VOGONS

Reply 40 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far we did not break PCI-e sound card barrier in DOS (with Win98+ its working fine), but i just for fun tried PCI videocard (ATI MACH 64VT2 1 MB) in PCI-E to PCI bridge (Asmedia chipset pci-e to 2x pci - i probably have unupdated version) and Gigabyte X58 MB and its working..
So you can safe / multiply precious PCI slots, or at least have possibility to choose between pci and pci-e slot for video card.. of course there is cable / space hassle.. because you need microatx mb in ATX case, to use not use case card slots.. or if are using standard ATX mb, you need big case with 8+ card slots.. or need to have bridge outside of case (some nice box like for external gpus could be made, from case its just USB cable), or inside in case and vga cable inside too..

I created special thread for PCIe-PCI, PCI-ISA slots back plates, bridges, multipliers etc..:
here

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 41 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some interesting related threads:
Re: The Retro-friendly Modern PC
Ultrasound ACE on Industrial Motherboard w/ no DMA

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 42 of 58, by Doomn00b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd just like to say... this thread, and the work Ruthan has put down in researching and testing these things, are BEYOND epic! : O I had the same kind of mad, mad idea recently, but I had but begun to look into things, when I found Ruthan's info-resources.

Stellar stuff, dude! Keep doing the good work!

Reply 43 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look here its my main thread"
X58/i865/V880 - Yamaha7x4/AurealV1/2 pure Dos7.1- compatibility list/research/ultim. drivers configs, WIP- gurus needed

Reply 44 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In last days i was experimenting with Z170 MB, here are some issues which i have to solve, i can have some half defective MB, but is not probable:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … afbcc550e802f86

Used HW:
- MB - GA-Z170-HD3 - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3-rev-10#ov
- CPU Intel G4400 cheapest CPU which i was able to get for testing (Ultra slimer, i hope that is not missing some needed instructions)
- GPU - KalmX 730 GT 4 GB (DDR 5), i had not problem with it with other machines, some errors are there even if videocard is not under load..
- HDD - Seagate 500 GB - Aida / HWinfo report SMART values as fine, worked with other MB, i not for long time and no some long testing, but all seems to be fine.
- Aureal Vortex 1 PCI sound card - tested with other machines
- Silicon Image 680 PCI controller - but problem were appear even before i added it to system, and other controllers
- Asmedia Sata 106x controller in IDE mode - - but problem were appear even before i added it to system, and other controllers
- Geforce 6200 TurboCache, used only for Win98 and Dos - at least Memtest problem is not related to it, i removed this cards it was the same.
- NEC / Renesas USB3 PCI-E controller, added later later problems, were already here

I tried to exchange some HW to be some that problem is not with it:
- I tried 2 Geforce 730 Gpus
- I tried 2 different ram sticks
- I tried different ram slots

Reply 45 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok Z170 seems to be in fully workable state.

Win98 OpenGL working, i tried even Rloew AHCI driver to onboard sata booting into Win98 - there are 6 Sata ports if you want.. and there is even demo - $21 bucks for full version, $11 for additional CD rom AHCI driver, but licence is per machine 🙁..

WinXP are now fully working too - it took some low level Bios ACPI fixing (or you have to using machine with Multiproccessor MPS mode - without ACPI - it need to setup during install or copy installation from other machine - and add some lines to boot.ini and some files to Windows ), even PAT 4+ GB patch is working, i now i have fast WinXP with 8 GB of RAM.. and will add more, when i will transfer machine into production from just testbench project.
Im able also boot into Dos, at least in realmode with external Asmedia Sata 106x with IDE BIOS - it has AHCI bios by default.. so i only problem which prevents me to reach emptiness (of big issue list) is not working Dos SB emulation - i hope that one day will someone break this barrier too.. at least this MB has LPT to some Dos sound minimal solution.. with OPL3LPT or something like that.

BTW in process i found that even someone make NVME disk booting working with XP:
http://reboot.pro/topic/21812-community-ofa-n … er-2003-r2-sp2/

I like to see barriers falling in the morning!

Reply 46 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I you consider to buy OPL2LPT MB without classic DOS sound support, but with LPT, there is one more reason for it:
Re: The Unofficial OPL2LPT and OPL3LPT demopack (for convienient testing of Adpatch)

Reply 47 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added sheet - VideoCardsCoolers to main document. It can help some people,because slots managment is important and for it you need alternative coolers and there are of course also nice for more silent machines.
You can of course report other cards and coolers..

Reply 48 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some change on MB selection landscape, we finally have XP driver for Intel 21x NIC.. before i recommended Realtek LAN, because of XP driver.. and saving a slot, now it doesnt matter and you can select MB depends on other parameters..
https://msfn.org/board/topic/176687-seaching- … p-32bit-driver/
Thank to Russian Bear..

Reply 49 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added to my sheet, new sheet - FastestSingleSlotCards
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 6e3c6dc17cafb36

I could be handy, if you dont mind noise, or you really can free 2 slots.. Some of them are crazzy as 1 slot 1070, so of them are reasonable as 730/740.. some of them are just cards with water block additional cards for list are welcome.

