VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most appropriate place for this one - I guess! Got the GOG Quake the Offering and wanted to burn the images for use on a separate Win98 system. Progress so far:

Burnt game.gog and game.cue to cd.
Installed Winquake on Win98 system
Updated with GLQuake

Graphics/sounds are working fine no problem there, but no music. Tried putting all variations of the soundtracks (wav,ogg, mp3) in a music directory below id1 to no avail. I've read forums everywhere and ideas are all over the place on this. Should I be seeing the sound track files on the burnt disc? I don't unless they're imbedded in the pak0/pak1.pak files. Doe the winmm.dll file have any bearing in W98? Any tips or what not would be welcome thanks.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 9, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:

You shouldn't be able to see the sound track as files on the burnt disc, they were originally CD audio tracks.

Ok but others have mentioned being to burn the music to a disc? Maybe I need to leave this "rabbit hole alone" and just play Quakespasm on XP.
Just wanted to see if I could transfer the game from the GOG files and play on my Win98 rig rather than buying the actual game disc on ebay.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soundtrack FILES are all source port cruft implementations to substitute for the actual redbook audio. If you want to play the original quake with all of the original music, you're either going to have to burn, or find an original/shareware disc at least as that also has the music neccessary.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 9, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Soundtrack FILES are all source port cruft implementations to substitute for the actual redbook audio. If you want to play the original quake with all of the original music, you're either going to have to burn, or find an original/shareware disc at least as that also has the music neccessary.

Yep, it's been an "education" trying to get it to work but to no avail. Off to ebay/amazon to find a disc!

Reply 5 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming they've just encoded the audio tracks to individual oggs (as GoG typically does), you'd need to decompress each track to a 44.1KHz wave file, edit the .cue file to switch each audio track to the new files, then burn a CD from that .cue.

Reply 6 of 9, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave up on this and switched gears. Now playing around with the dark places port, it's nice but for some reason looks better on my Xp rig than my work pc: i7 coffee lake with gtx 1080.
Have to tweak some settings for running at 1920x 1080, anyone have any tips on what settings to concentrate on?

Reply 7 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't help with DarkPlaces, but for the CD Audio you need to find CD-burning software that can do mixed-mode CD. The first "audio" track on such disk is the game data, and then come audio tracks. Just putting ogg or wav files onto the filesystem won't work.

Here's how to burn such disc with CDBurnerXP:
https://cdburnerxp.se/help/miscellaneous/mixedmode
though it suggests the data track will be the last one, instead of the first one. I don't know if that will work. In any case, Quake never plays track 1, so you may need to add some dummy audio for track 1...

Expect some wasted discs. Or use an RW. Or use a virtual machine to test first.

Reply 8 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote:

Assuming they've just encoded the audio tracks to individual oggs (as GoG typically does), you'd need to decompress each track to a 44.1KHz wave file, edit the .cue file to switch each audio track to the new files, then burn a CD from that .cue.

Or use a burning program that can convert OGG to CD Audio on the fly. I think even older versions of Nero that run on Win98 have OGG plugins.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 9, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
buckeye wrote:
Most appropriate place for this one - I guess! Got the GOG Quake the Offering and wanted to burn the images for use on a separat […]
Show full quote

Most appropriate place for this one - I guess! Got the GOG Quake the Offering and wanted to burn the images for use on a separate Win98 system. Progress so far:

Burnt game.gog and game.cue to cd.
Installed Winquake on Win98 system
Updated with GLQuake

Graphics/sounds are working fine no problem there, but no music. Tried putting all variations of the soundtracks (wav,ogg, mp3) in a music directory below id1 to no avail. I've read forums everywhere and ideas are all over the place on this. Should I be seeing the sound track files on the burnt disc? I don't unless they're imbedded in the pak0/pak1.pak files. Doe the winmm.dll file have any bearing in W98? Any tips or what not would be welcome thanks.

I ran into the same problem, received help and solved the problem here:
Phil's "Playing GOG.com games on your MS-DOS Gaming PC" Thread

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.