VOGONS

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see it's defaulting to the SCSI hard drive/CD-ROM drivers, while it's supposed to be using ATA(for HDD) and ATAPI(for CD-ROM) drivers instead?

Anyone has an idea how to fix this? I'm using a Compaq Deskpro 386 emulation (UniPCemu) with the XT-IDE HDD BIOS for hard disk booting(and floppy disk images for installing NT3.1, floppies(3 of them) and CD-ROM image for NT4).

Edit: Managed to find a copy of the ATAPI.EXE for the NT4 update, perhaps it'll help.

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never got NT 3.1 to see any ATAPI CD-ROM drives.
Back then, SCSI CD-ROM drives and proprietary interface were much more common.
If my memory serves me well, the Trantor SCSI interface of my PAS16 and the controller card of the Mitsumi LU005 were supported, among others..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another strange thing is, I've managed to find the data for the SP6 floppy ATAPI.EXE (From https://www.helpjet.net/Fs-85106202-75843699- … 82-extract.html ) that's supposed to improve large hdd support. I've opened it with 7-zip, extracted it's contents, then copied that to a freshly generated 1.44MB floppy disk image by UniPCemu.

But when selecting Other instead of Standard PC from disk 1(pressing F5 while detecting hardware and after it's starting to load as well(just to be sure), inserting the disk into the A-drive, it tells me it can't find any supplements(or something like that) on the disk? It then tells me to insert disk 1 again and goes back to the selection menu?

That happens both on NT3.1 and NT4.0?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 3 of 4, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just found out some bug in my ATAPI emulation. The result of the Read Capacity command was backwards, in little endian format, instead of big endian format(as is supposed to be the case). Whoops!

Edit: The same appears to have been wrong with the sector size reported by the very same command.

Although oddly enough, when loading itself, AMI Diagnostics 5 seems to insist on reading past the end of the disk with the "Initializing CD Tray Test ..." at the bottom(the loading stage)?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 4 of 4, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do see some EPM(End of Media) bit in the error register that's not used. How does that bit work with ATAPI?

UniPCemu Git repository