Reply 50 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Z170 machine is now botting from NVME, details are here:
http://reboot.pro/topic/21812-community-ofa-n … -12#entry210907

Reply 51 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does somebody have experience with these PCI-E NIC + USB, or USB + Sata etc controllers on one card? In theory they could be slot savers..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/StarTech-com-3-port- … E8AAOSwuYVWp6qY
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ugreen-Gigabit-PCI-E … 3kAAOSwblZZHlYT
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ports-USB-3-0-eSAT … 04AAOSwZ3Ja4yLz

Reply 52 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because i made X79 working for pure Dos Sound i made X58 vs. X79 chipset comparision from multiboot view:
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/published.do?rid= … 6e3c6dc17cafb36

Output in one picture:

X58vsX79comparisionImageForm.png
Filename
X58vsX79comparisionImageForm.png
File size
101.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 53 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get hand ons Gigabyte B75 Express Chipset MB - GA-P75-D3P, it tried it because Rayer has similar MB with 6x chipset which is capable of Dos audio.. and someone could prefer some classic desktop MB, instead of X58 workstation MBs.. for example because of 65W/95W vs. 130W cpu TDP and need of big cooler or watercooling for quiet X58 machine.

This one has native intel PCI support and USB3 and UEFI, Serial and Paralle port, so its best MB which i was able to research, but news is there is not primary PCI-E slot selection.. i managed to get working so called Dual GPU stunt in XP / Win7 for ATI / Nvidia.. so slower Radeon x550 is in top slots and Geforce 730 is second slot.. but its more annoying than just set bios profile per os with X58.. there you need start with slower card, start XP boot and after that change monitor output on second card.. In XP you need ATI card enable to make it working, in Win7 you need to disable it.

So far, i dunno if Dos sound will work, if native Intel PCI support is actually good or bad thing, so far i tried only quick test with Yamaha 744 it not worked so far, i havent too much time to fiddle with different slots, Aureals etc.

What is good it has - 4x PCI slots, so can for example have Yamaha / Aureal combo +dedicated DOS video card, or some Datapatch PCI capture card inside, which is not very expensive as PCI-E ones.. but it also limiting number of PCI-E slots - so you can have 2x PCI-E gpus + PCI-E GB ethernet or PCI-E USB3 (with is XP capable on board intel isnt) but not both.. I was always a bit affraid of PCI GB cards, that they could eat all PCI bus bandwith.. or will slower than theoretical - 80-100 MB/s which is achievable with my PCI-E cards and NAS.

Other problem is that DDR3 speed is only 1333 i dunno if its MB limitation (Update: Regarding specs in is MB is capable at least 2200) or CPU limit for testing i just using cheap - Pentium Processor G860 dual core.

Reply 54 of 58, by Doomn00b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, Ruthan, I've ordered a lot of 3 Quadro 1300 (geforce FX 5900, but PCI-E!) - it's currently stuck somewhere - the german guy I bought them from might be trying to rip me off - hopefully eBay will help out. But anyways, if it works out, and it's actually a lot of 3 cards, would you be interested in one of them, for the purpose of testing in the video-card matrix?

It might be the card which has the best balance between compatibility and performance, for Win98 gaming.

ruthan wrote:

What is good it has - 4x PCI slots, so can for example have Yamaha / Aureal combo +dedicated DOS video card, or some Datapatch PCI capture card inside, which is not very expensive as PCI-E ones.. but it also limiting number of PCI-E slots - so you can have 2x PCI-E gpus + PCI-E GB ethernet or PCI-E USB3 (with is XP capable on board intel isnt) but not both.. I was always a bit affraid of PCI GB cards, that they could eat all PCI bus bandwith.. or will slower than theoretical - 80-100 MB/s which is achievable with my PCI-E cards and NAS.

Hmm? What would the purpose of a Datapatch Capture Card, be?

It can be used to upscale from an old g-card to your new monitor?

ruthan wrote:

Other problem is that DDR3 speed is only 1333 i dunno if its MB limitation (Update: Regarding specs in is MB is capable at least 2200) or CPU limit for testing i just using cheap - Pentium Processor G860 dual core.

It's the cpu - it's not strong enough to handle anything quicker than 1333 mhz.

Have a look at the specs here:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Pentium … -Core/G860.html

Reply 55 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, i never had problem with Paypal, they have something like, 180 days return money policy when buyer is not satisfied, yes take as for some proofs, but i never got refused. German is quite rich country and there are quite honest, so i would create some change of rip off by country.. they would be at the end of such list.

Quadro like FX 1300, of course that im interested in.

Datapatch cards, really only about space.. modern machines has only PCI-E slots, so you need PCI-E capture card, quality ones are expensive.. but there are old good ones, quite cheap for PCI, there is long thread for it:
VGA Capture Thread

I also did some sheet about it, but i never had big knowledge about it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_15jB … #gid=1330026216

CPU + MEM - i know, its in original post, Intel is really master of locking features under Paywall.

Reply 56 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally tested GA-P75-D3P and with Yamaha 724 its working so B75 chipset and with high probability other its derivatives (Q75 and Q77) are Dos sound capable.. same as X6X which already made Rayer working.

Reply 57 of 58, by Doomn00b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

I finally tested GA-P75-D3P and with Yamaha 724 its working so B75 chipset and with high probability other its derivatives (Q75 and Q77) are Dos sound capable.. same as X6X which already made Rayer working.

Good going dude - keep it up, my man! = )

The Quadro 1300 finally arrived, sadly, it was only one card... : o So, alas, I can't award you one...

Reply 58 of 58, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you playing with multibooting on new or retro machines need lots of partitioning and backuping and restoring.

So i refreshed my old tables for it and moved it to shared only sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UwjQl … dit?usp=sharing // There are two main sheets

I could help you, its probable that someone has bigger experience with some particular tool and fix some discrepancies in my sheet (comments are enabled), if is someone really in this stuff or want to invest time into i dont have problem to add him editing rights.

Some of there thing need some license and my trials are expired and im lazy to install them to some virtual machine or are hard to test - for example i dont have any raid in my primary machine to test dynamic disk support.

There things seem to be simply, but there is lots of if.. bugs and feature, licensing hooks etc, so its not such simple, or not at least for me.