VOGONS

Reply 41 of 49, by Kizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
junglemontana wrote:

Just for curiosity, are these GPU chips you bought original surplus ones, or does some Chinese company manufacture new chips for hobbyists?

Original surplus for sure. More than likely after the shutdown of 3DFX manufacturing plants all unused proprietary ICs were sent to be scrapped as e-waste and someone saved them before the crusher.

3DFX - Gone but never forgotten

Reply 43 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It isn't very complicated to design a Glide compatible GPU. It's a problem to sell it because all 3Dfx intellectual property belongs to NVIDIA. No one wants to be sued hard.

OTOH it's possible to manufacture clone PCBs for the V5 5500 or 6000 and use those surplus chips to produce replicas.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 44 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kizmo wrote:
junglemontana wrote:

Just for curiosity, are these GPU chips you bought original surplus ones, or does some Chinese company manufacture new chips for hobbyists?

Original surplus for sure. More than likely after the shutdown of 3DFX manufacturing plants all unused proprietary ICs were sent to be scrapped as e-waste and someone saved them before the crusher.

When 3Dfx went bankrupt, it was very likely their remaining assets were auctioned off to pay the creditors.

Reply 45 of 49, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ph4nt0m wrote:

It isn't very complicated to design a Glide compatible GPU. It's a problem to sell it because all 3Dfx intellectual property belongs to NVIDIA. No one wants to be sued hard.

Somehow I imagine flying under the radar is easier than recreating the chip itself

Reply 46 of 49, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does a V1 Chip fit inside a FPGA ? ;D

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 47 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Does a V1 Chip fit inside a FPGA ? ;D

Voodoo Graphics is 3 chips: FBI, TREX and DAC. Banshee was the 1st single chip design, ~4 million transistors. V3 is ~7 million. VSA-100 is ~14 million. Neither is a problem for modern high end FPGAs.

Reply 48 of 49, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a us ebay seller that is selling the vsa chips for around $22 usd shipped, and they claim to have around 270 available.

Reply 49 of 49, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tannerstevo wrote:

Just in case anyone is interested, there is a us ebay seller that is selling the vsa chips for around $22 usd shipped, and they claim to have around 270 available.

I saw his ad. Rev. 220 chips unfortunately. Rev. 320 are more worthy to buy. I'm looking for Voodoo 3 chips because I have a number of cards pulled from arcade machines with dead chips due to overheating.