VOGONS

Reply 20 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Totos82 wrote:

Pleasepleasepleaseplease i need bios file Ga.04.02 please you are my last hope!

I'll dump the BIOS next time I use the machine. Sorry I haven't replied until now. Haven't logged into Vogons for a little while.

Reply 21 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I finally replaced the battery. It actually uses a BR2325 battery, but I used a CR2032 and it seems to save settings now. Still having the hard drive issue, however...

Reply 22 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What kind of HDD is in there ? Is it a quantum ?
Have you checked if the IDE cable is ok or not ?
You could also run memtest86

Have you been in the bios setup and used the "reset to setup default" ? Sometimes some values you don't see are not in the correct state and can only be set properly this way

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 23 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll do all that very soon because suddenly the computer is now extremely temperamental about even booting up... It often just keeps detecting the drive as 0MB.

Fyi, I'm almost certain the drive itself is good.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2019-03-04, 20:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I swapped IDE cables and it didn't help at all. In fact, for whatever reason the machine is running a lot slower than before. The post beep is noticeably longer... Also, Memtest86 just makes the computer reset as soon as it starts to test the memory.

Reply 26 of 63, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

So, I swapped IDE cables and it didn't help at all. In fact, for whatever reason the machine is running a lot slower than before. The post beep is noticeably longer... Also, Memtest86 just makes the computer reset as soon as it starts to test the memory.

Well, clearly then there's more wrong with that machine than just weird hard disk behaviour. Memtest86 is a tried and tested memory testing program, so if it causes your system to reset...

Try replacing the RAM by known good modules, or put the current modules in another machine and run Memtest86 on that system - If the modules also give problems on another system, replace them.

Reply 27 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's odd, though, is that Memtest86 also does the same thing in an emulator (PCem)...

I had an older version of Memtest86 I know worked without problems on older hardware. I'll have to try and find it.

EDIT: Just looked it up and someone else on Vogons had the same problem with running Memtest on a 486.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2019-03-05, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah you need an old version, I have the same issue on my 486s. Somebody should test which is the last version of memtest86 that works on 386-486s I think

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 29 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Memtest86+ 4.0 and that worked fine. No RAM errors detected. Other than the hard drive issue, though, I don't get why it's seemingly running slower than before. Did I somehow mess up a jumper?

Reply 30 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you've replaced the CMOS battery, have you selected "reset to bios defaults" in the bios or something like that ? Maybe cache is now disabled in the bios ?

Reply 31 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps that's what it is, yeah. All these worse problems occurred when I changed the battery. Come to think of it, in Memtest L1 ad L2 cache came up as "unknown." I don't remember seeing a default settings option in the BIOS, though, but we'll see when I get back to it later tonight.

Reply 36 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So no, the 40GB Western Digital drive will not work with this machine. It shows up as an 8GB drive, as expected, but since no HDD will work in auto detect mode, I have to put everything in custom, and it won't actually let me put any number of heads higher than 127 myself (it needs to be 255). When I settle for that, the drive shows up as C: and can be formatted, but no data can be written.

Btw, I'm sure the 1.2GB drive isn't the problem because I said before it works fine on my other computers.

Reply 37 of 63, by Totos82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:
Totos82 wrote:

Pleasepleasepleaseplease i need bios file Ga.04.02 please you are my last hope!

I'll dump the BIOS next time I use the machine. Sorry I haven't replied until now. Haven't logged into Vogons for a little while.

Thank you so much!! Ill wait...

Reply 38 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That computer probably doesn't support LBA. Have you tried Ontrack disk manager ?

Reply 39 of 63, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

That computer probably doesn't support LBA. Have you tried Ontrack disk manager ?

Yup, give Ontrack a try or EZ-drive.

My retro collection: too much...