VOGONS

Reply 40 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By the way, have you made a backup of the BIOS ? I need that for my page about HP vectras ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 41 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I haven't backed it up yet. I've tried doing so and I keep just getting an empty file.

Also, I managed to find another hard drive that works with this machine and the problem still remains...

Reply 42 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

have you tried the earliest version of uniflash possible (available here : http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19455) ? it managed to backup the bios of my HP vectra successfully !

How big is the new hdd ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 43 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, I think I was able to dump the BIOS. I'll upload it soon.

The hard drive is 1.2GB, similar to the old one. By the way, I want to benchmark this drive, but Speedsys always gets stuck at "Determining Memory Type." Any ideas on that?

Reply 45 of 63, by Totos82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:

Thank you very much!!!!!! You are the first, who uploaded this bios in the whole wide internet!!!!!! Thank you again!! You are a god!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply 46 of 63, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replace the hard drive! The pauses is early sign of failure on early hard drive is not as sophisticated as later hard drives were.

You can use any PATA up to 40GB or so, hard drive even the computer sees it as 8GB, just go ahead and partition with your favorite OS.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 47 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote:

Replace the hard drive! The pauses is early sign of failure on early hard drive is not as sophisticated as later hard drives were.

You can use any PATA up to 40GB or so, hard drive even the computer sees it as 8GB, just go ahead and partition with your favorite OS.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

I just said I replaced it with another one of a similar size, and it has the same issue. I doubt both drives themselves are somehow bad in the exact same way.

Reply 48 of 63, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:
pentiumspeed wrote:

Cheers, pentiumspeed

I just said I replaced it with another one of a similar size, and it has the same issue. I doubt both drives themselves are somehow bad in the exact same way.

...unless the problem is the hard disk controller.

If you have a controller card you could try whether your problems go away if you use that. But before that, try drive overlay software.

Reply 49 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have a controller card on hand. What would you recommend for a 486? Also, at least with the on-board IDE, the HDD reads at about 1.7mb per second. Is that considered acceptable for a 486?

Reply 50 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks allright, my vectra performs at 1.8MB/sec

However with an ISA controller it might be slower. I suspect the "VL" in the name of the computer to mean "VLB" (or it's just for the "VLSI" chipset that's inside)

Reply 51 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see. Other than the already known stuck access issue, this drive seems to work fine. The only different speed-related thing I noticed compared to the old drive is that it actually takes about 2 seconds to create a directory, which I don't think I've ever seen before. Microsoft Office on Win 3.1 took ages to install (assuming because it has lots of different folders).

Reply 52 of 63, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry that this is an old thread, but I got back to tackling the issue again. I took out the CPU and it is a DX2-66, and not a 50mhz one like the BIOS says. Hmm...

Reply 56 of 63, by sylon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2019-03-10, 04:41:

Hi! Can you tell me how you backed the Vectra's bios? I tried uniflash (pci bus not found error) and nssi (made a 66kb bio file)..
Thanks!!!

Reply 57 of 63, by sylon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sylon wrote on 2021-04-14, 19:50:
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2019-03-10, 04:41:

Hi! Can you tell me how you backed the Vectra's bios? I tried uniflash (pci bus not found error) and nssi (made a 66kb bio file)..
Thanks!!!

Ok its worked! 😀 With an older uniflash.. 1.18..
Actually I found someone who has a VL2 with a Ga.04.06 bios, that's why i needed.
Now i have to figuredout how to flash it back to my Vectra 😀

Reply 58 of 63, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you share that version with us ? I'd like to add it here 😀 http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7243

Reply 59 of 63, by sylon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2021-04-14, 20:30:

Can you share that version with us ? I'd like to add it here 😀 http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7243

Of course! As soon as i get it! 😀