VOGONS

First post, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Guys, i have a question, this wire on PCB is stock or some kind of repair?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good question. You should start digging through old magazines. Here is one starting link:

https://books.google.com/books/about/PC_Mag.h … id=WwMCsPuGSLEC

4000 USD. That was serious money…

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 9, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The wire seems to be original from factory. Most likely they did a mistake in PCB design and found out only after some serious amount of units was already made.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 9, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok Guys, i found this card http://www.os2museum.com/wp/two-more-tigas/

Wire is factory made so i can check if this card is working or not, i was affraid its handmade repaired And i can burin my motherboard, now i’m cool

Reply 7 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
havli wrote:

The wire seems to be original from factory. Most likely they did a mistake in PCB design and found out only after some serious amount of units was already made.

Yup. I heard these were als known as "patch wires". If the mistake was tiny and simple to fix, it was easier to let the assembly person fix things.
Even for medium scale productions this seems to have been a common method of fixing things.
Not sure exactly why, though. Perhaps it was too costly/cumbersome to hold production and change the factory programme.
Anyway, this reminds me of my AST RAMpage 286 (EMS card).. It also has got some yellow wires on the backside. 😀

Edit:@n0m4d Good luck! You can also use Windows 3.10 for initial testing, if you like.
It supports TIGA. Provided, that the card's TIGA "runtime" (interface) was loaded beforehand.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 9, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
n0m4d wrote:

Hello Guys, i have a question, this wire on PCB is stock or some kind of repair?

Yeah, this was actually pretty common on older boards like this. I have a 286 motherboard with some patch work like this done from the factory.

Reply 9 of 9, by 5150dole

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I've even seen PCBs that used wires in lieu of an additional layer, as part of their design, back when multilayer board fabrication was $$$.
This one's clearly a factory bodge wire though. From back when even the factory had a culture of repair. Shout-out to Louis Rossmann.