VOGONS

Reply 60 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fantastic news. I'll be paypaling you the amount soon. 😎

Now I can start trying to source the parts.. I guess the issue of sourcing a later DSP version has not been resolved yet? Is there a project list of parts to order for this, on mouser or whatever?

I really look forward to using this in my 386SX build! (Don't have any older PCs)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 61 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Fantastic news. I'll be paypaling you the amount soon. 😎

Now I can start trying to source the parts.. I guess the issue of sourcing a later DSP version has not been resolved yet? Is there a project list of parts to order for this, on mouser or whatever?

I really look forward to using this in my 386SX build! (Don't have any older PCs)

The github project has a BOM that you can import into Mouse. It is really easy.

The things you HAVE to source are:

- 1x TEA2025 amp
- 2x SAA1099 (optional) for CMS compatibility
- 2x(?) NE558 quad timer
- OPL2 plus DAC

All these can be had for small money from Chinese eBay sellers. Takes usuall 2-6 weeks to deliver. So order today! 😀

Also you need to find someone who can flash the MCU, or maybe you have an MCU programmer available anyway. I did not look for a 2.0 DSP on eBay. I will start off with the stock MCU.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 62 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Getting it flashed hereabouts will likely be difficult so maybe if someone can source two and flash one for me, then send it my way I would be happy to pay for it.

Come to think of it, would you help me out with that root42, if you haven't already sourced yours yet? As you will send me the PCB anyway so maybe you can send both?

Reply 63 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Getting it flashed hereabouts will likely be difficult so maybe if someone can source two and flash one for me, then send it my way I would be happy to pay for it.

Come to think of it, would you help me out with that root42, if you haven't already sourced yours yet? As you will send me the PCB anyway so maybe you can send both?

Sorry, my Mouser order was already placed last week. 🙁 I will ask a friend if he has a spare MCU lying around, since it's pretty standard.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 64 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Much appreciated; I will of course pay for whatever the MCU and flashing it costs. Getting the part would be no issue anyway, nogetting it flashed here is an unlikely prospect for me though unless I invest in a flasher, which I really hope I wouldn't have to 😀

Reply 66 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:

A TL866CS should be able to flash it, right?

I think so. At least the AT89S51 is listed in the devices:

http://rarecomponents.com/store/tl866-device-list

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 67 of 495, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just burned the SnarkBarker's firmware [(C)1992 Anchor Electronics Co.] into my CT1320C and it reports a DSP version of 2.01. I expected an earlier version.

_ND39433ex.jpg
Filename
_ND39433ex.jpg
File size
350.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
_ND39434ex.jpg
Filename
_ND39434ex.jpg
File size
172.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 68 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also just programmed one MCU. But my board isn’t done yet, so testing will have to wait a few days. 😀

5B5841D7-E390-4E50-844A-E7E212E86FA9.jpeg
Filename
5B5841D7-E390-4E50-844A-E7E212E86FA9.jpeg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 69 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sneak Preview of my board. Sadly Mouser forgot a bunch of resistors and capacitors in the order. Well, most of the resistors I can take from my supply, but there is one 1% and two 270 Ohms, which I think I don't have right now. Also, I do not stock capacitors. So let's wait for Mouser support to resolve this, or for me to go shopping in my local electronics store... 😉 Stupid me also forgot to order the D-Sub connector, but that will not harm the function of the card.

IMG_0386.JPG
Filename
IMG_0386.JPG
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 70 of 495, by AnacreonZA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice to see some other people building one of these too. My 10 PCBs arrived from JLCPCB last week and I found a local supplier here in South Africa who still had TEA2025s in stock so I'm slowly accumulating all the components. Awaiting delivery of the micro-processor and SAA1099 chips which will hopefully be this week some time. NE558s are especially hard to find so I think for testing at least I'll liberate one from a dedicated Gameport ISA card I have.

So far I've only started with the sockets and smaller passives. I should have all the logic in stock but need to check exactly. It's a bigger project than what I've done before but I'm definitely looking forwards to hearing my card in action soonish.

Reply 71 of 495, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't express myself how much I dislike game ports which can't be disabled.
Yes, one may leave the U1 and U3 sockets unpopulated, but that's not possible with the original CT1320.

edit: Actually, JP1 can be used exactly for that.

Last edited by suntac on 2019-02-27, 11:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 72 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

JP1 is for disabling the game port.

However, I wonder if MIDI can be disabled, or if it will collide with keropi's Musicquest clone? Because in the long run I would like to use the Snark Barker as my mainstay card, since it is more fitting than my Jazz16 card, and has the advantage of the DSP over the Adlib clone.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 73 of 495, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote:

JP1 is for disabling the game port.

However, I wonder if MIDI can be disabled, or if it will collide with keropi's Musicquest clone? Because in the long run I would like to use the Snark Barker as my mainstay card, since it is more fitting than my Jazz16 card, and has the advantage of the DSP over the Adlib clone.

My bad, you are right.
Its MIDI won't interfere with any MPU-401-compatible interface as it is accessible only via DSP commands.

Reply 74 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yes, these older SB cards have the so-called "SB MIDI" mpu interface so you are good root42
I thought the DSP on the project was 1x or something - does this mean there is no need for an updated 2x code?!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 75 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

^ yes, these older SB cards have the so-called "SB MIDI" mpu interface so you are good root42
I thought the DSP on the project was 1x or something - does this mean there is no need for an updated 2x code?!

Yup, apparently!

Reply 76 of 495, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Yes, I assumed that too, but found out the free HEX reports a DSP version of 2.01.
The question is whether it supports all the DSP commands it should.
Is there any utility to test this?

Reply 77 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Sneak Preview of my board. Sadly Mouser forgot a bunch of resistors and capacitors in the order. Well, most of the resistors I can take from my supply, but there is one 1% and two 270 Ohms, which I think I don't have right now. Also, I do not stock capacitors. So let's wait for Mouser support to resolve this, or for me to go shopping in my local electronics store... 😉 Stupid me also forgot to order the D-Sub connector, but that will not harm the function of the card.

IMG_0386.JPG

I am in the process of ordering the parts. I did all the China stuff, working on the Mouser project now. I have little experience, so I have no supply at home.

I notice you have socketed more of the IC's than the creator recommends, they state: "You may wish to socket the two CMS chips, the 80C51 microcontroller, and the two Yamaha chips."

Any important reason you chose to socket more of them?

1982 to 2001

Reply 78 of 495, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I notice you have socketed more of the IC's than the creator recommends, they state: "You may wish to socket the two CMS chips, the 80C51 microcontroller, and the two Yamaha chips."

Any important reason you chose to socket more of them?

sockets are cheap, and your not putting all that heat of the iron into the chip which can cause it to fail.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 79 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, even after a year of soldering, I feel a bit unconfident with my soldering skills. Hence I tend to socket more ICs than necessary. I think you only should socket the 8051/89S51, the SAA1099s, the YM3812 and Y3014B. The TEA2025 should not be socketed due to thermal issues, but I can still attach a small cooler on top of it...

YouTube and Bonus