VOGONS

Reply 21 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ph4nt0m wrote:

Seems your new VSA-100 chip has balls already, so no need to mess with a stencil. Makes it easier.

Yes, im not very big fan of reballing old crap manually 😀

3DFX - Gone but never forgotten

Reply 23 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sneak peak video about todays work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNJn7Ebybw

And yes it does, no more green bars.

I will put together final video once i get the custom cooling solution machined. Also noticed the card is missing some decoupling capacitors around both GPUs. 10+ years in electronics scrap box did its thing, battle scars. Will repair those as well.

Reply 24 of 49, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kizmo wrote:
Sneak peak video about todays work: […]
Show full quote

I will put together final video once i get the custom cooling solution machined. Also noticed the card is missing some decoupling capacitors around both GPUs. 10+ years in electronics scrap box did its thing, battle scars. Will repair those as well.

So you got it fixed? GREAT! Congrats!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 25 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:
Kizmo wrote:
Sneak peak video about todays work: […]
Show full quote

So you got it fixed? GREAT! Congrats!

Yes it does run perfectly. Passed 3 hour 3dmark loop without any issues.

I keep finding battle scars such as missing capacitors. So far i have replaced 4 capacitors, all of them in GPU power plane. And all of this is because this card spent literally 10+ years in a box of misc junk with little to no protection. But it will come out good.

Reply 26 of 49, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kizmo wrote:

If my source for VSA-100 chips turns out the be good i can offer my services for reasonable price.

In my case the damaged chip was removed with hot air but new chip will be soldered with professional rework machine ( https://www.kurtzersa.com/electronics-product … r-pl-550-1.html ). I have bad experiences trying to solder large BGA chips by handheld hot air station 😀

Nice rig. Just as a curiosity, how much do these machines cost?

Reply 27 of 49, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:
Kizmo wrote:

If my source for VSA-100 chips turns out the be good i can offer my services for reasonable price.

In my case the damaged chip was removed with hot air but new chip will be soldered with professional rework machine ( https://www.kurtzersa.com/electronics-product … r-pl-550-1.html ). I have bad experiences trying to solder large BGA chips by handheld hot air station 😀

this particular one $10-15K, Chinese ones >=$2K

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 28 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote:
infiniteclouds wrote:
Kizmo wrote:

this particular one $10-15K, Chinese ones >=$2K

A $150 temperature controlled industrial heat gun will do the job just fine. You may add underside heating in case of a large GPU with lead-free balls. Something like an infrared electric cooking stove.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 29 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BGA reflow is somewhat simple operation but this machine does more than just heat up the solder. It has prismatic camera aided pick and place function which of course is not needed for ICs this old and large 😀 It is extremely nice to have when you work on something that has 0,3mm balls and no silk screen alignment marks. Like apple products 😁

Heat gun method sure works but having better control adds way more security and repeatability to the entire process.

And i got for almost for nothing, it was discarded from a electronics company as defective tool to be scrapped. Friend of mine rescued it from the scrap pile, repaired it and sold it tome for very reasonable price (price of repair parts)

Reply 30 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kizmo wrote:

And i got for almost for nothing, it was discarded from a electronics company as defective tool to be scrapped. Friend of mine rescued it from the scrap pile, repaired it and sold it tome for very reasonable price (price of repair parts)

That was a bargain for sure. Although when I had to repair something with very small balls like those Volterra power chips, I just soldered them without any balls using the heat gun alone. It worked.

Reply 32 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, i have done few in past.

But mind you i live in Finland so overseas shipping os not a viable option if you happen to live far away outside europe. PM if interested 😀

Reply 33 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtbNU0gHtck

So this is the end for now. Next please? 😀

Now i really have to whip up a high end PC for this card.

im not yet able to respond private messages so if you want to get in touch with me here is my e-mail address:

maili.jpg
Filename
maili.jpg
File size
7.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 36 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dries_86 wrote:

can you fix artifacts at bios on ATI Radeon 9xxx cards ?

I might, but im not sure if its worth of doing

Arctic wrote:

Do you know how to upgrade the card to 128MB?

Yes but so far only PCI version. AGP should be doable but the layout is little bit different so it would require some reverse engineering or asking for modding schematics from somebody who has modded 5500 AGP.

Reply 37 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dries_86 wrote:

can you fix artifacts at bios on ATI Radeon 9xxx cards ?

If it's a 9800 Pro, must be a GPU failure due to poor cooling. A simple reflow without reballing may help. If it doesn't, a GPU replacement needed which is cost prohibitive most likely.

Reply 38 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:

Do you know how to upgrade the card to 128MB?

What's the point? There are numerous compatibility issues. The PCB lacks traces for the additional address strobe which has to be wired manually and that doesn't look pretty.

1e74ag.jpg
2s0zo5c.jpg

I can get much better performance by upgrading the memory chips from 6ns to 4ns of the same 64Mbit density.

Reply 39 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^ My thoughts exactly.

Large memory cards i have seen or heard of seem to be pretty difficult things to get running stable. The mod can be done with smd components, thinner green wire and no hot glue but it is still visible.