VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Caynan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to play Starship Titanic on WinXP Home with 1024mb ram and 128mb video ram (Radeon 9600XT). There is only one problem, though it ruins the whole game. Videos fail to display. As the site said it would only fix something entirely different, it is version B. Even if i needed the patch, it is not available from the website anymore. I have reinstalled Indeo Video many times now, no changes. Compatibility mode changes nothing.

Small update due to experimentation: If I just open the videos outside of the game, they work fine.There is thus far no explanation for them not working in-game.

Reply 1 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have run Starship Titanic without a problem on my XP system. I suggest you install Indeo codec 5.1, which does not come with Windows XP, which I believe is the format that ST video uses. (It's somewhere on Intel's web site.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 19, by Caynan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, and i tried a website (not exactly sure it was the intel website, i'll google and try again) and it required me to purchase it...

EDIT: nope, not intel. and apparently they don't have indeo on their site. If you could please link me to a site where i could get it, it would be appreciated. Google yields no results that don't seem shady.

Last edited by Caynan on 2005-05-10, 22:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 19, by Caynan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nevermind, found it. it turned up at about page 3. thanks anyways, and i think i actually got that page before...

er... it still doesn't work...

trying your link, maybe i downloaded the wrong file on accident.

nope. i should probably do something with the compatibility kit then.

that did nothing new, except it ran a little choppy.

Reply 7 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OMG. It can't be that difficult to get indeo codecs installation.

You could try googling for some codec pack (but install it at your own risk). K-Lite Codec pack asks you for which codecs to install.

There are others too.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 19, by Caynan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a full story of how this happened:

I installed Starship Titanic, then ran it. SOME videos (though at the time of original posting i had not known that some would work) refused to play, leaving a black square where they were supposed to be. I tried re-installing Indeo off of SST's CD. Did that same thing a few times more then posted. Downloaded the indeo codec and installed it twice, once in a pack and once standalone. Still nothing. Compatibility mode does nothing. Strangely, I can play the videos just fine in windows media player.

I've got many Indeo installers by now, problem is they don't do anything.

Ideas: 1. change codec? 2. May be caused by my Win XP being post-SP1, as the computer i went through it on the first time with was a pre-sp1 WinXP home. Would deleting SP2 fix it, and more importantly, would deleting SP2 totally screw anything up?

Reply 9 of 19, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Indeo is now owned/produced by Ligos.

A couple of Microsoft Indeo related links here though:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298991/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327979/

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 10 of 19, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had exactly the same problem. The game seems to run fine under XP, but a number of videos don't show, just a black square, though audio works. Installing Indeo codecs didn't work. I never managed to solve the problem. I even tried it again on a fresh installation of XP, but that didn't make a difference, though it runs fine on windows 98.

I've already posted a question about this in this forum, No movies running Starship Titanic on Windows XP, dated 2004-8-28, with title No movies running Starship Titanic on Windows XP, but I never received a reply.

Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings, the problem wasn't finding the required codecs! I found and installed them, but that didn't work.

I'm using SP2 as well. Or maybe it's the video card, it's an ATI 9600 Pro.

Reply 11 of 19, by mandark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just found a solution on http://www.network54.com/Forum/183833/thread/ … on+SP2+solution
It really works! 😁

But it also works a littlebit easier than they said there:

Just get the file "iccvid.dll" in the version of 1.10.0.6. like they said there or download it direktly from http://www.network54.com/Realm/TitanicClips/iccvid.dll
(Link from one of the posts, Rightclick and "Save link as..." )
Then copy the file into the directory you installed the game in, e.g. "D:\Games\Starship Titanic\"
You won't have to do something with your Windows-installation and it still works! (For me, at least) 😉

Have fun!

Reply 12 of 19, by Caynan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can believe that. But why the hell won't that file download for me? It says it downloaded, it appears to download, and yet... No download. When it does work, hopefully the game will run fine. I do want to play Starship Titanic again now...

Reply 14 of 19, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that's handy, there's a second hand original Starship Titanic for £9.99 but I held off getting it in case of this video issue...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 16 of 19, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad to see my VOGONS "Antietam!" post helped someone else's game... 😊

However,

The file link and hosted file in this message thread posting "ICCVID.DLL" might draw the attention of Microsoft, given how this particular version was licenced by Microsoft for distribution with their Widows operating systems. That is the reason that I did not include a file attachment with this particular DLL on my original post back in June, since it appears that the SYSOP of this site wishes to remain unbothered by the legal departments of large companies...

dvwjr

Reply 18 of 19, by ableeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it worked for me as well!

I just copied ICCVID.DLL to the ST folder where the EXE is located, and the videos showed perfectly.

I think I found this file on the original XP disk in the 386 folder (use the RTM version, not the ones with SP2 integrated). It's called ICCVID.DL_ because it's compressed. Just copy this file somewhere, open a command prompt, CD to the folder where you copied the file, and type 'EXPAND ICCVID.DL_ ICCVID.DLL'. Finally copy the DLL to the ST folder, and Bob's your uncle!

Thanks to the guy who found this solution. Great job!

Reply 19 of 19, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ableeker wrote:

Yes, it worked for me as well!

I just copied ICCVID.DLL to the ST folder where the EXE is located, and the videos showed perfectly.

Thanks to the guy who found this solution. Great job!

The problem with just copying the correct ICCVID.DLL to the game sub-directory is that you fixed the problem for JUST that game. The better solution is to put the correct version of ICCVID.DLL into the %windir%\system32 sub-directory. Now ALL games/videos which depend on having a properly functioning ICCVID.DLL codec present.

signed,

"...the guy who found this solution."

dvwjr