emulation.

Anyway going more and more to future we more and more lose that rare old hardware =(. And no functionality no wrappers , no emulators, a big thanks to dgVoodoo and nGlide for 3dfx wrapping, Barracuda for glrage (ATI 3D Rage Wrapper) on Tomb Raider 1 it makes a whole visual revolution for that game =0, it also works for Wipeout and Assault Rigs, big Thanks to PCem developers for Voodoo emulation (Staticaly linked games works fast) and S3 Virge emulation (S3D API) i have two S3 Virge cards (they can be found really easy) and finally got them to work 🤣. And thanks to Tuxality, hope he still working on PowerVR emulation/wrapping.

Sorry many said here is Offtopic , but i really glad for you, you get that rarity, don't know why, but i feel some happiness 🤣
A Big big thanks to vetz =)

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 430 of 661, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The internet archive has a cd of Special versions of games for S3 VIRGE graphics cards:
not sure i'm allowed to post the link but the games are :
Actua Soccer (semi-finals)
Terminal Velocity DOS & Win9x
Havoc

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 432 of 661, by kaiser77_1982

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
The internet archive has a cd of Special versions of games for S3 VIRGE graphics cards: not sure i'm allowed to post the link bu […]
Show full quote

The internet archive has a cd of Special versions of games for S3 VIRGE graphics cards:
not sure i'm allowed to post the link but the games are :
Actua Soccer (semi-finals)
Terminal Velocity DOS & Win9x
Havoc

Are there a pack in torrent/mega of all games to check them?

Reply 433 of 661, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

[*]Battlerace - Retail release. Only VLB support.

I have succesfully run Battlerace (1.01 patched) with VRITB170.CGL (the "Verite CGL 1.70 beta 7" one) on 3D Blaster PCI.
VRITB165.CGL not works at all, VRITB166.CGL and "Verite CGL 1.70 beta 1" have serious problem with animations.
And with 3D Blaster PCI the same bug is present as Fatal Racing/Whiplash: works only if an other VGA card is present as primary (the 3D Blaster PCI must be the 2nd one).
vetz, please update the first post.

Battle_Race_1.01.00_software_rendered.png
Filename
Battle_Race_1.01.00_software_rendered.png
File size
494.13 KiB
Views
File comment
Battle Race 1.01.00 software rendered
File license
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_VLB_1.63.png
Filename
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_VLB_1.63.png
File size
464.62 KiB
Views
File comment
Battle Race 1.01.00 on 3D Blaster VLB (CGL Revision 1.63)
File license
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_VLB_1.66.png
Filename
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_VLB_1.66.png
File size
440.12 KiB
Views
File comment
Battle Race 1.01.00 on 3D Blaster VLB (CGL Revision 1.66)
File license
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_VLB_1.70.png
Filename
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_VLB_1.70.png
File size
472.89 KiB
Views
File comment
Battle Race 1.01.00 on 3D Blaster VLB (CGL Revision 1.70)
File license
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_PCI.png
Filename
Battle_Race_1.01.00_on_3D_Blaster_PCI.png
File size
387.73 KiB
Views
File comment
Battle Race 1.01.00 on 3D Blaster PCI (Verite CGL 1.70 beta 7)
File license

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 434 of 661, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How does the Renderware engine/API work? Is it statically linked with the game and drivers? Because I see games using RenderWare being only compatible with specific hardware.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 435 of 661, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice list.. it suddently occurs to me that I never actually played any 3D games with any of my S3 Virge cards.

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 437 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ntalaec wrote on 2020-02-06, 18:26:

Since the forum update, all green text in the original post that indicated exclusive games was removed.

Is it possible to restore it?

Color not supported any longer. I've asked in mod section if this will be restored. Else the green color needs to be replaced with something else.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes